Request for New Sticky: Please tell us... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think one thing that would really help AVSers give other AVSers accurate recommendations on parts and builds when requesting advice on what to build would be to know HOW you plan on using your HTPC.

At anandtech they have the following sticky...
Quote:
NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell us...
PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution will you be using?

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

At the end of the day it's your money. There's only so much we can do.

We have tried to do this once before and it really fell flat. What I would like to do is get some ideas together on what categories of questions we would like to have included. After its posted as a sticky we could have people asking advice for a build fill it out at the top of their request. This would really help with communication and ensure that we give them accurate information on their build and what is --- and more importantly is NOT --- needed for their project.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 997
I would say keep it simple. That's asking a lot of a newbie poster.

We don't need to know if they are overclocking- or what resolution they run.

I think we just assume no overclock, and HDTV resolution. If it does 1080p (and they all do basically) I don't think it matters. If someone is overclocking, they know enough about that to even know what it is so that thread goes a different direction. I'd just suggest we don't hammer someone who says they want to overclock.

Personally- I am performance guy and I have Z77 and 3570k in my HTPC. But it's set totally stock so it runs cool and quiet. I have it set to save energy not waste it. I have the fans set on low- and even the temp tolerance a bit higher. I don't see any value in overclocking my HTPC. I'd say remove that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would say:

1- How do you plan to use your system. What do you want it to do?

2- Your budget. If your limited where you can purchase from make mention for appropriate advice.

3- Hardware you already own or purchased, or hardware you have a brand preference for or have your eye on.

That's it.

They rest the poster will ask about or figure out. You can't use a PC without software so if you have it or need it- I don't think that matters. End of the day your going to need a player, operating system and all the other stuff to use it. Most that stuff is online downloadable.
Stuff like Mediacentermaster, MakeMKV, Mediabrowser or XBMC- PLEX, and so on--- it's all available online. A noob should just ask- or purchase a guide for higher clarity.

If someone said those three things I listed - I think we could help them better.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Guess the forum is not interested in this idea.

I will let it die then.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We have tried it before. There is only a handful of full time posters so threads like these don't catch on people people just run out of what to say. I think it's a great idea to have a rule or something- it avoids the first five posts asking the same questions.

I would just throw one up if you have the power. Just make it short and sweet.

-

post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm much more interested in software - XBMC, Win7MC, etc. rather than hardware.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think it's a great idea to have a rule or something- it avoids the first five posts asking the same questions.
Just because you post a sticky with "rules" does not mean that people will read or follow them. It's obvious many posters do not even bother to use the search function so why would they bother to follow the posting rules?

Also, I think we'd need to know what OS they plan to use. The rest of the software does not matter much when it comes to h/w choices but I think that the OS can play a role.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would assume windows 7 64 bit. That's like 90% or more of the builds around here.

-

post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 14
^^Agreed. Maybe just include a statment indicating that we will assume they will be using win7 64-bit unless otherwise specified.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
It will never fix the "I am going to build a HTPC to watch TV and movies, what do I need?"

Good idea? Yes, but it would take the Moderators deleting posts and users ignoring those posts to get people to realize they should at least browse a while to figure out what they want and how to articulate it.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

I'm much more interested in software - XBMC, Win7MC, etc. rather than hardware.

I used to hang out on The Green Button before Microsoft nuked that site. I felt like it was more software centric, and AVS was always hardware focused.

There are so many good snippets of info all over the net, its a bummer there really isnt one repository. Hack7MC has some good stuff, Assassins site/guides have good stuff, madeformediacenter has good stuff, its just all over the place.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page