GD05B question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm noticing people talking about putting an ssd and two 3.5" HDD in this unit. The manual isn't clear on this. I know the website says
Quote:
Even though GD05’s diminutive size allows it to easily integrate into any home theater cabinet, it can still accommodate an impressive list of standard components such as 5.25” device, two 3.5” hard drives, a 2.5” SSD, a standard ATX power supply, and two high-end graphics cards up to 11 inches.

I had always misread and thought you could only use two 3.5" HDD, two 2.5" SSD / HDD, or one SSD & one HDD.

Page 10 of the installation guide is not clear to me. http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-GD05-Manual.pdf

Figure A appears to show attaching two 3.5" HDD, and there appears to be an SSD or 2.5" HDD in that picture, but it doesn't really show then where you are mounting it....at least to me. rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have some good pictures of two 3.5" and one SSD installed in this case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It can fit...

Two 3.5" hard drives
One 2.5" drive
One 5.25" drive
post #3 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

So I take it they are hanging the front HDD upside down, unlike in the 14 A diagram, so that half the HDD hangs out of the drive bay to allow an SSD mounted above it? Basically, flip the HDD over from what is shown in diagram 14 A for that front HDD (HDD cover facing down, PCB portion of HDD up, then 2.5" SSD mounted inside drive bay cover and facing near the PCB side of the HDD).
post #4 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 PM

1x HDD hangs upside down above the PSU, 1x HDD hangs correct way up below the front SSD location and 1x SSD hangs upside down above the HDD at the front. Does that make sense?

David
post #5 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

1x HDD hangs upside down above the PSU, 1x HDD hangs correct way up below the front SSD location and 1x SSD hangs upside down above the HDD at the front. Does that make sense?
David
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure with it not upside down if there was room for the SSD or if it was too close / hot between the two drives without the 3.5" next to it upside down. Thanks!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought that the description was misleading and was pretty pissed off when I couldn't fit a bunch of drives in it. In the end, I just pulled out the bracked and shoved a SST-CFP53B Hard Drive Cage in between the PSU and the front of the case to hold 3x5.25" drives. I just laid my SSD boot drive in the bottom of the case. I'm actually happy that I was forced to do this, as the cage has some nice rubber mounts that help reduce the HDD noise. Also the side fan blows right on to the drives.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 10
This is my first HTPC build.

I'm going to install a SSD and one 3.5" HDD. The SATA cables that came with the PSU and motherboard don't seem to be very useful because they have L-shaped right angle connectors on them. The right angles are the wrong way, pointing the wires into the GD05B's mounting bracket, case lid, and RAM sticks. The in-line connectors don't look like they can be used either. I think I will buy separate SATA cables for each drive with straight connectors on each end.

Should I install the HDD only after I have installed the OS (Windows 8) on the SSD?

I bought a 3.5" HDD bare drive not a kit. Besides the SATA III power & data sockets there's a small 2-pin socket. What is that for? None of the datasheets I can find online tells me.

ASRock H77M motherboard data connections (2 x SATA3, 4 x SATA2):

SATA3_0 - SSD
SATA3_1 - HDD
SATA2_2 - Optical Drive

Is this right?

Thanks in advance for help & suggestions.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonywaist View Post

This is my first HTPC build.
SATA3_0 - SSD
SATA3_1 - HDD
SATA2_2 - Optical Drive
Is this right?
Thanks in advance for help & suggestions.

SSD to SATA3, and the rest doesn't matter. HDD and optical drive speeds aren't enough to max. out SATA2. If you get another SSD, then hook it up to SATA3 also, so maybe just leave SATA3_1 free.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM

I don't have HDD LED function, only the blue power LED. I connected the 2 wires to the System Panel Header not the HDD. Pin #1 is +.

What color is the HDD LED supposed to be and how does it work with an ASRock H77M Mobo?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonywaist View Post

I don't have HDD LED function, only the blue power LED. I connected the 2 wires to the System Panel Header not the HDD. Pin #1 is +.

What color is the HDD LED supposed to be and how does it work with an ASRock H77M Mobo?

Leave the hdd led disconnected. Its annoying and distracting imo and not really needed anyway.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Leave the hdd led disconnected. Its annoying and distracting imo and not really needed anyway.

Is it supposed to do something? I have it connected to the mobo, and nothing happens, I just have the blue power LED always lit.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

Is it supposed to do something? I have it connected to the mobo, and nothing happens, I just have the blue power LED always lit.

You could have the polarity of theHDD indicator connector reversed . With power off, reverse the connector on the MOBO, then restart. You'll know
right away if that fixed it.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

The same LED increases and decreases intensity when there is HDD activity.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 AM

It can fit...

Four 3.5" hard drives
One 2.5" drive

If you don't use a dvd/bd drive. Just drill 4 holes in 5,25 cage for 3rd drive and mount it BELOW cage, 4th drive in 5,25 cage mounted with rails
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page