[Build Pics] My i7 2600K HTPC Build with Silverstone CW02 case. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I built my HTPC few months back and i wanted to share with you with what i finally managed to put togather for this build, I know an i7 2600K is an extreme overkill for an HTPC. Due to a short circuit within the PC, my previous desktop's motherboard got fried taking down most of the components. Hence i had to build a desktop.. thinking why not kill two birds with a single stone, hence brought all the components of a performance PC and added it to an HTPC, which now i use the system for both the needs.. encoding.. programming but its mostly used as an HTPC.

The components i choose were.

CPU : intel i7 2600K
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
PSU : CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Heatsink : Thermalright Silver Arrow
Case : SilverStone CW02
SSD : Crucial M4 128GB
Media Disk Drive : LITE-ON iHBS212-08 LightScribe
GPU : ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5
120mm Fans : Gentle Typhoon
80mm Fans : SilentX
Lots of noise dampning stuff

I particularly choose this case cos of its spaciousness. Forever since i was reading about setting up a desktop i wanted to install a noctua or a silver arrow cpu cooler. I do game occationally on a PC other than the XBox, hence wanted a solid air cooling solution. Thermalright SilverArrow was the best at the time and the tallest cooler. For this i wanted to make sure that the HTPC case is tall enough to accept this cooling tower.

The cpu cooler is surely tall, here are all the accessories that came along with the cooler.

Ready to mount the i7 CPU

Real tight timings on this one. Timing 7-8-7-24. Cas Latency 7

Mounted to the motherboard

Thermalright Silverstone mounted to the motherboard, and no issues with the clearence between the RAM heatsink

The Cooling tower drawfs the motherboard. biggrin.gif

Gentle Typhoons, The best of 120mm fans.

I know i am overdoing it, but the case houses 6 HDD's hence trying to minimize noise.

It used to look like that,

Now, after swapping with the Gentle Typhoons.

These are optional fans for HDD's, thats mounted below on the bed.

tongue.gif

Enought clearence between the Heatsink and the exhaust (Gentle Typhoons)

Hard Disks added, the heatsink sits plush in between the exhaust fan and the hdd tray

All hdd's added, PSU added, SSD attached to the top of the HDD trays with a velcro. Its a mess right now..

Control panel of the VFD, trying to make space for cable management.

Just wanted to let people know that if anyone is considering the CW02 case, and a taller Heatsink... you will get enough clearence and almost any cooler will fit this HTPC case.

Even thought it was kind of a tight spot after adding all these HDD's and a giganormous cooler, there was little scope for cleaning up and cable manament.

Hated the shorter power supply cord that came with the PSU... gotta get an extension.

Did not wanted to waste HDD space, hence added the SSD to the top of the HDD bays using velcro

The execution has been a little tight, but still it did go through.

Its a big graphic card, but the CW02 case swallows it as well.

I still have to take some post setup pics with the VFD screen, will do that soon, once i receive SuperMicro my storage chassis and post build pictures all along.

The HTPC/gaming rig has taken up everything i have thrown at it. Extremly satisfied with this setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Looking good!

Do you overclock ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Holy ginormity.

Love the use of velcro, btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Looking good!
Do you overclock ?

Thanks..
Overclock, not yet.. 80% of the times i have been just using this as an HTPC only, infact until i've played Crysis 2, and Dirt 3 havent seen the system asking for more, Not sure if video encoding can make use of a overclocked CPU, does it? I've done some CPU instensive tasks on VMWare on this system, never seen any lag. Any other gains other than games.. if not.. i will rest in peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Holy ginormity.
Love the use of velcro, btw.

If i had'nt had your HTPC guide i would not have had the confidence enough for this build. Now using your server guide to build a storage server that will attach to this HTPC.

This forum and the members gave me a lot of inspiration, tips and tricks. I had never build a PC before.. this was my first one. I did a lot of reading in here.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

If i had'nt had your HTPC guide i would not have had the confidence enough for this build. Now using your server guide to build a storage server that will attach to this HTPC.
This forum and the members gave me a lot of inspiration, tips and tricks. I had never build a PC before.. this was my first one. I did a lot of reading in here.

That's awesome man. Congrats on a very impressive build. And one hell of a build for your first ever.

And welcome to HTPC!

post #6 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'd have pushed the budget out to a 7970/680 for sheer gaming grunt (if you are a gamer) and maybe a newer Z77 chipset, but there is nothing really wrong with your build at all.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

I'd have pushed the budget out to a 7970/680 for sheer gaming grunt (if you are a gamer) and maybe a newer Z77 chipset, but there is nothing really wrong with your build at all.

That will be an intresting build. Please do post pictures when you are done.
I had been buying the components bit by bit over a period of 5 months, hence i never felt the purse getting burnt cos of this build, i guess CPU was the first thing i brought from MicroCenter and Z77 based CPU was not out yet.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That will be an intresting build. Please do post pictures when you are done.
I had been buying the components bit by bit over a period of 5 months, hence i never felt the purse getting burnt cos of this build, i guess CPU was the first thing i brought from MicroCenter and Z77 based CPU was not out yet.

I was going say I thought you did this earlier than now.

There's not any significant difference between z68 and z77 anyways.

Asus z68 is solid stuff. You can overclock both ddr3 and CPU perfectly. In fact z68 and Sandy is a bit more stable than z77 with IVY. Sandy tolerates being pushed more.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was going say I thought you did this earlier than now.
There's not any significant difference between z68 and z77 anyways.
Asus z68 is solid stuff. You can overclock both ddr3 and CPU perfectly. In fact z68 and Sandy is a bit more stable than z77 with IVY. Sandy tolerates being pushed more.

Nice.. yay!!smile.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Check some youtube videos on overclocks with that board and CPU.

-

post #11 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check some youtube videos on overclocks with that board and CPU.

Sounds good, i will spend this weekend OC,ing the RAM, GPU and the CPU/MOBO.

Assassin,

Using your guide it was a cakewalk with setting up XBMC. I had reviewed other guides but they werent as clear.
Here is what finally came out. Its still in the very initial stage, i still have to attach my other disks through the storage server that contains most of the movies to the HTPC.

I have a huge collection of Music Video's, concerts etc.

I have a query here, if someone can reply...

All the DTS formats work through XBMC.. DTS-HDMA, TrueHD etc.
However the same sound formats dont work through Total Media Theater or PowerDVD or classic media player.
My receiver is capable of supporting all the audio formats its a Denon 4311CI receiver. Again the above sound formats work through XBMC, and the receiver's LCD screen shows the sound format being played as DTS-HDMA when played through XBMC, however through other players its dolby digital or EX or PLII or NEO.
Any help appreciated.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Right.

Some players can bitstream HD audio like HDmaster or Dolby True. Some can not.

It has to do with Codecs you use or the player.

Shark007 on WMC will do it.

XBMC with the right install build will too.

Not sure about the other ones. I don't use them. Only other player I use is VLC because it's really easy to use and plays anything, even problem stuff.

-

post #13 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right.
Some players can bitstream HD audio like HDmaster or Dolby True. Some can not.
It has to do with Codecs you use or the player.
Shark007 on WMC will do it.
XBMC with the right install build will too.
Not sure about the other ones. I don't use them. Only other player I use is VLC because it's really easy to use and plays anything, even problem stuff.

Right, the updated versions of Total Media Theater and PowerDVD both should bitstream HDMA and TrueHD formats, i checked their faqs.
XBMC does it for me... but not sure why not with TMT or PowerDVD.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

However the same sound formats dont work through Total Media Theater or PowerDVD or classic media player.
My receiver is capable of supporting all the audio formats its a Denon 4311CI receiver. Again the above sound formats work through XBMC, and the receiver's LCD screen shows the sound format being played as DTS-HDMA when played through XBMC, however through other players its dolby digital or EX or PLII or NEO.
Any help appreciated.

smile.gif

One more player, one more set of settings

Not always the case, but with TMT you have to set up HDMI passthrough in the audio options

http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/tutorial/how-to-set-audio-output.html
post #15 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

smile.gif
One more player, one more set of settings
Not always the case, but with TMT you have to set up HDMI passthrough in the audio options
http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/tutorial/how-to-set-audio-output.html

Dark_Slayer, I tried all these options in TMT earlier, even the advanced audio options.. nothing works, the only thing my receiver detects is DTS Surround.
However when i play the same movie in XBMC, its prefectly bitstreaming HD-Master Audio. Thanks to assassin for that perfect XBMC setup tutorial.
What non-xbmc player do you use? And does it bitstream the real content?
post #16 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just set up mediaplayer per assassin guides and use the SHARK007 codec pack.

You can set mediaplayer as external player if needed.

Do you have Jriver?

-

post #17 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Jriver's MC17 & 18 fully support bitstreaming. You should check it out.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, to really troubleshoot would require answering a lot of questions, but I don't really know a ton about TMT

First things first
  1. Arcsoft's TMT and TME packages FULLY support bitstreaming HD audio
  2. They also have menu support for blu ray (guessing this is why you are trying them out)
  3. They offer blu ray plaback from the drive without any other software
  4. They don't require additional codec packs
  5. I used their trial and was impressed, had Mediabrowser with Shark's pack and XMBC setup all at the same time and still had bitstreaming everywhere

Now the questions (these will really help you get better support from someone who knows more about it)

I know that TMT supports the PAP (protected audio path) for playback on encrypted discs and isos. I never thought to try any of the mkv rips I had made while I was using the TMT trial, but it's possible that they don't support HD audio from mkv or decrypted iso?? Someone else here surely knows more
post #19 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Okay, to really troubleshoot would require answering a lot of questions, but I don't really know a ton about TMT
First things first
  1. Arcsoft's TMT and TME packages FULLY support bitstreaming HD audio
  2. They also have menu support for blu ray (guessing this is why you are trying them out)
  3. They offer blu ray plaback from the drive without any other software
  4. They don't require additional codec packs
  5. I used their trial and was impressed, had Mediabrowser with Shark's pack and XMBC setup all at the same time and still had bitstreaming everywhere
Now the questions (these will really help you get better support from someone who knows more about it) I know that TMT supports the PAP (protected audio path) for playback on encrypted discs and isos. I never thought to try any of the mkv rips I had made while I was using the TMT trial, but it's possible that they don't support HD audio from mkv or decrypted iso?? Someone else here surely knows more

My apologies for the delay in replying, it was my half day today on friday so i got to mess around with my HTPC.
Firstly i wanted to thank you for taking time to reply to my query and coming up wiht these test plans. Infact my problem got resolved.

Mfusick's earlier suggestion of installing Shark007 resolved the issue. Infact you mentioned the same thing with the post above.
I was following Assassins guide, and i choose to ignore WMC, hence the part of installing LAV or Shark007 was skipped. I directly started installing and using XBMC. Where XBMC was working fine, and was bitstreaming DTS-HDMA and TrueHD flawlessly. However due to the skip in the codec, other third party players did not bitstream. Now all DTS formats are bitstreamed to Total Media Theater and PowerDVD without issues. And the sound quality with watching blueray copies on Total Media Theater is better than XBMC. tried and tested hence this statement.

Dark_Slayer and Mfusick, thanks so much for fixing this issue for me.. I have been sitting on this issue since 2 months without a trace.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to know that fixed it, but technically it should have been working without Shark's codecs. The problems on their forums are usually some AMD driver / TMT version mismatch. Oh well, just sit back and enjoy! No fixing things that aren't broke

That Silver Arrow cooler looks wicked!
post #21 of 25 Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

how big is that cooler ????

-

post #22 of 25 Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dimensions H x D x W (inches, with fans), 6.6 x 5.1 x 6.8. Weight, 2 lbs, 7.6 oz.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I built my HTPC few months back and i wanted to share with you with what i finally managed to put togather for this build, I know an i7 2600K is an extreme overkill for an HTPC. Due to a short circuit within the PC, my previous desktop's motherboard got fried taking down most of the components. Hence i had to build a desktop.. thinking why not kill two birds with a single stone, hence brought all the components of a performance PC and added it to an HTPC, which now i use the system for both the needs.. encoding.. programming but its mostly used as an HTPC.

The components i choose were.

CPU : intel i7 2600K
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
PSU : CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Heatsink : Thermalright Silver Arrow
Case : SilverStone CW02
SSD : Crucial M4 128GB
Media Disk Drive : LITE-ON iHBS212-08 LightScribe
GPU : ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5
120mm Fans : Gentle Typhoon
80mm Fans : SilentX
Lots of noise dampning stuff

looks cool. What was final price tag?

Where can I find the HTPC and Server guides you referred to?
post #24 of 25 Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sounds good, i will spend this weekend OC,ing the RAM, GPU and the CPU/MOBO.

Assassin,

Using your guide it was a cakewalk with setting up XBMC. I had reviewed other guides but they werent as clear.
Here is what finally came out. Its still in the very initial stage, i still have to attach my other disks through the storage server that contains most of the movies to the HTPC.

I have a huge collection of Music Video's, concerts etc.

Any help appreciated.

Looks incredible!

post #25 of 25 Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Show us your server !!!

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page