Slingbox to stream HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did a search, but didn't find anything (outside of a thread I made myself a few years back that was trying to do something a bit different). The Slingbox 500 has HDMI support. Anyone ever try hooking it up to an HTPC with HDMI out? I can't see anything that says its not compatible, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has tried it.

Essentially what I have been trying unsuccessfully to do for a quite a while is replicate my HTPC on two screens. The second screen is just a small TV in my wife's art studio. Right now I use an XBox360 as an extender, which is fine for TV, but has the obvious limitations when it comes to ripped movies. I tried duplicating the display onto two screens at the HTPC (video card has DVI and HDMI) which worked fine on everything but TV (Kept getting HDCP errors). I'm about to try out an HDMI Detective anyway as a solution to those HDCP problems, but I thought maybe a slingbox would be easier. The TV in the studio only has 2 channel audio so I don't really care if any of the advanced sound systems are supported.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanna verify the same thing, but I'm pretty sure it will work. The only tricky part would be programming the 'remote control.' I'd also like to have my WMC + XBMC on my tablets, phones, and log into friends PC's and show off my media biggrin.gif.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Liked: 11
Did anyone ever try this? I would like to use a slingbox on my HTPC with HDMI out. I am tired of running my slingbox thru my Xbox 360 as an extender.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM

I bought a 500 tonight to try this. Unfortunately it does not work. The HDMI signal is not picked up by the slingbox and is not even passed through to the tv. Oh well I guess I'll have to return the 500 and stick with the 360 / slingbox pro hd. Quite disappointing to say the least, I really wanted to be able to placeshift xbmc...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had successfully used my 1st gen Slingbox (s-video input) to sling DVD ISOs from my Xlobby HTPC (svideo output from video card) 10 years ago. Control was through Xlobby's web client, but also worked with UltraVNC. Last year I tried it again with my SlingBox Pro (svideo input) and the HDMI out from my PC via a HDMI to composite/s-video converter, but this failed. There was no video picture. I have considered trying it again with the new Slingbox 500, but I am not sure if AnyDVD running in the background would enable the HDMI to work.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM

Please let me know if anyone got this working. I'm in the same boat. I'm using a Mac Mini running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. (and cablecard tuners) I don't have any premium channels so shouldn't have a problem once I've already passed the digital cable adviser test. I'd like to know if I can slap a SlngBox 500 into the mix for full Media Center sling box experience. I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Media Center IR codes are in their data base already too. Is anyone else bold enough to just try it? The one fail above probably says it all though damn. We can always return it on Amazon if it's a 2nd fail

Can't we try a HDCP compliment HDMI splitter?

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-splitter-swither-XBOX360-Blu-ray/dp/B003UYOEMI

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 AM

This is right up my alley. I want to stream my HTPC with internal Ceton card to a tablet.

It's too bad the Surface can't act as an extender, I would have just bought a couple of those..
post #8 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildta View Post

This is right up my alley. I want to stream my HTPC with internal Ceton card to a tablet.

It's too bad the Surface can't act as an extender, I would have just bought a couple of those..

I got my HTPC working great. Here's how:

http://answers.slingbox.com/message/83740

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page