Flexraid help deciding - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 164 Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
So there is no performance increase in pooling, and could potentially be a decrease.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

So there is no performance increase in pooling, and could potentially be a decrease.

Thanks.

How are you coming to the conclusion that pooling would cause performance decrease? All pooling does is create a single virtual drive by combining together all the other drives. If anything, it should increase parallel bandwidth. If you are reading from multiple drives at the same time, you will get the full speed of all of those drives assuming your network can handle multi-gigabit speeds.
post #153 of 164 Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Quote:

Thanks.

How are you coming to the conclusion that pooling would cause performance decrease? All pooling does is create a single virtual drive by combining together all the other drives. If anything, it should increase parallel bandwidth. If you are reading from multiple drives at the same time, you will get the full speed of all of those drives assuming your network can handle multi-gigabit speeds.

Right. It improves performance if your reading from multiple drives at same time.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #154 of 164 Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, was running into a restaurant for lunch. Not sure why I mentioned performance. I'm wondering whether the pooling capabilities provide any unnecessary stress on the drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

This is essentially what I want. More stuff on less drives -> less drive spin ups
Quote:

Isn't constantly spinning up and spinning down drives bad for them in the long run?

What these guys said biggrin.gif

I've since read through the wiki, and while I'd like to learn more about how the developer maintains pooled drives I'm now pretty confident it's worth having. The Auto Merge with Minimized Folder Split Priority, as well with Mfusick's explanation above, are pretty much what I'm after.

Thanks.

post #155 of 164 Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, was running into a restaurant for lunch. Not sure why I mentioned performance. I'm wondering whether the pooling capabilities provide any unnecessary stress on the drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

This is essentially what I want. More stuff on less drives -> less drive spin ups
Quote:

Isn't constantly spinning up and spinning down drives bad for them in the long run?

What these guys said biggrin.gif

I've since read through the wiki, and while I'd like to learn more about how the developer maintains pooled drives I'm now pretty confident it's worth having. The Auto Merge with Minimized Folder Split Priority, as well with Mfusick's explanation above, are pretty much what I'm after.

Thanks.

Brahim (Developer) Had made some good points in my server thread but it's buried now I think. (If I find it I'll post it)

Somewhere in here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/800_100#post_23235822

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #156 of 164 Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I am debating whether to use minimum folder split or the balance-across-disks setup.
I tend to favor not spinning up/down disks because not only does it stress the drives, it also stresses the power supply system. This is probably less of an issue with enterprise grade components, but it is relevant when using consumer parts.

Every component failure I have had has been associated with a power-on event of some sort.

Also more even distribution of data across drives reduces data loss if a drive fails and Flexraid restore ends up not working. wink.gif
post #157 of 164 Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Brahim (Developer) Had made some good points in my server thread but it's buried now I think. (If I find it I'll post it)

Somewhere in here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/800_100#post_23235822

Oh boy, another long thread to read through. wink.gif It's all good, I like to learn as much as I can. Thank you, I'll read through this tonight.

post #158 of 164 Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If only Flexraid's registration process was as simple to use as their software! wink.gif

It took me longer/more work to get activated than it did to set up the RAID. And people wonder why piracy is rampant! Other than that, happy customer here.
post #159 of 164 Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

If only Flexraid's registration process was as simple to use as their software! wink.gif

It took me longer/more work to get activated than it did to set up the RAID. And people wonder why piracy is rampant! Other than that, happy customer here.

Yes. It's not as easy as it could be.

-

post #160 of 164 Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Also more even distribution of data across drives reduces data loss if a drive fails and Flexraid restore ends up not working. wink.gif
I don't understand much.
Let's say if many your .iso movies are splitted/ cut and stored acroos drives, then when Flexraid fails to restore one drive that died, you lose all your movies, right?
Because, let say you have 5 data drives, Flexraid cuts your iso 1 into 5 parts and keeps them on 5 different drives. It does the same with iso 2, 3, 4, ... blah .. blah.. When you bring, let say, drive 2 to another PC, it definitely fails to read data on that drive.
post #161 of 164 Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

I don't understand much.
Let's say if many your .iso movies are splitted/ cut and stored acroos drives, then when Flexraid fails to restore one drive that died, you lose all your movies, right?
Because, let say you have 5 data drives, Flexraid cuts your iso 1 into 5 parts and keeps them on 5 different drives. It does the same with iso 2, 3, 4, ... blah .. blah.. When you bring, let say, drive 2 to another PC, it definitely fails to read data on that drive.

I doubt Flexraid splits files. If it did, the whole concept of being able to pull out a drive from the array and still be able to access the files would fall apart.
post #162 of 164 Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

I doubt Flexraid splits files. If it did, the whole concept of being able to pull out a drive from the array and still be able to access the files would fall apart.
If you said so, the only thing that can make sense is Flexraid writes iso 1 on drive 1, iso 2 on drive 2, ... till iso 5 on drive 5 and then back iso 6 on drive 1, iso 7 on drive 2 and so on.
post #163 of 164 Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

If you said so, the only thing that can make sense is Flexraid writes iso 1 on drive 1, iso 2 on drive 2, ... till iso 5 on drive 5 and then back iso 6 on drive 1, iso 7 on drive 2 and so on.

FlexRAID doesn't split a single file into many parts. If there isn't enough space on a drive in the pool, it will store it in the next available drive.
post #164 of 164 Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Correct. Single files are always on a single drive. A folder's contents could span across drives but individual files would not.

There is actually two setting in Flexraid for how it spans volumes.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page