New EVGA PSU looks very interesting. Is this the BEST NEW PSU for 2013 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I wanted to share some interesting PSU reading I just did.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438004

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_NEX1500/

Just read a pretty good write up about the new 1500w PSU at TechPowerUp. The benchmarks appear very impressive. It's just killing many of the PSU's people used to think are good. I guess it shows how fast PC hardware changes. I wonder if this is a taste of things to come with other brands?

It's interesting to read the best two performing PSU's use internal parts and gadgetry that just aren't as good as they use sleeved or ribbon cables and are going downhill. Well this one has both sleeved and ribbon cables. So this appears to set them apart and ahead of the pack in performance.

The article also makes mention of a longer validation process for this EVGA; that's certainly been an Achilles heal for other PSUs in the past having rushed previous models to market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm going with best PSU of 2005. That was a good year.

s.e.x.y.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I prefer seasonic PSU's. But I also have no need for 1500W psu, nor even a 1000W.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Nah...

Shoulda got a Hercules 1600 watt.

It can throw a 15amp circuit breaker.

Perfect for a mini ITX g530 build ...wink.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Nah...
Shoulda got a Hercules 1600 watt.
It can throw a 15amp circuit breaker.
Perfect for a mini ITX g530 build ...wink.gif

God those cables are sexy. Bet it makes it work better. Probably adds at least 500 watts. More Power!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm gonna throw this in here because I'm in the middle of spec'ing out my next main machine.

Does the 80 PLUS Bronze Silver, Gold, Plat really make that much of a difference? I have my eye on a PSU that ISN'T 80 Plus but would fit my needs. However, this machine would be on 100% of the time... would it make since just to keep looking until I find one with 80 PLUS?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I prefer seasonic PSU's. But I also have no need for 1500W psu, nor even a 1000W.

Seasonic is clearly going down hill since I heard it from a guy over at anandtech. Evidently they have *gasp* changed the type of sleeving that they decided to use on their cables.

How this makes a difference I am not sure but that guy over at anandtech seemed to know what he was talking about. So they are going downhill I am sure of it.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

I'm gonna throw this in here because I'm in the middle of spec'ing out my next main machine.
Does the 80 PLUS Bronze Silver, Gold, Plat really make that much of a difference? I have my eye on a PSU that ISN'T 80 Plus but would fit my needs. However, this machine would be on 100% of the time... would it make since just to keep looking until I find one with 80 PLUS?

It depends on your power draw. If you're not going to draw between 20-100% load (preferably 50%), you won't see any benefit from 80PLUS. If you will, then yes you'll see a benefit. The benefit between each level of 80PLUS is pretty marginal. See the table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus. This rule of thumb makes it nearly impossible to find an ATX power supply that will run in the sweet spot for modern HTPCs that are just using the CPU/GPU, an SSD, ODD, 1 HDD and nothing else because they run around 40W during normal usage and idle at 20W. No one is making 90W ATX PSUs. It's one of a number of things that makes picoPSUs attractive in this segment.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

it's like 50 cents to a dollar a month savings in electricity on the bronze vs platinum and larger sized PSU. Think desktop/server/workstation.

$6-$12 year makes sense.

But usually for HTPC's it's between an 80+ or gold/bronze/silver which is probably like .25cents a month on a smaller PSU appropriate for a HTPC.

For .25cents a month I'd just get the quality PSU you like that's a good value and not worry about it.

Your return on investment for platinum probably isn't worth it. They cost too much upfront.

Just balance the efficiency with the price and make a sound choice.

No choice is really wrong. It doesn't matter that much IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

God those cables are sexy. Bet it makes it work better. Probably adds at least 500 watts. More Power!!!

I laughed.

You got me.

I found this when looking for above and laughed again...

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page