Silicondust HDHomerun + DLNA = LiveTV on almost any device? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious to see where this will go but it sure sounds promising, and seems to be a workaround the WMC eco-system (and while I would count myself as a big fan of, it's not going to be improving/growing anymore) .

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012-12-04/silicondust-certifies-hdhomerun-dlna-livetv-digital-media-server-dms

Edit:
And I'm guessing this is the related subforum for this on their site:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
With the PRIME model providing support for the connected media scheme your full cable lineup will be available from the Digital Cable Tuner, albeit DTCP-IP is required for Copy-Once content.

What does this bit about DTCP-IP mean? Is there software available to end customers that can us that method?

edit: Just saw this in the press release " Protected channels are supported on DTCP-IP capable devices such as the Sony Play Station 3.". Looks like I need to get myself one of those tuners smile.gif
post #3 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
The phase 1 release will be available to new and existing HDHomeRun® Prime customers later this month via the HDHomeRun website. After installing the upgrade owners can browse the channel list and play live TV on MPEG2-capable Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) devices. Protected channels are supported on DTCP-IP capable devices such as the Sony Play Station 3.

What exactly does this mean and what other devices will display this "protected content" other than a Play Station 3? Is this stuff with the "CopyOnce" flag? Without buying new TV's or Play Stations how else is this going to happen? Is Silicon Dust going to do an extender type device?

post #4 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

What does this bit about DTCP-IP mean? Is there software available to end customers that can us that method?

Good question, never heard of it before but apparently the PS3 is an example of a DTCP-IP compliant device.

Some various links about DTCP-IP

http://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/ShowPR.aspx?PUBCODE=055&ACCT=0000100&ISSUE=1109&RELTYPE=PR&PRODCODE=000000&PRODLETT=WM&CommonCount=0

http://www.iwedia.com/en/software-components/dlna-and-dtcp-ip-protocol-stacks

But sounds like a variety of devices with the right app could be compatible, including tablets/phones, digital media players, etc. Seems like it could open up a world of possibilities.
post #5 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever device it is it has to stream HBR mkv's and handle TV content with the CopyOnce flag.

ceton has half that done now and I suspect that soon they will get the other half done.

post #6 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM

according to the press release the PS3 will work. " Protected channels are supported on DTCP-IP capable devices such as the Sony Play Station 3."

edit: just googled it for the PS3, and it does have it http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/dtpc.html
post #7 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Giggity
post #8 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

What exactly does this mean and what other devices will display this "protected content" other than a Play Station 3? Is this stuff with the "CopyOnce" flag? Without buying new TV's or Play Stations how else is this going to happen? Is Silicon Dust going to do an extender type device?

That's the $1,000,000 question! I think Nick's quote in the original link hints at an application level solution
Quote:
“We are heading into an exciting TV technology year which will see TV access on a wide range of screens and form-factors” said Nick Kelsey, CTO of Silicondust USA Inc. “We are expanding our product line and will be announcing a number of live TV apps at CES”.
post #9 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What do they mean by "Protected Channels" though? Playback of "Protected Channels" marked CopyFreely is available now outside the box it was recorded or tuned on.

post #10 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Whatever device it is it has to stream HBR mkv's and handle TV content with the CopyOnce flag.
ceton has half that done now and I suspect that soon they will get the other half done.

Pure speculation on my part, but if they somehow created a plugin for an existing solution (*cough* XBMC), that would meet those needs. Obviously that would need to be a controlled app in some fashion I would think.
post #11 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

That's the $1,000,000 question! I think Nick's quote in the original link hints at an application level solution

I'm not in the market for another TV just yet... Plus it needs to handle mkv's as well.

post #12 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Nice, I read that but it didn't sink in. Hopefully they make one for Samsung TV's smile.gif
post #13 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Pure speculation on my part, but if they somehow created a plugin for an existing solution (*cough* XBMC), that would meet those needs. Obviously that would need to be a controlled app in some fashion I would think.

That would be awesome. I just recently tried XBMC and love it. Would love to get rid of windows and just have a box that boots into XBMC that can play any media file I throw at it, and do live tv smile.gif
post #14 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That would be awesome. I just recently tried XBMC and love it. Would love to get rid of windows and just have a box that boots into XBMC that can play any media file I throw at it, and do live tv smile.gif

But that requries building another HTPC. I want an out of the box solution. Maybe a multi-pronged approach with apps for TV's, devices like PlayStation and other apps for media players.

post #15 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But that requries building another HTPC. I want an out of the box solution. Maybe a multi-pronged approach with apps for TV's, devices like PlayStation and other apps for media players.

TV SoCs don't have a lot of oomph for DLNA stuff. They can handle a plex stream just fine, but only after it's transcoded to lower bitrates

They handle netflix in the same way, and choke pretty bad above 720p. This is based off of my experiences with my friends samsung u8000 and my own Sony XBR 8

Wifi and hardwired

Plugged in flash drives to boost buffer space as well

This is why I went with HTPCs in the first place
Quote:

You live in Long Island? You could already come pretty close. You still need a server for the live tv buffer and recording storage, but you can use Myth (nix), NPVR (windows), or Mediaportal (windows) Probably a few others too by now

Works great with Comcast (outside of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime). Check my signature
post #16 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Looks like they will be making apps for smart tv's biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge 
Hopefully you guys make an app for samsung TV's too smile.gif
No comment biggrin.gif

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80291#80291
post #17 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

TV SoCs don't have a lot of oomph for DLNA stuff. They can handle a plex stream just fine, but only after it's transcoded to lower bitrates
They handle netflix in the same way, and choke pretty bad above 720p. This is based off of my experiences with my friends samsung u8000 and my own Sony XBR 8
Wifi and hardwired
Plugged in flash drives to boost buffer space as well

My Samsung UN55D8000 has no problem's playing 1080P MKV's, netflix, or plex.

Quote:

You live in Long Island? You could already come pretty close. You still need a server for the live tv buffer and recording storage, but you can use Myth (nix), NPVR (windows), or Mediaportal (windows) Probably a few others too by now
Works great with Comcast (outside of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime). Check my signature

Yeah, but I have cablevision. Not many copy freely channels. All the premium channels are copy-once.
post #18 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

What exactly does this mean and what other devices will display this "protected content" other than a Play Station 3? Is this stuff with the "CopyOnce" flag? Without buying new TV's or Play Stations how else is this going to happen?
Confirming, the HDHomeRun Prime will stream copy-freely channels to any DMP that can handle live MPEG2 video.
Channels that are flagged as copy-once will need a DMP with DTCP-IP support.

Nick - Silicondust.
post #19 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

My Samsung UN55D8000 has no problem's playing 1080P MKV's

Where are you getting your mkv files? The max bitrate in the mkv container on 2011 Samsung TVs is 25mbps according the specs but when I sold them I found the real world actual to be slightly lower.

Some blurays will fall in that range but many will not.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #20 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Where are you getting your mkv files? The max bitrate in the mkv container on 2011 Samsung TVs is 25mbps according the specs but when I sold them I found the real world actual to be slightly lower.
Some blurays will fall in that range but many will not.

I ripped them myself. I guess I'll have to double-check it (and the bit-rate), since I haven't really used the built in DLNA client much. I usually use my HTPC, but am like 99% sure I played a full 1080P MKV with the TV's built in client.
post #21 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

My Blu-ray rips go up to 30Mbps or maybe a little more. It depends on the title, really, but most of them are in the 20 to 30 range.

post #22 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa View Post

Confirming, the HDHomeRun Prime will stream copy-freely channels to any DMP that can handle live MPEG2 video.
Channels that are flagged as copy-once will need a DMP with DTCP-IP support.
Nick - Silicondust.

So this is Copy Protected content outside the WMC walled garden then? I need a few of these devices but don't want to spend a fortune, plus the only TV in the near future is in my Family Room Home Theater which will have my HTPC anyhow so I don't need a feature/app rich TV. I need a monitor with an power supply and an HDMI input. It would be nice if this were coming to some sort of streamer device.

post #23 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
My take is outside of background noise live TV has little value... now talk about DVR features and you have something.
post #24 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Samsung UN55D8000 has no problem's playing 1080P MKV's, netflix, or plex.

Using an HTPC negates the point I was making. I had tried this with nothing other than a network cable (tried wirelessly to just for kicks)

Playback would pause frequently or completely crash back to the menu. Did you test it more than once? I really wanted this to work, but little to no support was available. I chalked it up to weak processing and low ram, 3 HTPCs later I'm addicted. Now I just wish TV manufacturers would stick to hardware with lower prices and leave the software up to the people who are good at it
post #25 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My take is outside of background noise live TV has little value... now talk about DVR features and you have something.

Sorry, I use them interchagably. For Live TV, I usually pause a show or start a recording and then come in about 15 to 30 minutes afterwards to start watching it to ff through commercials.

post #26 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using an HTPC negates the point I was making. I had tried this with nothing other than a network cable (tried wirelessly to just for kicks)
Playback would pause frequently or completely crash back to the menu. Did you test it more than once? I really wanted this to work, but little to no support was available. I chalked it up to weak processing and low ram, 3 HTPCs later I'm addicted. Now I just wish TV manufacturers would stick to hardware with lower prices and leave the software up to the people who are good at it

Yeah. An 80" LED with a power supply and one HDMI input is all I need.

post #27 of 181 Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
PowerDVD supposedly supports DTCP-IP
post #28 of 181 Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

PowerDVD supposedly supports DTCP-IP

Yep, although I'm pretty sure they've only tested it w/ non-US TV streams (the feature was intended for Japan IIRC). It will be very interesting to see how this develops.
post #29 of 181 Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I wondered why they didn't push it more since both Dish and DirecTV support DTCP-IP
post #30 of 181 Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Would love to do that as well, but I'm a bit confused how this would work really. The HDHR-Prime just serves the liveTV feed. Is it saying that Device A records a copy-once program and through the HDHR-Prime, Device-B can view it? Because really, that's the only pitfall I have right now, not being able to watch copy-once on more than one device.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page