Thoughts on Expanding Storage and Adding Storage Redundancy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all.

Real quick question. If I want to create storage redundancy and drive pooling within my current Windows 7 HTPC, what's the best solution? Been researching FlexRaid, UnRaid, FreeNAS, WHS, etc, and feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm assuming WHS is out of the question because I'm not building a separate, dedicated server. Is that correct? Is that the same for FreeNAS?

Background...currently have a 4TB system with no backup solution. I'm at 100% capacity and need to expand. On Black Friday, I purchased four 3TB Seagate HDDs and a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD. Plan is to use three of the HDDs for storage, one for parity backup and the SSD for OS+Programs.

I don't have the ability to build a dedicated server, so I would like to expand my main HTPC, create a backup solution and allow the HTPC to share media to other computers via wireless connections. Fully understand this will have limitations, but it's my only option at the moment.

When it comes to servers, Raid, Linux, and the like, I'm completely lost. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You can use Flexraid on your existing Windows 7 machine. I use it myself and highly recommend it. Windows 7 can also work just fine as a basic server.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page