AVS Forum banner

Recommendation on an HDTV tuner for Win 8 x64?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  captain_video 
#1 ·
Preferably in PCI card form so I can put it inside my PC, but USB should be OK as I used to own Autumnwave OnAir GT. Now the company went bankrupt, and I think their SW may not be compatible with Win 8 x64.

Any recommendation?

Thank you.

#2 ·
I use an AVerMedia Duet (white box version) for OTA and it works great with Win7 WMC. Supposedly also works with clear QAM. The company's website states it's discontinued but they told me they are temporarily out of stock. So who knows. Anyway I picked up a second one for $50 from ebay.

#5 ·
Are you looking for an ATSC tuner for OTA reception or a cablecard tuner for digital cable? The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 is a single ATSC tuner for a PCI slot. Aside from the SiliconDust HDHomeRun that was mentioned, there are lots of USB tuners for both ATSC and digital cable. Here's my favorite source for tuner information:

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/index.html

FYI, SiliconDust makes two versions of the HDHomeRun. The Dual is a 2-tuner ATSC networked tuner and the Prime is a 3-tuner networked cablecard tuner.

#6 ·
for OTA as I never watch TV that often, so OTA is the best for me as I watch when I watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1443485/recommendation-on-an-hdtv-tuner-for-win-8-x64#post_22668812

Are you looking for an ATSC tuner for OTA reception or a cablecard tuner for digital cable? The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 is a single ATSC tuner for a PCI slot. Aside from the SiliconDust HDHomeRun that was mentioned, there are lots of USB tuners for both ATSC and digital cable. Here's my favorite source for tuner information:
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/index.html

FYI, SiliconDust makes two versions of the HDHomeRun. The Dual is a 2-tuner ATSC networked tuner and the Prime is a 3-tuner networked cablecard tuner.

#7 ·
The SiliconDust HDHomeRun will probably be your best bet, assuming you have a home network set up. They just came out with drivers for Windows 8 so it should work fine with your system. I don;t know of any PCI cards that work with Windows 8, although there may be a few off-brand models out there. I see an MSI PCI ATSC tuner on sale at Newegg quite often, but the reviews aren't anything spectacular. As long as you can get a strong signal via an antenna I would think most internal tuners will do the job. Otherwise, get yourself a USB tuner. The website I linked you to has links for sources in each of the individual tuner reviews. I believe the AverTV Volar Max USB tuner is available new for about $50.

#8 ·
The Hauppauge 1600 you mentioned states it is Windows 8/7/Vista/XP compatible though I won't get to try it on Windows 8 until around Christmas. I did notice a "new" 2.6c driver released 11/1. I've had my 1600s since before they were qam capable ... its only been the last few months where the analog (cable) tuners have gone out (yes I still get analog cable just not on those tuners) and have resorted to using a vcr to tune those analog channels.

#9 ·
If you're dead set on using Win 8 you're not going to find too many PCI tuners with compatible drivers. I've seen a few PCI boards still in production, but they're mostly off-brand boards that tend to get spotty recommendations at best. If you can use Windows 7 then you have a lot more choices. The VBox DAT150 is an excellent PCI ATSC tuner that is no longer in production. However, you can get Win 7 drivers for both x86 and x64 systems by contacting their customer support. These tuners show up on ebay every so often and you can probably get one for less than $25.

#10 ·
Newegg has MSI tuner that is in PCI format, but it is a single TV tuner.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson  /t/1443485/recommendation-on-an-hdtv-tuner-for-win-8-x64#post_22694534

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=hqiHdESJEeKztqqYBQC5_geqP6_gIAK3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16815127008

is this the one? is this any good?
Yes, that's the one he's referring to. Reviews are pretty sketchy on that tuner, but I see it go on sale quite often.

FYI, all PCI tuner cards will only have one integrated tuner. You'd need to go with a PCI-e card for dual tuners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.