OK, looks like I have it working. Here is what I did (as a note to myself, as well):
1) For each of the following items in the registry, I changed to the location on the server using UNC format - "\\Server\tv\Recorded TV\"
- "Server" is the name of my OpenIndiana-based that is a VM on the same ESXi machine, "tv" is the name of the CIF shared file system, and I created a folder named "Recorded TV"
- A UNC path is used instead of mapping the location to a drive letter because AFAIK
using a drive letter requires additional steps
2) In the services control panel (e.g., type "services.msc" at a command prompt), find the service named "Windows Media Center Receiver Service", right-click, select "Properties," select "Log On" tab, and change account and password to a local user on the VM-client that has access to the VM-server.
- Depending on the permissions of the network share, others may not need to do this, but for me the recording service by default runs as a system account that does not have access to my network share.