Windows Media Center Restore and Protected Content - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have just rebuilt my media center server (Win7Pro64bit) now that I know how I want it setup. So thought I'd be smart and create an image of the entire C drive so that if something ever happened to the server I could just pop the image back on. This way all my old encrypted recordings would still be viewable! So I take my image and then format the C drive and pop the image back on and low and behold I get copyright crapola on my 20 minute test clip that I recorded of HBO. So the question how can I protect my server and still view my encrypted recordings in the event my server crashes? Thanks for your help.

-RobNY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Really no one has come up with a solution?

-RobNY
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
No one has come up with one because there is no solution. It's one of the biggest issues to using WMC for protected content. Seems hard to believe but if you make changes to the OS you will lost your ability to watch the protected content.

I'm planning on a new build and have been buying parts, and prior to the rebuild, I'm trying to get through all my protected content. Sucks but that's the way it is.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Crap was hoping maybe a virtual machine or something I was missing. Thanks for the response.

-RobNY
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think a full image should work if it's same hardware, but only for a limited time. the encryption keys are regenerated every so often I believe.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

I think a full image should work if it's same hardware, but only for a limited time. the encryption keys are regenerated every so often I believe.

Nope I had just did a fresh install got everything setup working perfectly so I did a test recording and then imaged it. Formatted the C drive in less then 20 minutes from when the image was created and no dice on my test HBO recording that I verified was working before the format. Think the only way they could generate a key that would work like that is to use time and the date dynamically (not counting the other hardware cues it takes) would be my guess.

-RobNY
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 13
Here is what I do. I don't know if you use Media Center Extenders or not. I have 2 of the old Linksys extenders. They have analog component and composite video out. I connect the extender to a computer capture card on another computer and then play and cap the video off of the extender. The file is then saved as DRM free. You can likely use HD-PVR (hauppage) to do the same as a cap device. It takes a while, just because you have to go through each file in real time. But you can set up a few to capture overnight while you sleep and then they'll be available later as files that you can do what you want with them. It's not elegant but it works.

EZed
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page