What is the best picture and sound quality playback player for a HTPC ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
That's most users ...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
So consensus seems they are all about equal.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 48 Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looks like it mate lol.
post #34 of 48 Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use WMC (because of TV/DVR) with TMT5 (for occasional BR disk playback) and MediaBrowser for movie organization/viewing. I use no additional codex/filters/splitters.

To me, the increases in picture quality gained by tweaking with additional software is not worth the effort. That may change as my knowledge increases regarding all things HTPC or until I invest in a more serious home theater environment with higher-end equipment.
post #35 of 48 Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If you are using WMC for your TV recording and TMT for your BD playback, there is no real reason to install additional decoders. The only reason to install additional decoders/splitters would be if you want to play file/media types that WMC does not support natively.
post #36 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

So consensus seems they are all about equal.

Confirmation bias has a bit to do with it. ;-)

Having tried all of the above, and my wife using the HTPC most often... It's JRiver for me, hands down.

Pros -

Simple initial setup
Handles ALL your content, including BR
Among the best in video quality (better than XBMC)
THE best in audio quality... I'm running an audio card and amps... This is very important to me
Excellent remote app via my iPad
Dedicated support
Beautiful 10" interface via Theater View
Extremely flexible and powerful

Cons -

Not free
Configuration Options can be overwhelming
post #37 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of those are related to personal preference (and valid in that context) but not to the original question of video/audio quality. Ony these two address the OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

Among the best in video quality (better than XBMC)
THE best in audio quality... I'm running an audio card and amps... This is very important to me
But as I stated, ALL DirectShow players (with the exception of Splash Player) can be configured to give you the exact same video and audio quality because it comes down to the configured decoders/renderers, not the main application itself.
post #38 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

How does JRiver get away with charging money while using open source product?
madVR has a generous license:
"The software "madVR" may be freely used as an end user application by both non-commercial and commercial end users, without buying a license, without even notifying the author about the use."
post #39 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR View Post

madVR has a generous license:
"The software "madVR" may be freely used as an end user application by both non-commercial and commercial end users, without buying a license, without even notifying the author about the use."
That is how it may be used by "end users" (bolded for emphasis). Distribution is different:
Quote:
3RD PARTY SOFTWARE RESTRICTIONS
The software "madVR" may not be distributed together with any 3rd party
software without the written consent of the "madVR" author. However, the
"madVR" author hereby grants the right to distribute "madVR" with any such
3rd party software which is released as freeware and which is not available
in any commercial form.

That aside, I have absolutely no doubt that JRiver has written approval for Red October.
post #40 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Most of those are related to personal preference (and valid in that context) but not to the original question of video/audio quality. Ony these two address the OP
But as I stated, ALL DirectShow players (with the exception of Splash Player) can be configured to give you the exact same video and audio quality because it comes down to the configured decoders/renderers, not the main application itself.

In regards to picture quality, yes, JRiver is among the best. I did not say the were THE best. Rather, one of the solutions that produces great video. Certainly, you can find equally stunning video on other players. Or if you're savvy, configure your player to use the good stuff.

JRiver's audio engine is unique to JRiver, and is the best available on the market. You cannot get the same product anywhere else. It's WAY ahead of the next closest rivals. The caveat being, you need the sophisticated audio. If you're just bistreaming to a AV receiver, you may not need JRiver's audio engine. Athough in MY setup, it's absolutely crucial.
post #41 of 48 Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Don't forget for most people a picture is enough. It looks good, its fine. All of this fancy upscaling isn't required, or worth it in my opinion.
post #42 of 48 Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JRiver's audio engine is unique to JRiver, and is the best available on the market. You cannot get the same product anywhere else. It's WAY ahead of the next closest rivals. The caveat being, you need the sophisticated audio. If you're just bistreaming to a AV receiver, you may not need JRiver's audio engine. Athough in MY setup, it's absolutely crucial.
I did forget about their audio engine (since I bitstream almost everything). Yes, I would have to give the edge to JRiver for audio if you are not bitstreaming.
post #43 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a player (not media center) with best pic/audio quality - I'm not bitstreaming - I need a player to decode audio and send pcm to my soundcard, which is running direct to my amps. I'm not computer savvy and having touble configuring mpc hc with the lav decoders and dts decoders from tmt. would jriver decode all lossless formats for bluray and be the way to go without adding software liek madvr, lav and tmt?
post #44 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

I am looking for a player (not media center) with best pic/audio quality - I'm not bitstreaming - I need a player to decode audio and send pcm to my soundcard, which is running direct to my amps. I'm not computer savvy and having touble configuring mpc hc with the lav decoders and dts decoders from tmt. would jriver decode all lossless formats for bluray and be the way to go without adding software liek madvr, lav and tmt?

Yes, although you need the dtsdecoderdll.dll file to decode DTS-HD, which is described here. JRiver will also not play encrypted blu-rays out of the box. They will need to be decrypted by AnyDVD HD or some other program.
post #45 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes!

JRiver also has; level adjustment, speaker distance correction, bass management built in.

They have a 30 day free trial.
post #46 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Yes, although you need the dtsdecoderdll.dll file to decode DTS-HD, which is described here. JRiver will also not play encrypted blu-rays out of the box. They will need to be decrypted by AnyDVD HD or some other program.
would purchasing tmt5 be an easier option, and I would avoid having to purchase anydvdhd and installing the dts file?
post #47 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

would purchasing tmt5 be an easier option, and I would avoid having to purchase anydvdhd and installing the dts file?

Installing the dts file is trivial. You can even obtain a copy by downloading the TMT5 trial, although I'm not sure if that's completely kosher. If you just want to play blu-ray discs with menus and not have to worry about decrypting, TMT5 works just fine. If you want the absolute best video and audio quality possible, with more adjustments and configuration settings than you can shake a stick at, go with JRiver. Keep in mind JRiver will not play the Blu-ray menus. It just skips straight to the main movie.
post #48 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... would jriver decode all lossless formats for bluray and be the way to go without adding software liek madvr, lav and tmt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Yes, although you need the dtsdecoderdll.dll file to decode DTS-HD...

Quote:

Yes!...

No, it won't. It still needs LAV to decode the lossless audio. LAV needs the dtsdecoder.dll. JRiver just makes installation of LAV easy with their Red October package. Red October does not install dtsdecoder.dll however (you have to do it manually) but LAV will decode the DTS Core without it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page