HTPC/Server Case Options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a lian li PC-A01B case right now which was modded to fit 3 hdd. it looked great in the entertainment center laid down flat. now, it stands on end beside the new entertainment center.

I now want to migrate the system to a bigger case so that i can add at least another 4 or 5 hdd..

Being right next to the entertainment center, noise is a factor. I am leaning towards the Corsair 550D and the Fractal Designs R4.

Both are taller than i would have liked, but dont see too many other options. Wider is no problem and could be even up to 200mm wide or more. It would match the bass box sitting on the other side.

I also cant get over the weight, another thing i will have to look past. 9lbs on the lian li, vs 17 on the corsair and 27lbs on the r4.

Any recommendations between the 2, or another case i have not considered?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

While at it, what's a good and quiet cooling solution for the q6600 CPU? Was thinking corsair h50 but not sure if best or quiet.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
8 hard drives total?

You need to build a server or NAS in addition to your HTPC, imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Will NAS allow utilisation of flex raid?

Right now space allows for 1 machine. Dedicated server may be an option another year down the road.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Um, to clarify, I was thinking 4 disc enclosure with gig network when thinking NAS, not standalone machine.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you considered something like the Sans Digital 8-Bay eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure for all those drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111168

Couple that with a small Shuttle and you'd be in business with no more space than a large tower case.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

Have you considered something like the Sans Digital 8-Bay eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure for all those drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111168
Couple that with a small Shuttle and you'd be in business with no more space than a large tower case.

not a bad option. something to think about. from reviews, the included card seems iffy, as is heat.

for me the main thing was noise and reliability. this does seem to do flexraid according to one of the reviews though, which is another must.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page