Best Gaming MB/GPU combo to fit in SS GD01B - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
msimon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Building my first Gaming HTPC, have SilverStone GD01B-MXR-USB3.0 arriving this week.
I'm not a PC gamer, but want to build this for me and the kids and not have to worry about the setup not being strong enough to play anything smile.gif

Looking for help for the best available motherboard and graphics card that will fit in this case.
Really could use some advice, suggestions. I prefer nVidia cards, just because I've had success with them, but open to anything.

Don't have a 3D TV setup yet, but may in the future, right now this will be going out to a Mits WD-73727 via HMDI.
Looking for a motherboard that has S/PDIF optical out, as I'll be running sound directly to my receiver. Trying to avoid buying a separate soundcard.

Would prefer to go with the biggest/best single GPU to start, but looking to have support (and space) if I need to go to dual GPU in the future.

I may eventually put a tuner card in there, but no plans as of now.

Like I said, I'm not a PC gamer, so I'm pretty confused as to what to get.
thanks for any help.
msimon7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tiddles88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Don't need a GPU, HD 4000 inbuilt graphics do the same thing - 3D, solid playback etc. Get an Asrock B75 PRO 3 + i3 3225. Board is great (have one in my gaming PC), its full ATX (which fits in that case) and has a good assortment of slots and ports. And SPDIF out.

You can't really go dual GPU in the future or get a beefy GPU as that case has a width restriction (less than 6in), and that board doesn't support dual GPU's. And as you are not a gamer in your post, no need.
Tiddles88 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tong Chia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon7 View Post

Hello,
Building my first Gaming HTPC, have SilverStone GD01B-MXR-USB3.0 arriving this week.
I'm not a PC gamer, but want to build this for me and the kids and not have to worry about the setup not being strong enough to play anything smile.gif
Looking for help for the best available motherboard and graphics card that will fit in this case.
Really could use some advice, suggestions. I prefer nVidia cards, just because I've had success with them, but open to anything.
Don't have a 3D TV setup yet, but may in the future, right now this will be going out to a Mits WD-73727 via HMDI.
Looking for a motherboard that has S/PDIF optical out, as I'll be running sound directly to my receiver. Trying to avoid buying a separate soundcard.
Would prefer to go with the biggest/best single GPU to start, but looking to have support (and space) if I need to go to dual GPU in the future.
I may eventually put a tuner card in there, but no plans as of now.
Like I said, I'm not a PC gamer, so I'm pretty confused as to what to get.
thanks for any help.

Suggest you measure out the case when you get it. The distance between the rear and the edge of the drive cage is the most important.

My EVGA GTX680 is 10in long. The GTX560/460 is about 1in shorter. Another option is a pair of GTX650s and it can be run in SLI for gaming.
Those are about 6in long.

The drive cage is very short, a 3.5in disk will stick out, so it will limit the choices of the long cards or you could consider the use of 2.5in drives or SSDs

The motherboard choice should be determined by the positioning of the PCIe x16 slots as the case will be quite cramped when you put 2 video cards in it.
Slot placement on the motherboard should allow for enough separation of the fan intakes on the GPUs to prevent overheating.
Tong Chia is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
dksc318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have a gamer in the house and one gaming machine. This is an 1st gen i7 with a single GT560Ti. It is adequate for most games. I have an intel Extreme series DZ68BC MB with SLI and overclock capability but we ultimately decided not to pursue a SLI setup.

This i7 is a standard HP box but at the time of adding the GT560Ti, we also upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic SS-330GB. I can't remember whether this model has a 6 pin PCIe 12V connector or we used an adapter cord.

Since the GT560Ti generates the most heat, some care must be taken to manage airflow inside the case. The PSU was mounted with fan facing away from the GT560Ti. A cardboard air dam was placed to help separate hot air and cold air at the CPU HSF.
dksc318 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
msimon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Suggest you measure out the case when you get it. The distance between the rear and the edge of the drive cage is the most important.
My EVGA GTX680 is 10in long. The GTX560/460 is about 1in shorter. Another option is a pair of GTX650s and it can be run in SLI for gaming.
Those are about 6in long.
The drive cage is very short, a 3.5in disk will stick out, so it will limit the choices of the long cards or you could consider the use of 2.5in drives or SSDs
The motherboard choice should be determined by the positioning of the PCIe x16 slots as the case will be quite cramped when you put 2 video cards in it.
Slot placement on the motherboard should allow for enough separation of the fan intakes on the GPUs to prevent overheating.

Thank you for your suggestion. The case will be here tomorrow and I will definitely be measuring space to see what I can fit.
I'm trying to go with a single GPU. Initially at least. I'm looking at a Ti version of a card as they are much shorter, like EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB
I'm going to post up a "sample" build to get some feedback from those much more experience than I with this stuff. thanks again
msimon7 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
msimon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

We have a gamer in the house and one gaming machine. This is an 1st gen i7 with a single GT560Ti. It is adequate for most games. I have an intel Extreme series DZ68BC MB with SLI and overclock capability but we ultimately decided not to pursue a SLI setup.
This i7 is a standard HP box but at the time of adding the GT560Ti, we also upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic SS-330GB. I can't remember whether this model has a 6 pin PCIe 12V connector or we used an adapter cord.
Since the GT560Ti generates the most heat, some care must be taken to manage airflow inside the case. The PSU was mounted with fan facing away from the GT560Ti. A cardboard air dam was placed to help separate hot air and cold air at the CPU HSF.

Thank you for the reply, also thanks for the tip on the Ti version of the card. I'm looking at EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB now. I'm going to put up a sample build I've started configuring, pcpartpicker.com is a great site for this ! Hopefully I can get some further feedback from that. A much better approach than "whats a good part" smile.gif
msimon7 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off