post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anandtech review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac-geforce-gt-640-review-

but this looks like a fantastic card. Its a shame they didn't compare the GTX 650 (GDDR5 bandwith in particular) but if HD 4000 doesn't do it for you, this will.

The only (slight) issue is with colour spaces, RGB range and all that. Drivers should fix that though. For those interested in pushing MadVR right up, this will do it.

Looking forward to my next build when Haswell is released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

This is a relatively old article; but, arguably still holds true.  The GT640 is ideal for 2D/3D BD playback and digital TV recordings on 1080p displays.  It's especially useful for smaller, space-saving HTPCs; especially, the low profile variety.  Although, if you're into 3D gaming, the 645GT/650GT would be a much better choice.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Liked: 12
To take advantage of the latest versions of madVR you will need at least a GTX650Ti and some are suggesting a GTX660!
post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've seen lots of recommendations and suggestions of what display card (and respective performance) is needed for madVR.  However, last I checked, I haven't seen any real-world case where someone's GT640 was too slow to handle typical MadVR GPU based scaling tasks; especially on a PC with a fast CPU.  I'm curious if anyone here has actually seen any case like this reported before.

There's no doubt that MadVR does use up a good amount of memory bandwidth; but, doesnt need anywhere near the maximum memory bandwidth of a GT640 (28.5GB/sec) for typical madVR settings.  If anything, a very fast CPU would be much more beneficial than getting a higher model display adapter. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

To take advantage of the latest versions of madVR you will need at least a GTX650Ti and some are suggesting a GTX660!

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Depends what you want to do. You can run madvR on an i3 with integrated GPU with some settings - varies depending on what material you are processing. But if you want to use Jinc and remain future proof you need muscle. Post on Doom9 MadvR thread for a more forthright reply.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I visit that Doom9 forum thread quite often.  I've only seen suggestions/recommendation.  As I said, I certainly haven't seen any real-world usage that exceeds 28.5GB/sec; presuming an adequate CPU.  I guess there could be some very unlikely scenarios

Quote:

Depends what you want to do. You can run madvR on an i3 with integrated GPU with some settings - varies depending on what material you are processing. But if you want to use Jinc and remain future proof you need muscle. Post on Doom9 MadvR thread for a more forthright reply.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Yes, I visit that Doom9 forum thread quite often.  I've only seen suggestions/recommendation.  As I said, I certainly haven't seen any real-world usage that exceeds 28.5GB/sec; presuming an adequate CPU.  I guess there could be some very unlikely scenarios

You can check mem controller utilization in real time using GPU-Z, I have never seen it hit 100% on MadVR even on a GT430 with 1/2 of the mem bandwidth.
I use CUVID not the DXVA copyback for the video decoding

I have a i3 530 I use with the 430, it still works quite well if the new features (AR, Jinc) are not enabled, with 0 dropped frames and reasonable render (<16.7ms) times.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Only if you want to use Jinc + anti ring filters on both chroma and luma channels.

There are more improvements in the 0.8x versions of MadVR besides the above namely better precision in the YUV->RGB conversion.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
HTPC GPU's are so 2010.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

HTPC GPU's are so 2010.

HD 4000 will die with MadVR pushed to the limit. APU's won't fare much better.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 AM

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page