Ceton Infinitv and ESXi? I'm stumped. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I know this may not be the popular choice, but XEN does PCI passthrough pretty well... though it's a lot more complicated than ESXi to setup. ESXi's passthrough is pretty hit or miss depending on the CPU/mobo, and the PCI device to passthrough. Obviously, VMWare only supports certain NICs and HBAs officially, though many people have gotten VGA cards and other devices to go through. VT-d, IOMMU, or AMD-Vi is pretty new technology, and the hypervisors are really in their infancy in supporting this technology.

KVM also has support for PCI passthrough. I would check out Proxmox for a simple disto that has KVM baked in and a very nice GUI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 Cetons that I passthrough on one of vm hosts in my home cluster. I had to use ESXi 5.0u1 because 5.1 gave me the dreaded PSOD like you have experienced. I have used them successfully for about 3 months now without any problems. I have used them both in a Windows VM and a Linux VM. I have attached a screenshot of my VM hosts summary screen if that helps at all. If you have any questions just let me know.

post #33 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I know this may not be the popular choice, but XEN does PCI passthrough pretty well... though it's a lot more complicated than ESXi to setup. ESXi's passthrough is pretty hit or miss depending on the CPU/mobo, and the PCI device to passthrough. Obviously, VMWare only supports certain NICs and HBAs officially, though many people have gotten VGA cards and other devices to go through. VT-d, IOMMU, or AMD-Vi is pretty new technology, and the hypervisors are really in their infancy in supporting this technology.

KVM also has support for PCI passthrough. I would check out Proxmox for a simple disto that has KVM baked in and a very nice GUI.

I really wish there was more documentation out there for Proxmox. I haven't come across anyone who use pci pass through and talk about it with Proxmox.
post #34 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Well, the new motherboard is a Tyan S7012 dual 1366 board, with four (smile) Intel gigabit LANs built in. And it has six x8 slots. I plan to use the board with L5520 Xeons and as much RAM as I have lying around (which should be a lot). I suspect that board "should" play nice with ESXi and any passthroughs, which my DX58SO couldn't handle.
post #35 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I really wish there was more documentation out there for Proxmox. I haven't come across anyone who use pci pass through and talk about it with Proxmox.

Agreed, but there is some decent documentation out there for KVM which is one half of the Proxmox architecture. Passthrough isn't a GUI option as I recall, you have to get your hands a little dirty with the qemu/KVM commands.
post #36 of 51 Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Well, the new motherboard is a Tyan S7012 dual 1366 board, with four (smile) Intel gigabit LANs built in. And it has six x8 slots. I plan to use the board with L5520 Xeons and as much RAM as I have lying around (which should be a lot). I suspect that board "should" play nice with ESXi and any passthroughs, which my DX58SO couldn't handle.

Any luck passing the Ceton?
post #37 of 51 Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I see the OP mentioned that he has hwimage version 4884 - that is very old, and we have included many compatibility improvements in newer hwimages, so I would recommend that you try upgrading. Also this would obviously be considered an unsupported configuration, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #38 of 51 Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTarasovic View Post

Any luck passing the Ceton?
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I see the OP mentioned that he has hwimage version 4884 - that is very old, and we have included many compatibility improvements in newer hwimages, so I would recommend that you try upgrading. Also this would obviously be considered an unsupported configuration, but that doesn't mean it won't work.
Eric - as I mentioned in my support ticket, I updated the card to the latest firmware, and finally had to throw it in the trash bin. Not because I couldn't pass through it in ESXI (I couldn't, and I suspect the early cards have issues with pass-through because of the on-board PCI bridge, which seems to be flaky with ESXi), but because the card kept locking up and freezing the server (not ESXi, Server 2008 R2).

As you replied to me, the card was certainly out of warranty, and I just couldn't muster up time to debug it any further or follow up with your support guys. No fault of your support guys though, they were quite responsive, however, they were "going by the book", and I tried to explain to them, that I do hardware/software as a business. "By the book" troubleshooting is meaningless to me, I already know the card is faulty.smile.gif

Again, nothing against your support folks.
post #39 of 51 Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM

The Intel X58S02 is an abomination. The board refuses to work with most modern RAID cards so I decided to repurpose the board for HTPC use.

I have a Ceton card already set up and paired on an older AMD system.

Just as with the RAID cards, the Ceton card would just not work on that X58S02. Put it in a Gigibyte UD3R and away it went.

Will not purchase another Intel board and the X58S02 is headed for the trash.

You just threw away a perfectly good Ceton card.
post #40 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM

I was hoping that you could update on your status.  Are you still on this setup?  Is it still working if you are?   I am working with ESXi 5.5 for the first pass.  I have a Ceton card that I am attempting to pass through.  I have it set up, and it passes through.  When I first attach it and setit up it the VM (Win 7 or WIn 8.1), the OS sees it, but upon reboot it reports the tuner is not present from the diagnostics application that originally reported it.  I have tried different driver versions of the Ceton software and the result is the same.  I moved the card to a different port and it will see it until reboot.  I have added additional cooling to ensure it is not heat related.  I am looking at what you posted.  You used 5.0u1 and got it to work.  I have a GA-990FXA-UD5 board.  Based on your screen shot and a very similar mobo, I am hopeful that I will get past this as you did.  What firmware version is loaded on the Ceton cards you are using?  What about the mobo?  What bios version or date are you flashed to?  I am going to check that I have the latest of both and try using 5.0u1 of ESXi next.   I would appreciate any feedback you are willing to offer.  Thank you.

post #41 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had the exact same issue in ESXi where the Ceton card would be recognized until a reboot. I don't think there is a solution since the Ceton card really isn't designed to be passed through.
post #42 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

I had the exact same issue in ESXi where the Ceton card would be recognized until a reboot. I don't think there is a solution since the Ceton card really isn't designed to be passed through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskube84 View Post

I have 2 Cetons that I passthrough on one of vm hosts in my home cluster. I had to use ESXi 5.0u1 because 5.1 gave me the dreaded PSOD like you have experienced. I have used them successfully for about 3 months now without any problems. I have used them both in a Windows VM and a Linux VM. I have attached a screenshot of my VM hosts summary screen if that helps at all. If you have any questions just let me know.

That is what I am beginning to believe also.  In looking at jskube84's post, I was hoping to accomplish the same success.  I have just finished exporting all the VMs off the 5.5 build.  I am going to start the 5.0u1 build and see what it brings me.  I have nearly the same set up as jskube84 and have my toes crossed.

post #43 of 51 Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM

It is still working for me today. I am not sure what magic sauce I have but I have rebooted the VM a few times and they always come back. I do use them in a Linux VM though so I dont know if that makes a difference. Also, these are both first run cards, I paid my dues and sat on a giant wait list to get them, I don't know if the new hardware revisions have anything to do with it.

post #44 of 51 Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Very interesting that it works in Linux. I tried multiple motherboards without success too.
post #45 of 51 Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM

So I tried updating the Ceton firmware and hardware and it failed.  I found another post where others were having the same issue.  I also, running in physical hardware, would experience a disappearance of the tuners that a reboot would fix until it happened again.  Seems random and not frequent.  Again another post revealed this occurrence.  So, I receive an offer from Ceton to fix or replace the card for $25 plus S&H which someone else reported it fixed the updating issue.  I am out of warranty and they technically do not have to do this, but they are.  Perhaps this is a more common occurrence than we know?  Just wondering if this might be part of the problem. I am working with them to return the card and have the RMA assigned.  I will let you know what happens.  

post #46 of 51 Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Another thing.  I tried esxi 5.5.0 and 5.0U1.  No dice.  So I jumped over to Xen Server 6.2.0, more difficult to set up, and no dice. One more attempt after replacement, and then I guess I will go with WIndows 8 for media center and Hyper-V for Home server.  Really wanted to go esx though.  Or I may have to try putting the card in another machine and sharing the tuners over the network with the media center inside esx.

post #47 of 51 Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM

I did that with my PCIe card before I got a network tuner. It was pretty much the equivalent of a network tuner, and worked fine for me in ESXi.
post #48 of 51 Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I think pass through is probably a pipe dream at this point. I'm looking at the newer 6 tuner Ethernet version and just sharing them all with a Win7 VM.

I think it's more of a symptom of the state of television in the US than a reflection on the Ceton cards, but it's certainly disappointing the number of compromises, workarounds and straight hacks that are necessary.
post #49 of 51 Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Also, try your Ceton in different PCI-e slots. I know with both of mine in certain slots I would get the PSoD. After a bit of experimenting I found two slots I could put them in and everything would boot fine. Hardware pass-through is a fickle creature.
post #50 of 51 Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Yeah I tried every PCIe slot on two different mobos and it didn't work. Now I've got the ETH6 connected to a Win 7 VM and everything works swimmingly through an Echo (what a surprise eek.gif). Hardware passthrough definitely is finicky. I tried passing through a ton of video cards, but the VM would BSOD (it actually worked on a Mac VM though!). Ethernet controllers and HBAs seem to work pretty solidly passed through though.
post #51 of 51 Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM

I tried the top 2 slots. I will try them all when I get the card back.  Not thinking having Ceton fix the card is going to change anything,but it cannot hurt.  I have been kicking around just putting the card in another computer and sharing the tuners over the network.  Not really the solution I was shooting for, but it may be better than the Hyper-V on WIndows 8 route.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page