random pitch shift - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently rebuilt my HTPC and now during movies I get occasional pitch shifts. No one else notices it but me so it isn't very obvious. I only notice it during music that has some type of sustained pitch. It is always a shift down in pitch, never a shift up. I haven't fully isolated when it happens and not, but so far I think it happens when playing movies in VLC 2 that I ripped from a BluRay into an MKV container. The first time I heard it I thought it was an intentional effect on the movie to make it sound like a really old celluloid movie pulled out of the dust bins. I cannot say this happens with all movies or if it is restricted to just VLC2, BR rips, or MKV files. Although I am leaning toward it being VLC2/BR related since I don't notice it with PVR recordings or DVD rips to mpeg files.

My setup is an AMD 6 core (I know, overkill) with 8GB RAM, Denon AVR 3311CI using the onboard ATI HDMI out for video and audio going through the receiver. I am running on Windows 7 64bit and did a very clean and lean install. For my BR rips I use MakeMKV to do a raw rip into an MKV. I always keep all English audio tracks including the lossless track. VLC does a good job selecting the best track.

It is possible this doesn't exist and it's all in my head, but I don't think so. Has anyone heard of this before and have any suggestions how it would happen?

Scott
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page