Advice needed for PCI soundcard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a PCI soundcard which has coax SPDIF output which can transmit Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.
I purchased a Diamond XtremeSound PCI 7.1 XS71 soundcard and discovered it can only output 2 channel audio through its coax out.
I have tried researching to discover which cards will do this however I find it very unclear what supports these formats over coax.
Can anyone provide a recommendation as to what cards are available which support the requirements below? I may be interested in it also supporting the new 7.1 formats for future proofing.
- PCI
- Coax output onboard (without adapter)
- Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 (via coax)
- Coax input (this is optional)
- HDMI for future proof DD+, DDTrueHD, DTS MA (this is optional)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I used an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card that could output Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Even with that card, it is not going to be able to send 7.1 DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD. That is a limitation of spdif hardware interconnects.

I just looked at a few user reviews for your card at it seems like you are correct, it cannot pass digital multichannel over the spdif jack. Which is extremely bizarre. What playback software were you trying to use to make this work? I remember having a hard time getting the M-Audio to bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS, but I was very new to all of this at the time. A year or so later I bought a new motherboard with toslink out.

As for future proofing, that will come via your video card. All the newer ones are hdmi and can send the hd audio out right with the video.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
Asus Xonar HDAV used to come in a PCI slot config. It had an optical/coax SPDIF output (which I am almost sure does 5.1) along with an HDMI output. That will future proof your audio, as much as a discontinued PCI card can anyway. wink.gif

As stated above the future (and current for that matter) of HTPC audio is either through a video card or onboard video over HDMI.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Discrete soundcards have essentially gone the way of the Carburetor
post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Xonar STX in my gaming box.

Get the Xonar ST for PCI.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Discrete soundcards have essentially gone the way of the Carburetor

Htpc + quality sound card + quality amplification = av nirvana.

10 years from now av receivers will have gone the way of the dodo. ;-)
post #7 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I am unable to find the specific Asus cards mentioned above locally. Does anyone know if the Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 2G will meet the requirements?
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php
post #8 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 AM

Liked: 32
Read through the info at the link for what it states. It all comes down to what you are going to be using it for, and what your expectations are, along with how deep your wallet is.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

I am unable to find the specific Asus cards mentioned above locally. Does anyone know if the Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 2G will meet the requirements?
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php

The Xmeridian will easily pass 5.1 audio through its digital optical connection. There's an adapter to turn that into a coaxial connection.

In fact, if all you need is 5.1 passthrough, there are many cheaper ways to achieve this. The Xmeridian is geared to high quality analog conversion of digital signals, to be fed directly to amplification. There are many other cheaper cards that do what you're looking for. In fact, there are many motherboards that allow 5.1 pass through.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I used an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card that could output Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Even with that card, it is not going to be able to send 7.1 DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD. That is a limitation of spdif hardware interconnects.

I just looked at a few user reviews for your card at it seems like you are correct, it cannot pass digital multichannel over the spdif jack. Which is extremely bizarre. What playback software were you trying to use to make this work? I remember having a hard time getting the M-Audio to bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS, but I was very new to all of this at the time. A year or so later I bought a new motherboard with toslink out.

As for future proofing, that will come via your video card. All the newer ones are hdmi and can send the hd audio out right with the video.

I hate to bump an old thread, but its the most recent I can find with a direct reference to this card. Do you run this with W7? It seems people are doing this successfully, but I am having a tough time getting it to work. The AVR wont pick up the signal from the sound card. The settings are also very weird within the M audio software.

I should note, I am getting audio with the Dolby Digital and DTS passthroughs, but not PCM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page