New Ati graphics Card = Bad Picture Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Ati graphics Card = Bad Picture Quality

Jusy got a 7770 for my htpc and notice that the live tv and blu rays look washed out and theres a slight flicker. It looks half as good as my hd4000 graphics. What Catalyst settings do u guys use? I have no idea where to start.

THNX
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, here is my .02. Under video, quality, video quality, uncheck "enforce smooth video playback". This will allow you to change the other settings. Uncheck all of the adjustments, especially dynamic contrast (which is probably causing the flicker) Depending on what you watch, you may want to experiment with some of the settings. If you primarily watch HD and blu ray, I think it is best to turn them all off. Uncheck automatic deinterlacing and move the slider to "vector adaptive". Check pulldown detection.

Go to video, color, and select "use player settings" and scroll down to the dynamic range setting. Use whichever looks best on your set. Apply the settings. Be ready to go to watch something one day and see some of these settings have changed. In my experience these settings don't always stick, one of the quirks with an ATI card.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Sounds like a 0-255 scale problem exists.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post

In my experience these settings don't always stick, one of the quirks with an ATI card.

Same experience here.

Basically, turn off all the "image enhancing" options you can find (except maybe 3:2 pulldown), and then make sure you have the right pixel format setting selected. Then cross your fingers and hope your settings don't spontaneously change.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My setting have never changed. Do you click apply first?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Surely not everyone suffers from this bug (I certainly hope not anyway). Obviously we hit apply 1st because the settings stick for some period of time before spontaneously changing.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I just had an issue where I noticed everything was too dark. Ran the test pattern and confirmed. Unchecked the smooth video button and suddenly everything was fine. Rechecked the button and the picture was too dark again. So for some reason the enforce smooth playback button was changing my dynamic range setting.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you soo much . what about pixel format and dynamic range.. I have YCbCr 4:4:4 YCbCr 4:2:2 RGB 4:4:4 Studio Limited RGB 4:4:4 Full.

Selected now is YCbCr 4:4:4 . is this right w/ hdmi.

Under color what about color vibrance, brighter whites, flesh tone correction etc.. uncheck that?

Also dynamic range is currently unchecked there is 0-255 Full and 0-235 limited. what do u guys think?

thanks again I was really disappointed at first
post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 251
Always use Full range 0-255 RGB output from a PC if your display supports it. Anything else requires conversions that are often not done with enough precision, and can introduce banding.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 169
For those who's settings don't stick you can fix that by setting the default values in the registry to ones of your choice. I do that for vector adaptive. I can explain if anyone is interested.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Chronoptimist, Ok so to clarify you are saying dynamic range setting should be full 0-255 ? or are you talking about PIXEL FORMAT?

SO Full dynamic range 0-255 and pixel format of RGB 4:4:4 instead of YCbCr 4:4:4?
post #12 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so after some research I have some questions .. by the way I got everything looking a lot better but when it comes to dynamic range and pixel format I don't know.

YCbCr is what blu rays use however is limited to 0-235 dynamic range
RGB Full has 0-255

so u would thing rgb full with a dynamic range setting of 0-255 (full) and ur tv set to rgb full as well would be the best for everything except blu rays.

am I right here?

also what about YCbCr and the dynamic range. if I go with this can I set the dynamic range setting to 0-255 even though YCbCr is only 0-235?

What are u using for both pixel format and dynamic range?

THNX
PAUL
post #13 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Always use Full range 0-255 RGB output from a PC if your display supports it. Anything else requires conversions that are often not done with enough precision, and can introduce banding.

This.

-

post #14 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

For those who's settings don't stick you can fix that by setting the default values in the registry to ones of your choice. I do that for vector adaptive. I can explain if anyone is interested.

pieandchips, I would be interested. I just saw yesterday that my setting for interlacing had changed to bob. Thanks.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
the only thing that changes for me, if ever, is scaling.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #16 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb7873 View Post

Ok so after some research I have some questions .. by the way I got everything looking a lot better but when it comes to dynamic range and pixel format I don't know.
YCbCr is what blu rays use however is limited to 0-235 dynamic range
RGB Full has 0-255
so u would thing rgb full with a dynamic range setting of 0-255 (full) and ur tv set to rgb full as well would be the best for everything except blu rays.
am I right here?
also what about YCbCr and the dynamic range. if I go with this can I set the dynamic range setting to 0-255 even though YCbCr is only 0-235?
What are u using for both pixel format and dynamic range?
THNX
PAUL

Set pixel format to RGB Full and disable everything else. You won't be picking a dynamic range since it should be disabled. You should check "use video player settings" and make sure everything in the video tab of CCC is unchecked.
post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Unless they've fixed the green push issue (which to my knowledge they haven't):

Pixel Format = YCbCr 4:4:4
Dynamic Range: Full (0-255)

This will give you consistent levels across Desktop and Video. I never let the application control the settings, otherwise you have to make sure that all applications are set the same or your settings will keep changing. By settings "Use AMD settings", you control everything through the AMD control panel.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so a couple more questions .. thank u..

Seems like I have a couple of options here but what about my tv settings. this has to correspond with my graphics setting's.. for example

Pixel Format = RGB (FULL)

I should also have my displays rgb range set to 0-255 instead of (16-235). Is that right?

Pixel Format = YCbCr 4:4:4

If I choose this one .. my question is what about the display settings? 16-235 or 0-255?

Corpgator .. u still have an option for dynamic range when Video player setings is checked

Thnx,
Paul
post #19 of 22 Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post

pieandchips, I would be interested. I just saw yesterday that my setting for interlacing had changed to bob. Thanks.

Howdy smile.gif

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{Your string here}\0000\UMD\DXVA]

In the registry browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video. There will probably be a number of folders beneath this key, all of which have a subkey called “0000”. However, there should only be one subkey “0000” which is expandable. This is the one you want. Browse to 0000\UMD\DXVA. Here you will see a lot of keys referencing the CCC default settings.

Export the DXVA branch to get a backup. If you screw up you can always import it back to fix everything.

Change these keys to these values:

DI_METHOD_DEF 5
DI_METHOD 35 00 00 00

Exit, reboot.

From now on the next time the ATI drivers throw a wobbly it will default interlacing to the value 5 which is vector adaptive. Essentially never changing again.
post #20 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Howdy smile.gif

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{Your string here}\0000\UMD\DXVA]

In the registry browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video. There will probably be a number of folders beneath this key, all of which have a subkey called “0000”. However, there should only be one subkey “0000” which is expandable. This is the one you want. Browse to 0000\UMD\DXVA. Here you will see a lot of keys referencing the CCC default settings.
Export the DXVA branch to get a backup. If you screw up you can always import it back to fix everything.
Change these keys to these values:
DI_METHOD_DEF 5
DI_METHOD 35 00 00 00
Exit, reboot.
From now on the next time the ATI drivers throw a wobbly it will default interlacing to the value 5 which is vector adaptive. Essentially never changing again.

Thank you sir, you wouldn't have any other registry values would you? Too many things change with an ATI card.
post #21 of 22 Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Are any other variables not sticking? If not then no need to change the defaults.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb7873 View Post

If I choose this one .. my question is what about the display settings? 16-235 or 0-255?
Corpgator .. u still have an option for dynamic range when Video player setings is checked
Thnx,
Paul

I uncheck it and let madvr handle it. I set CCC to let video player handle it and then uncheck every other option in video. If you're concerned about how things look other than video, than you might not want to do it that way, but I only use my HTPC to output video through mpc-hc using madvr.

I recently changed based on madshi's advice and now have CCC set to output RGB full, madvr set to tv levels (16-235) and my plasma set to accept standard levels 16-235. I then calibrated the tv to display whiter than white up to 253, so there's less banding.

Most blu-rays have whiter than white signals. You can't get whiter than white if everything is set to PC levels, I've learned.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page