TrueHD with core not outputting AC3 core ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
M2TS remux of original BD only video and TrueHD with AC3 core... not working to output the AC3 core... (yes i need a new receiver but until then...)
trying to playback via MPCHC, tried ffdshow, tried LAV splitter, decoder ... no go
tried to do the graphstudio file -- lav spitter -- lav audio decoder -- output ... no go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I don't see any problem in playing AC3 core in a TrueHD / Core audio track in a M2TS file with MPC-HC, LAV Splitter Source and LAV Audio Decoder.

In the above, the file contains three audio tracks: TrueHD / Core (English), AC3 (French) and AC3 (Spanish). AC3 Core (English) = [sub]. Just select the correct audio stream.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
zomg thanks!
firstly ...the LAV splitter was actually not loading ! aka it didnt show the separate tracks truehd, core
and then ... LAV audio would not load (mpchc set as ffdshow blocked and lav audio as preferred) ... so i set ffdshow also preferred ... and uhm ... LAV audio loads ... zomg :X
post #4 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
First off, is this possible with all truehd audio tracks? I thought Dolby had to offer both truehd and ac3 because it wasn't backwards compatible automatically the way dts is.

second, is this possible with haali and ffdshow? When I upgraded shark007 to the version with lav it wrecked my AVI files with xvid video and 5.1 ac3 audio, which I still have dozens of DVDs saved as.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Only Blu-ray TrueHD files have the embedded AC3 track (so a MKV with TrueHD would not, it may however contain a completely separate track if it was created that way), and as far as i know, only LAV Splitter can properly split it and offer it as a separate stream, Haali cannot.
In my experience, its present on all TrueHD Blu-ray discs, but i cannot guarantee that. wink.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Yes, all TrueHD audio tracks in BD movies have AC3 core. TrueHD and AC3 core are completely independent, unlike DTS-HD / DTS core, however.

LAV Splitter Source + LAV Audio Decoder / ffdshow Audio Decoder: Yes, you can switch between TrueHD and AC3 core.
Haali Media Splitter + LAV Audio Decoder / ffdshow Audio Decoder: No.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
nifty thanks for the info guys. strange thing was that I was actually starting to look around for a solution to this last night. most of my bluray discs have dts-ma, so thats easy to deal with when i make an mkv. this explains why I get 5.1 DD when i play a bluray disc but not an mkv.

for my hd-dvds and small number of bluray discs with truehd in the old days I just converted DD+ and truehd to ac3. When I came to my senses and realized that sooner or later I'd have a new receiver capable of hd audio I started putting both in the mkv file. I guess I will do that until I make a purchase.

so if I were to make m2ts files instead of mkv files, with only a video track and a truehd track, would that work to allow me to output DD? Or would I need to keep something else in there too?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I don't know if any of the commonly used TS muxers can write such a blu-ray compatible track, but if they can, it would work.
On the other hand, i believe MakeMKV can at least split the TrueHD track and the AC3 track, so that you get a MKV with both audio tracks. This would be cleaner and doesn't use any more space either, because all it does is split the track, not add any data.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page