Streacom FC5 EVO build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought a FC5 Evo (only 4 heat pipes, not sure of the other differences with the previous version) I feel like the EVO is actually a step backward than the non EVO. I'd feel more confortable with 6 heatpipes than 4, but I could be wrong.

I really wanted to put a mini ATX mobo, to have more HDD options than with a Micro ATX Mobo.

I checked on newegg and all new mini ATX mobo for Ivy Bridge (H77) but the new boards have the CPU socket on the other side of the board. Old Mini ITX had the cpu much closer to the case side. These new board now put the SATA connectors on the edge and once you put the heat pipes, the SATA connectors are no longer accessible.
because of the new location of the CPU the heat pipes are now too short! (Streacom do sell longer pipes but the total cost of the case would become too expensive)

I did found a Z77 Mobo (EVGA 111-IB-E692-KR) that seems to fit the bill based on the picture I see. Although I'm not sure if the CPU power connector will be too close to the heat pipes. Anyway the price is way too expensive ($200)

I really didn't expect this case to be so complicated to associate with a mini ATX mobo. it's becoming a nightmare.

If anyone has a suggestion/idea please help.

Thanks

Update: I confused mini and micro. The issue is to fit a mini ATX mobo. Micro-ATX are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I just finished a build with an HD Plex case that looks exactly like the one you have. I used this H77 board from Asrock and it worked perfectly with the heat pipes. I also liked the fact that it only had 2 RAM slots and was a full inch shorter than a standard MicroATX board. BONUS, it's cheap too!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 PM

Has anoyone actually built a FC5 or FC5 EVO with a mini itx board? Even though it is listed as a compatible form factor, I have not found any mini itx board that fit the layout of the cooling solution. Too me it seems that the heat pipes is only mATX compatible.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

mini-ITX boards are not compatibles with this case. Technically they are, you have the holes for the screws, but unless you find a mobo that has the CPU very close to the the side panel, plus nothing anywhere close to the heatpipes, you have to fall back on a micro ATX.
I did find that the EVGA 111-IB-E692-KR could work, also I'm not 100% about the CPU power connector. it seems a bit too close to the heatpipes.

I already spent a lot of time to look for a ivy bridge mobo and for some reasons, manufacturers have decided to put the CPU far away from the case side. Some older mini ATX mobo with chipset don't have this issue, though.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
How many HDD's are you planning on using? The whole idea behind these cases is to be silent & fanless. If you start cramming it full of hard drives it's going to be noisy and overheat.

I looked at that MB you listed and the heatpipes would miss that connector by a country mile, but $200 (really?)

post #6 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatbrox View Post

mini-ITX boards are not compatibles with this case. Technically they are, you have the holes for the screws, but unless you find a mobo that has the CPU very close to the the side panel, plus nothing anywhere close to the heatpipes, you have to fall back on a micro ATX.
I did find that the EVGA 111-IB-E692-KR could work, also I'm not 100% about the CPU power connector. it seems a bit too close to the heatpipes.
I already spent a lot of time to look for a ivy bridge mobo and for some reasons, manufacturers have decided to put the CPU far away from the case side. Some older mini ATX mobo with chipset don't have this issue, though.

A few mini-ITX boards are listed as compatible with the HD-PLEX H5 series. If H5 is identical to FC5, shouldn't it work in FC5 as well? Or is the cooling solution different (longer heat pipes)?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsga View Post

Has anoyone actually built a FC5 or FC5 EVO with a mini itx board? Even though it is listed as a compatible form factor, I have not found any mini itx board that fit the layout of the cooling solution. Too me it seems that the heat pipes is only mATX compatible.
I have a FC5 build detailed here: http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7682
post #8 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 AM

Yes, but that's micro ATX, not mini-ITX
post #9 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsga View Post

Yes, but that's micro ATX, not mini-ITX
You're right, but I had the same issue you're having looking for a mini-itx motherboard that would work with the heat pipes. This worked perfectly so I used it instead.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 14
Both the Foxconn H61S and H67S MBs have the CPU socket close to the right side. They work with right side heatpipes best.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

the H67S is indeed a good suggestion, it has SATA3 but it's missing USB3 (shouldn't be a showstopper, though). I have unfortunately ordered a Micro ATX board. Bummer!
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FYI

I sent an email to Streacom regarding the FC5 evo about support for the DH77DF or DH61AG intel motherboards.

"hi,
we are going to prepare the long prepare long heatpipe kit in march to our resellers.. then fc5 should be no problem with these motherboard
Streacom

On 29 January 2013 03:34,
From: Subject: FC5 evo vs FC8 evo or INTEL DH77DF or DH61AG

Department: support@streacom.com

Message Body:

I’d like to use the DH77DF or DH61AG in the FC5 evo case, Is this possible?

I see from the system build guide that the intel DH77DF is compatible with the FC8 evo. Can this motherboard also fit the FC5 evo with the long heat pipe? or Can the DH61AG fit into the FC5 evo with the long heat pipes?

--
Sent via contact form on Streacom http://www.streacom.com

HTPC are awesome get one today!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Hi ,
I completed a HTPC with the Streacom FC5 evo ( no OD) with a Gigabyte GA Z 77 MX D3H Mobo and an I7 3770S CPU.
OS is stored on a 120 GB SSD (Samsung 840 Series) , Media on a Samsung 1 TB HDD.

HTPC runs very well , CPU temperatur stays around 48 degree C after hours of operation (Internet Livestream).
Just one little modification made :
Used the heatsink from the OEM CPU Fan on top of the Streacom plate by exchanging the M3 screws to a longer version for better dissipation.

Brgds Juergen
Reply Home Theater Computers