Some newbie questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I am assembling my own system to build my HTPC, and I have gotten the following parts (although all still boxed)

Gigabyte B75M-D3H (Microcenter deal with Intel chip)
Intel i3 3225 (Microcenter deal with motherboard)
Silverstone GD04B case
Corsair CX430 PSU
8 GB Kingston Blue Hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600 (12800)

So I am missing a few parts, and have a few questions so any advice would be appreciated.

1) Being new, I did not know much about spec'ing the memory, and apparently it is 1.65v. From what I have read, it will void my Intel warranty to run the memory at 1.65v. Instead, I can run it at 1333 at 1.5v. The memory was a good ($29.99) price through Amazon, but not a great price. I have been following the prices (after Black Friday) and have not seen 8GB of DDR3 1600 cheaper (although I have seen 1333 for about the same) . I won't be doing gaming (as far as I know), this unit will be my DVR, and hopefully I will be able to move some of my movie collection onto a large hard drive and store the actual discs somewhere else. If I run this memory at 1333 will it make any difference? Or should I return it and get 1600 speed that runs at 1.5v?

2) I'm not sure what to do about an internal BD-Rom (or burner) drive. Are there any that come with playback software that people recommend? Is it possible to rip the blu-rays to the HDD and not have to worry about direct playback by the internal drive, so that any internal BR player will work? I have a couple of 3D blu-rays as well, so it would be nice to get those to work.

3) This question is semi-related to #2 in that I am still torn about an operating system. I have little experience with Linux, and it seems that not all hardware will work with all linux iterations, or at least there sometimes seem to be issues (from what I read, and I have been reading a lot recently). Office Depot has a great price for Windows 8 Pro ($69.99) and Microsoft is offering the Media Center for Windows 8 Pro fro free until Jan 31. So I am looking for advice as to the operating system that will be the easiest to set up and use for a novice.

4) Recommended TV tuner card (internal)? I do not need a cable card, and currently have no need to distribute the signal to any other TVs. I will probably use a rabbit ears antenna (which works great with my Sony DHG-HDD250 that Sony and Rovi are bricking come April)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not much to say about the operating system M/S is offering win8 upgrade by download 39.00

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

I've heard of people doing a clean install of windows via an upgrade. If you google it im sure you'll find info on it. I don't see a reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 unless you have a touch screen yet 69.00 bucks is cheap for a full version of 8. It's that whole windows live thing though.

Newegg has has this b/r burner 39.00 after the rebate. I have had no issues with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

if your using ota then the HD Homerun works great dual tuners and no need to mess with drivers or anything else. I can record 2 shows and watch a 3rd using the tv tuner. You can watch live tv on any laptop or even record to a laptop as it goes though your network way more options than using a tuner card just my thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007
I've seen it cheaper on amazon.

as far as the memory if your mob supports 1333 you should not have a problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
1. Memory speed will not matter in a basic playback HTPC

2. Some BD drives come with stripped down versions of playback software. If you want to rip there are plenty of guides out there... MakeMKV seems to be popular.

3. Linux cannot play BD straight from a disk, you will need to rip first.

4. Any ATSC tuner card should work fine in Windows 7, not so sure about Windows 8.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page