SSD and Documents? New Build After Nine Years... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, my old ASUS P4PE with Intel 2.4 GHz processor with maxed out 2G of memory is starting to show it's age. This build was rock solid for 9 years with little or no trouble. All I had to do over time was to add drives and replace power supplies.

So I'm starting to do research and I'm curious about the SSDS. I know they aren't essential, but they look like fun. I've been reading and I like the idea of two drives. It'll be faster and the partitioning is already done.

So if I get one, say 120G for just the OS and programs, can Windows 7 allow all the other junk, like user documents, to be moved off to a second drive? I mean I know I can build directories wherever I want, but will Windows recognize it as the "my documents" folder? Also, any other folders Windows wants to recognize automatically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

Well, my old ASUS P4PE with Intel 2.4 GHz processor with maxed out 2G of memory is starting to show it's age. This build was rock solid for 9 years with little or no trouble. All I had to do over time was to add drives and replace power supplies.
So I'm starting to do research and I'm curious about the SSDS. I know they aren't essential, but they look like fun. I've been reading and I like the idea of two drives. It'll be faster and the partitioning is already done.
So if I get one, say 120G for just the OS and programs, can Windows 7 allow all the other junk, like user documents, to be moved off to a second drive? I mean I know I can build directories wherever I want, but will Windows recognize it as the "my documents" folder? Also, any other folders Windows wants to recognize automatically?

You can definitely move the MyDocuments, Pictures, etc. to wherever you would like. Check out this URL: http://headstrongfarm.hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7_-_Moving_My_Documents

You can also make symbolic links for folders if the above doesn't work. TBH you shouldn't need to move those folders though. I have a 120GB SSD with OS and all documents and plenty of room to spare. I just have another drive for data, media, games, etc.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

So I'm starting to do research and I'm curious about the SSDS. I know they aren't essential, but they look like fun.

That's what everyone says until they get one tongue.gif

Looky here!
post #4 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

agree.

SSD is essential.

I will not own or operate a PC without one.

I would rather go without a computer.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
lol Mfusick.

I have SSD on my own laptop and will put one on the htpc. Wife doesnt have one and doesnt care. I will put one in some time though.

I got the office to replace my work laptop mech. drive with an ssd, but wow the encryption slowed it down. Its better than before, but much slower than i was hoping to be.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you could replace "ssd" with "fast PC" in my above post.

I refuse to wait for inferior hardware. I am just not good at "waiting" and I don't like to do it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 202
In a nutshell: Right click on any of the 'My' folders -> pick 'Properties' -> 'Location' -> 'Move'.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

In a nutshell: Right click on any of the 'My' folders -> pick 'Properties' -> 'Location' -> 'Move'.

Thanks! And windows will track it's new location? LIke if "my documents" was the default location for office, 7 will track the directory at it's new location?
post #9 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

yup. Note that you can't move the whole she-bang at once and must move each 'My' folder separately. 'My Pictures', 'My Music', 'Recorded TV'...etc...
post #10 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you!
post #11 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshack View Post

You can also make symbolic links for folders if the above doesn't work. TBH you shouldn't need to move those folders though.

I set my system up with symbolic links and what a nightmare it has become. File management is a mess, especially if your profile falls apart and you need to make a new one and transfer files. Search doesn't work unless you open up the data drive in explorer and search from there.
post #12 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

i have been doing what olyteddy said for years without any problems. I have only eve had one issue with acdsee. It woudlnt show the folders on the left. For that i created a folder called my documents in the original location, then acdsee worked again, showing the new moved location correctly. that was acdsee 9 or 10. dont know if the new ones have issues.

otherwise everything thing else has been aware and search was never a problem either. win7pro..64bit.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Sounds like SSDS are problematic, robnix? I can live without one. Compared to my old XP build, Win 7 64 bit on my new office machine boots fast. Are they problematic?

Also, I don't know what this is "acdsee".
post #14 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks to all!
Sounds like SSDS are problematic, robnix? I can live without one. Compared to my old XP build, Win 7 64 bit on my new office machine boots fast. Are they problematic?
Also, I don't know what this is "acdsee".

What he meant was that SSDs are viewed as an optional luxury until you get used to them - then it feels mandatory, because waiting around on a mechanical drive becomes painful. Using my work laptop, which still has a traditional hard drive, is a major pain compared to my home desktop. SSDs just make everything faster. At this point, SSDs are just as reliable as mechanical drives, if not more so.
post #15 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

acdsee is a picture viewing/editing/cataloging software.

post #16 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all!

I think I'm good to go. Programs and OS on a 120 Gig SSD, all other data on a 2 TB drive.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just ran this 30 second ago... for another thread ( you can see in the back ground)

This is my $99 240GB SSD. I ran this benchmark while downloading and running mediamaster on my movie folder on my second monitor. I also have itunes playing music.

Want to compare to your HDD ????

Here:

It's free and quick and easy.

ATTO. http://majorgeeks.com/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_d6359.html

I would be curious to put math to the difference in speed. I bet it's some really stupid number or percent the SSD is faster.

-

post #18 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@ OP. what did you do ? Thoughts?

-

post #19 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

@ OP. what did you do ? Thoughts?

I've done nothing. I'm weighing the alternatives to HTPC after finding out it cannot do 24 FPS correctly.
post #20 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've done nothing. I'm weighing the alternatives to HTPC after finding out it cannot do 24 FPS correctly.

Why do so many people get hung up on this.

It's a 100% non issue. It really is.

"doing 24p" is the most over abused and over worried about and over talked about non existent issue in HTPC IMO.

Only newbies ignorant to all the facts think it's an issue. If you never read about it in a forum 99% of people would not even know it existed.

The other 1% are the brain damaged AV obsessed. It's a personality thing to seek absolute perfection. Even if you granted those people 10 year newer future technology that was vastly superior it would not be long before they took issue with something about its performance realizing it's not perfect. These people I actually respect enough to decide to try to fix it - since it's their right to try.

But honestly- the talk about the issue that effects only the 1% super perfectionists just scares away good folks that don't know better.

What exactly is your concern about "HTPC not doing 24FPS correctly" ?? You know it's about 99.996% accurate right ?

You could never tell if it dropped a frame. Not in casual watching for enjoyment.

-

post #21 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, good luck with that. The only reason you've even heard of the issue with HTPCs is that it's easy to 'measure' it with the PC. I doubt there are any standalone players that actually do any better, you just don't hear about it being a problem with a standalone because there isn't an easy way to measure it...

PS: Exactly how did you 'find out' a HTPC can't do 24 FPS? Did you read it on the Internet or something? tongue.gif
post #22 of 24 Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Yeah, good luck with that. The only reason you've even heard of the issue with HTPCs is that it's easy to 'measure' it with the PC. I doubt there are any standalone players that actually do any better, you just don't hear about it being a problem with a standalone because there isn't an easy way to measure it...
PS: Exactly how did you 'find out' a HTPC can't do 24 FPS? Did you read it on the Internet or something? tongue.gif

Right. I for sure think it's way overblown.

You only even know about it because it's a PC and you can detect and measure it easily.

A stand alone player or other devices you can not measure it so most people don't even know or realize if its good or bad.

The best part of a HTPC is that you can get perfect 24p if you really wanted to. It's easy. I just don't think it's worth it.

-

post #23 of 24 Old 12-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just built my first HTPC and I don't see any issues with 24fps. Used Intel celeron and Radeon HD 5xxx card.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysyndrome View Post

I just built my first HTPC and I don't see any issues with 24fps. Used Intel celeron and Radeon HD 5xxx card.

There is not any issues.

The only issue is with a PC you can measure it so some get obsessed about it.

It's not a real world problem at all for normal folks.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page