Simple HTPC/media server with satellite receiver (noob) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new and confused by all this stuff, so please forgive the dumb/noob questions.

I currently have a simple set top satellite receiver, that just died, we also have an old WDTV media player.

As the STB needs replacing, I would like to take the opportunity to build a HTPC that incorporates a satellite receiver. Cost and power consumption are concerns. I have read a lot of forum posts that discuss this stuff, but I am struggling to find a good, simple, inexpensive solution that will allow us some flexibility in the future.

My (2) kids also have PC's in their bedrooms, and will will be installing gigabit ethernet through the house, so I'd also like them to be able to access the HTPC so they can play movies and music.

So, some specific questions/concerns:

Is it feasible to do the above on a reasonable (small) budget

What Satellite receiver card(s) would you recommend I consider

Can we do away with a remote control,and use tablets/netbooks for remote control

What spec (CPU/RAM...) system would work well for this

If we add PVR, we would like to be able to record terrestrial & satellite. Is this a case of adding another receiver card (can you get Sat & Terr combined receiver cards)

Any other tips, pointer, advice would be VERY welcome.

p.s.
I have a preference for Linux, I guess that may alter what receiver cards would be suitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you in the North America or somewhere else? If you are in the US, I assume you have either Directv or Dish Network. Either way, there are no PC tuners for satellite providers in North America so what you seek cannot be done. If you are somewhere else especially Europe, you can do it but it but you will need to seek help elsewhere since this forum is Norh American-centric so the odds of getting help are very slim.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah, I'm in Europe. Thanks for letting me know, I will look for fora that are more focused on Europe.
Reply Home Theater Computers