HTPC parts recommendation! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone I need some HTPC help, I used to know my way around CPUs and stuff, but haven't been following for years so I'm kinda out of good information, I want to build a new pc that is going to be used only to play 1080p H264 video on my TV, some light server usages mostly to share with the other two rooms all the files, but I'm looking for a HTPC powerful enough to take care of video decoding, and if possible kinda future prof for the new standards 4k stuff.

Crucial Ballistix 8GBs
Phenom II X4 955 Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket AM3+

Currently that's what I had on my list, using the MB graphics card ATI 3000.

But then I realized it might run too hot for a HTPC, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
Rafael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Don't like Intel ?

It's a bit cooler and more efficient these days .

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
That chipset is almost 4 years old

post #4 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree with the others, and favor the intel over AMD. (SandyBridge/Ivy Bridge)

If you absolutely have to have AMD, look at the newer FM2/Trinity offerings.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaeldb View Post

Hi everyone I need some HTPC help, I used to know my way around CPUs and stuff, but haven't been following for years so I'm kinda out of good information, I want to build a new pc that is going to be used only to play 1080p H264 video on my TV, some light server usages mostly to share with the other two rooms all the files, but I'm looking for a HTPC powerful enough to take care of video decoding, and if possible kinda future prof for the new standards 4k stuff.
Crucial Ballistix 8GBs
Phenom II X4 955 Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket AM3+
Currently that's what I had on my list, using the MB graphics card ATI 3000.
But then I realized it might run too hot for a HTPC, do you guys have any suggestions?
Thanks
Rafael

Phenom? Thats not really a HTPC cpu, or any basis for a computer these days. Sure if you got one for super cheap or something, but I wouldn't shell out a lot of money on one. 4K video requires a discrete card that can output it period, no cpu on the market currently can output 4k using its integrated graphics.

The 65W quadcore trinity, and 65w tricore llano make a good HTPC's.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info, I was going by price alone, I rather get an Intel for sure, but yesterday I did a new configuration

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB
ECS B75H2-M3(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ...

I thought about the AMD trinity but is that powerful enough? I was reading the new anandtech article about it and it seemed great for a HTPC, except it would not be ready to play 4k stuff, I know its a long shot to think about this stuff now, but its going to be a home server not meant for a lot, so I don't plan on updating it quite often, how do you guys feel about the last configuration? in the future I could add a discrete vid card and extra memory. Heat is a big concern, since the setup will be inside my tv cabinet. I have an old Zalman 9500 cooler that I can use on it and a fan less power supply.

Thanks Again!
Rafael
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Phenom? Thats not really a HTPC cpu, or any basis for a computer these days. Sure if you got one for super cheap or something, but I wouldn't shell out a lot of money on one. 4K video requires a discrete card that can output it period, no cpu on the market currently can output 4k using its integrated graphics.
The 65W quadcore trinity, and 65w tricore llano make a good HTPC's.

That opens some light on the issue, if I'll have to add a discrete card later I rather go with the trinity, power saving and smaller, able to play 1080p sources and some light server duties?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaeldb View Post

That opens some light on the issue, if I'll have to add a discrete card later I rather go with the trinity, power saving and smaller, able to play 1080p sources and some light server duties?

I see no reason to go with Trinity if you're going to pair it up with a separate video card. Yes it supports dual graphics, but I believe it didn't end up performing as well as one might hope in some benchmarks (unfortunately I don't remember where I saw this though). Trinity draws less power than an i3 at idle but more at peak, even with a 65W model.

I built my Trinity A10-5700 HTPC with some light gaming in mind, so I was fine without a separate video card. If you decide that the built-in graphics is not good enough for you, then I'd go for an i3.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree with SlantNGo. If you know you are going to get a discrete video card later, you might as well get the intel CPU for the better chip power/performance.

Pair it with a MB that has Lucid Virtu MVP on newer H77/Z77 chipsets.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I think I'll go with the i3, good enough performance and less heat, I was reading on the Lucid Virtu MVP is that just some way to add more power to 3D rendering or is also a way to switch from discrete to integrated when I want, just to save power for example?

Rafael
post #11 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Trinity A8/A10 is (much) better than Intel HD Graphics 2500 (and 4000) in video playback with more or less the same power consumption as Core i3. If you prefer Intel, you'd better choose Core i3-3225 (Intel HD Graphics 4000).

The main usage of Lucid Virtu nowadays is reduce v-sync issues in gaming. Latest graphics cards consume only 5-10W at idle.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page