Multiple external drives with HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am planning on building a HTPC. Before I got into it I just wanted to know if I could do one thing with WMC or XMBC or anything. All my movies are in multiple 3.5 internal drives. About 10 of them and I keep adding drives as I expand my library. Right now I use a nexstar hdd dock to plug one of them in and use a popcorn hour to play them. I am not looking to install all 10 drives into my HTPC. What I wanted to know was if it was possible to index all my movies into one giant library with separate category for drives in which they are and cross referenced by genre, actor etc. So when i pick a movies from the entire library the movie page also gives me the source location so I can plug that drive in and watch. Or I could choose from a list of just the movies in the drive already plugged in.
I know that what I ask maybe pretty complicated but this is the one functionality for which I would want to build a HTPC and if this wasnt possible I will just stick with my popcorn hour.

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Build a server with all the drives you have, put it in the basement, connect it to the HTPC via wired gigabit network, and you should be access your movies instantly from either WMC or XBMC. Plus, as you add more HTPCs to other rooms in the house, they will be able to access your digital colleciton through the network too.

Edit. Use a server software that will allow you to create redundancy without having to delete the drives, so that when you lose one drive, you won't have to re-rip/re-download them again.

We have about 1500 movie titles, and I sure as heck would hate to have to re-do it all. We started the server when the DVD count reached 20 or so back in the 90's. It was just too cumbersome to look for a DVD to put in the player when you wanted to watch something...

Still running the same server on PII 233 MHz with MMX, just using a different RAID controller.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I dont need a server cause we only have one HT room and that is where all the movies are played. So just one HTPC. And I already have about 11 drives and am going to keep adding more. I dont delete any of my movies or episodes. And since all of them are exclusively bluray I feel I will keep running out of space if I made a server or nas box or anything of that sort.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page