Atom Bay Trail - The next great HTPC chip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How many of us are planning on bay trail for their next build?

Dx11
HDMI 1.4
quad core 2.1ghz
HD4000 based graphics

It sounds like it will be a fully capable HTPC while using almost no electricity.

Bay-Trail-T-3.jpg 116k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bay-Trail-T-3.jpg (115.9 KB, 65 views)
jeffkro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Member
 
sumrtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Only 4 execution units vs 16 for graphics as compared to Ivy Bridge.
sumrtym is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym View Post

Only 4 execution units vs 16 for graphics as compared to Ivy Bridge.

Don't get me wrong, ivy bridge is faster. Its just that bay trail should do everything HTPC at significantly lower power consumption and probably easily allow for passive cooling. CULV ivy bridge could probably do the same thing but you are talking $200 just for the chip and not really available to system builders. The lower execution units will rule out people that use MadVR I'm assuming.
jeffkro is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
CSMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am planning to. I am hoping to see tiny systems based on this.
The first worthwhile Atom chip IMO, with Intel using its latest graphics and process technology, unlike Atoms of the past.
CSMR is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR View Post

I am planning to. I am hoping to see tiny systems based on this.
The first worthwhile Atom chip IMO, with Intel using its latest graphics and process technology, unlike Atoms of the past.

I personally want an itx board with one pcie slot and desktop ram, I'm mostly looking for a low Watt system to replace my zacate setup. But yeah a prebuilt mini system might be nice for an extender/client.
jeffkro is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
almostinsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Since when is Atom the next great anything?
almostinsane is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I always try the newest generation Atom. I've built quite a few fully passive Atom PCs for music servers and nettop/kids' school PCs. It's always a bit weird turning one on though and hearing absolutely nothing. I can use the smallest case I have (197x197x80mm) with no worries about fan noise, heat, etc.

If it's really going to be a 22nm quad-core with 60-70% CPU improvement and some kind of Intel HD graphics or derivative it might finally be what we want.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
dksc318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you use the DN2800MT? How was it as a streaming device?
dksc318 is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Did you use the DN2800MT? How was it as a streaming device?

I tried the D2700DC board. It did everything well except it would not play Netflix HD. Also, in Windows I had to turn Aero effects off to get rid of an annoying effect seen when min/max'ing windows. What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.

The GPU driver issues are what kill this platform. There is absolutely no support for the onboard video in Linux (would have made a great passive OpenELEC system if there were support) and the GPU driver in Windows is 32-bit only so the whole install ends up being 32-bit.

So, I've only used the D2700DC then for passive nettop and music server applications. I have been looking at getting in some D2550/GT610M motherboards but they have fans (in my experience these fans are noisy/breakdown and are hard to replace) and they're comparatively expensive.

Ideally, there'll be a passive Bay Trail board and it'll have the regular Intel HD graphics or some derivative that uses the same Intel drivers as the other GPUs.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I tried the D2700DC board. It did everything well except it would not play Netflix HD. Also, in Windows I had to turn Aero effects off to get rid of an annoying effect seen when min/max'ing windows. What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.
The GPU driver issues are what kill this platform. There is absolutely no support for the onboard video in Linux (would have made a great passive OpenELEC system if there were support) and the GPU driver in Windows is 32-bit only so the whole install ends up being 32-bit.
So, I've only used the D2700DC then for passive nettop and music server applications. I have been looking at getting in some D2550/GT610M motherboards but they have fans (in my experience these fans are noisy/breakdown and are hard to replace) and they're comparatively expensive.
Ideally, there'll be a passive Bay Trail board and it'll have the regular Intel HD graphics or some derivative that uses the same Intel drivers as the other GPUs.

Yup, netflix HD, hulu HD, youtube HD is the main reason atom and zacate have not been acceptable HTPC's. Streaming is one of the major uses of HTPC's. I have an old athlon II system sitting around that I'm actually thinking about going back to for my secondary HTPC, my zacate system just doesn't cut it.
jeffkro is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I always try the newest generation Atom. I've built quite a few fully passive Atom PCs for music servers and nettop/kids' school PCs. It's always a bit weird turning one on though and hearing absolutely nothing. I can use the smallest case I have (197x197x80mm) with no worries about fan noise, heat, etc.
If it's really going to be a 22nm quad-core with 60-70% CPU improvement and some kind of Intel HD graphics or derivative it might finally be what we want.

I think 60-70% cpu performance is a slam dunk, twice the number of cores and a faster clock speed. So it should almost get there without any architecture improvements.
jeffkro is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
dksc318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

..... What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.
The GPU driver issues are what kill this platform. There is absolutely no support for the onboard video in Linux (would have made a great passive OpenELEC system if there were support) and the GPU driver in Windows is 32-bit only so the whole install ends up being 32-bit.
....
Intel must have realized fixing the Atom video driver would impact sales of higher end Sandybidge platforms.
dksc318 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Intel must have realized fixing the Atom video driver would impact sales of higher end Sandybidge platforms.

I bet it'll be the last time they use someone else's GPU smile.gif

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I bet it'll be the last time they use someone else's GPU smile.gif

They have already said as much. I welcome the new Atom and I am looking forward to it for tablets though I think the NUC setups that Intel is pushing will effectively kill the new Atom as an HTPC platform given the superior performance of the current Ivy Bridge hardware and the Haswell NUC design that is coming out in several months.
LexInVA is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

They have already said as much. I welcome the new Atom and I am looking forward to it for tablets though I think the NUC setups that Intel is pushing will effectively kill the new Atom as an HTPC platform given the superior performance of the current Ivy Bridge hardware and the Haswell NUC design that is coming out in several months.

I was thinking that the mobile desktop stuff could kill Atom too but the price of the processor they're using in the NUC is $225 alone. That makes it hard for anyone but Intel to sell them at a decent price. As long as they're that price and you can get an Atom board for $80, there'll be a place for Atom. Though, now that I say that the $85 Celeron 847 boards I've tried are really nice, have the Intel 2000 HD GPU and can run Netflix HD. I just wish someone would make a passive one. Atom is 18W TDP and the Celeron 847 is 17W TDP so there's no reason it cannot have a huge passive heatsink on it instead of these noisy 40mm fans.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
dksc318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Atom will move to compete with ARM. They will get more cores and lower power.
dksc318 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 1,869
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Any news in this space? I saw a few Windows 8 convertibles that will be using Bay Trail. Just wondered if anyone saw what kind of video playback capability is has.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
techmattr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Any news in this space? I saw a few Windows 8 convertibles that will be using Bay Trail. Just wondered if anyone saw what kind of video playback capability is has.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel-baytrail-preview-intel-atom-z3770-tested


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
techmattr is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Now if only someone would make a decent-sized 1080P Bay Trail tablet with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio and an SD card slot and a USB port.
LexInVA is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Here are three new ECS Bay Trail-D motherboards. No news on price/availability.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7453/ecs-reveals-bay-traild-miniitx-line


 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Spec4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Now if only someone would make a decent-sized 1080P Bay Trail tablet with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio and an SD card slot and a USB port.

Exhibit A (my favorite)

Exhibit B

Exhibit C
Spec4 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I am interested in what happens with the HDMI hooked to the tablet. Can you extend or duplicate the displays? With full Windows 8.1 running I am assuming you can add WMC, setup Live TV through networked cable card, etc. and basically make the tablet an HTPC. It would be interesting to sit the tablet on a dock and use it as a touchscreen HTPC. I wonder what to use as a remote. USB IR receiver? Network remote control?

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
CSMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Here are three new ECS Bay Trail-D motherboards.
These are legacy designs for interfacing with old equipment (via COM, PS/2, VGA).

Intel will have a NUC in Q1 2014:

http://techreport.com/news/25373/report-bay-trail-nuc-to-cost-139-support-2-5-inch-drives

I hope the wifi card can be replaced with mSATA for an SSD boot drive.
CSMR is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Jeff Krogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bummer they went with the dual core bay trail for the NUC.  That might make it under powered for handling Netflix HD.
Jeff Krogue is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR View Post

These are legacy designs for interfacing with old equipment (via COM, PS/2, VGA).

I am not sure how that matters. They also have HDMI and SATA connections, making them suitable for HTPC use as well.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off