Atom Bay Trail - The next great HTPC chip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How many of us are planning on bay trail for their next build?

Dx11
HDMI 1.4
quad core 2.1ghz
HD4000 based graphics

It sounds like it will be a fully capable HTPC while using almost no electricity.

Bay-Trail-T-3.jpg 116k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bay-Trail-T-3.jpg (115.9 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 13
Only 4 execution units vs 16 for graphics as compared to Ivy Bridge.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym View Post

Only 4 execution units vs 16 for graphics as compared to Ivy Bridge.

Don't get me wrong, ivy bridge is faster. Its just that bay trail should do everything HTPC at significantly lower power consumption and probably easily allow for passive cooling. CULV ivy bridge could probably do the same thing but you are talking $200 just for the chip and not really available to system builders. The lower execution units will rule out people that use MadVR I'm assuming.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am planning to. I am hoping to see tiny systems based on this.
The first worthwhile Atom chip IMO, with Intel using its latest graphics and process technology, unlike Atoms of the past.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR View Post

I am planning to. I am hoping to see tiny systems based on this.
The first worthwhile Atom chip IMO, with Intel using its latest graphics and process technology, unlike Atoms of the past.

I personally want an itx board with one pcie slot and desktop ram, I'm mostly looking for a low Watt system to replace my zacate setup. But yeah a prebuilt mini system might be nice for an extender/client.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Since when is Atom the next great anything?
post #7 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I always try the newest generation Atom. I've built quite a few fully passive Atom PCs for music servers and nettop/kids' school PCs. It's always a bit weird turning one on though and hearing absolutely nothing. I can use the smallest case I have (197x197x80mm) with no worries about fan noise, heat, etc.

If it's really going to be a 22nm quad-core with 60-70% CPU improvement and some kind of Intel HD graphics or derivative it might finally be what we want.

post #8 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Liked: 14
Did you use the DN2800MT? How was it as a streaming device?
post #9 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Did you use the DN2800MT? How was it as a streaming device?

I tried the D2700DC board. It did everything well except it would not play Netflix HD. Also, in Windows I had to turn Aero effects off to get rid of an annoying effect seen when min/max'ing windows. What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.

The GPU driver issues are what kill this platform. There is absolutely no support for the onboard video in Linux (would have made a great passive OpenELEC system if there were support) and the GPU driver in Windows is 32-bit only so the whole install ends up being 32-bit.

So, I've only used the D2700DC then for passive nettop and music server applications. I have been looking at getting in some D2550/GT610M motherboards but they have fans (in my experience these fans are noisy/breakdown and are hard to replace) and they're comparatively expensive.

Ideally, there'll be a passive Bay Trail board and it'll have the regular Intel HD graphics or some derivative that uses the same Intel drivers as the other GPUs.

post #10 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I tried the D2700DC board. It did everything well except it would not play Netflix HD. Also, in Windows I had to turn Aero effects off to get rid of an annoying effect seen when min/max'ing windows. What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.
The GPU driver issues are what kill this platform. There is absolutely no support for the onboard video in Linux (would have made a great passive OpenELEC system if there were support) and the GPU driver in Windows is 32-bit only so the whole install ends up being 32-bit.
So, I've only used the D2700DC then for passive nettop and music server applications. I have been looking at getting in some D2550/GT610M motherboards but they have fans (in my experience these fans are noisy/breakdown and are hard to replace) and they're comparatively expensive.
Ideally, there'll be a passive Bay Trail board and it'll have the regular Intel HD graphics or some derivative that uses the same Intel drivers as the other GPUs.

Yup, netflix HD, hulu HD, youtube HD is the main reason atom and zacate have not been acceptable HTPC's. Streaming is one of the major uses of HTPC's. I have an old athlon II system sitting around that I'm actually thinking about going back to for my secondary HTPC, my zacate system just doesn't cut it.
post #11 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I always try the newest generation Atom. I've built quite a few fully passive Atom PCs for music servers and nettop/kids' school PCs. It's always a bit weird turning one on though and hearing absolutely nothing. I can use the smallest case I have (197x197x80mm) with no worries about fan noise, heat, etc.
If it's really going to be a 22nm quad-core with 60-70% CPU improvement and some kind of Intel HD graphics or derivative it might finally be what we want.

I think 60-70% cpu performance is a slam dunk, twice the number of cores and a faster clock speed. So it should almost get there without any architecture improvements.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

..... What was strange about Netflix HD is that it was stuttering and freezing but it the CPU wasn't max'd out so I suspect it was more a GPU driver issue.
Intel must have realized fixing the Atom video driver would impact sales of higher end Sandybidge platforms.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Intel must have realized fixing the Atom video driver would impact sales of higher end Sandybidge platforms.

I bet it'll be the last time they use someone else's GPU smile.gif

post #14 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I bet it'll be the last time they use someone else's GPU smile.gif

They have already said as much. I welcome the new Atom and I am looking forward to it for tablets though I think the NUC setups that Intel is pushing will effectively kill the new Atom as an HTPC platform given the superior performance of the current Ivy Bridge hardware and the Haswell NUC design that is coming out in several months.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

They have already said as much. I welcome the new Atom and I am looking forward to it for tablets though I think the NUC setups that Intel is pushing will effectively kill the new Atom as an HTPC platform given the superior performance of the current Ivy Bridge hardware and the Haswell NUC design that is coming out in several months.

I was thinking that the mobile desktop stuff could kill Atom too but the price of the processor they're using in the NUC is $225 alone. That makes it hard for anyone but Intel to sell them at a decent price. As long as they're that price and you can get an Atom board for $80, there'll be a place for Atom. Though, now that I say that the $85 Celeron 847 boards I've tried are really nice, have the Intel 2000 HD GPU and can run Netflix HD. I just wish someone would make a passive one. Atom is 18W TDP and the Celeron 847 is 17W TDP so there's no reason it cannot have a huge passive heatsink on it instead of these noisy 40mm fans.

post #16 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Atom will move to compete with ARM. They will get more cores and lower power.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Any news in this space? I saw a few Windows 8 convertibles that will be using Bay Trail. Just wondered if anyone saw what kind of video playback capability is has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #18 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Any news in this space? I saw a few Windows 8 convertibles that will be using Bay Trail. Just wondered if anyone saw what kind of video playback capability is has.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel-baytrail-preview-intel-atom-z3770-tested

post #19 of 25 Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Now if only someone would make a decent-sized 1080P Bay Trail tablet with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio and an SD card slot and a USB port.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are three new ECS Bay Trail-D motherboards. No news on price/availability.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7453/ecs-reveals-bay-traild-miniitx-line

post #21 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Now if only someone would make a decent-sized 1080P Bay Trail tablet with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio and an SD card slot and a USB port.

Exhibit A (my favorite)

Exhibit B

Exhibit C
post #22 of 25 Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I am interested in what happens with the HDMI hooked to the tablet. Can you extend or duplicate the displays? With full Windows 8.1 running I am assuming you can add WMC, setup Live TV through networked cable card, etc. and basically make the tablet an HTPC. It would be interesting to sit the tablet on a dock and use it as a touchscreen HTPC. I wonder what to use as a remote. USB IR receiver? Network remote control?

post #23 of 25 Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Here are three new ECS Bay Trail-D motherboards.
These are legacy designs for interfacing with old equipment (via COM, PS/2, VGA).

Intel will have a NUC in Q1 2014:

http://techreport.com/news/25373/report-bay-trail-nuc-to-cost-139-support-2-5-inch-drives

I hope the wifi card can be replaced with mSATA for an SSD boot drive.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 10
Bummer they went with the dual core bay trail for the NUC.  That might make it under powered for handling Netflix HD.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR View Post

These are legacy designs for interfacing with old equipment (via COM, PS/2, VGA).

I am not sure how that matters. They also have HDMI and SATA connections, making them suitable for HTPC use as well.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page