dual LAN. WTF is the purpose ???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I have dual lan on my motherboard. One is Intel.

I have dual LAN on my server. One is an Intel NIC card. Other is stock Asrock.

Does it make sense to connect the server and PC with a switch- and run internet to each PC from the router ???

Or not ?

Currently- I have my modem to a router- the router to a switch- and all clients plugged into the gigabit switch.

That still the best way to do it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Dual LAN = Well..."dual" LANs... smile.gif

Right now, you only have a single LAN, so, no benefit. Now, you could go crazy with LAN configurations....for e.g. seperate all your media traffic on one LAN, internet on the other...or run a teamed adapter setup, or run a VPN on the second NIC or...Well, you get the idea.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Both my servers have dual LAN. One is a commercial (vs desktop) board with two on MB intel NICs. I can use "teaming" function in Windows7. The new server box I just brought up has a PCI Ralink NIC plus the MB NIC and I didn't see teaming function available. Still looking at how to do teaming.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Teaming doesn't really offer you anything unless your routers and switches support Link Aggregation

post #5 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Teaming doesn't really offer you anything unless your routers and switches support Link Aggregation

And even then, it's really useful only on the server side, where you may have multiple clients connecting to it. A single session on the client side will always be limited to the speed of a single NIC.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That still the best way to do it ?

You most likely have no reason to use both NICs. Some reasons why one might:

1) Link aggregation - LACP: Link the 2 ports together so they act as one really fast connection. Your switch has to support and be configured for this and that's typically only found on more expensive managed switches. This only makes sense when you have clients who together can exceed the bandwidth of one 1GbE port. Unless you had a bunch of computers pounding your server all the time and 1GbE connection really isn't fast enough, this doesn't make sense for someone at home. Corporations and data centers? Used all the time.

2) Link aggregation - Failover: Instead of linking them to act as one port, the second one takes over if the first one fails. Useful in enterprise situations where you can't tolerate a NIC failure. For home users, it usually doesn't matter.

3) You need to connect to 2 different networks. Again, not typical in a home environment but common in corporations and data centers.

4) You're running virtual machines and you don't want them to share a single physical NIC. You might, instead, want them to have their own physical nics.

Just leave the second one disconnected. Honestly, I'm surprised I see so many consumer grade motherboards with 2 NICs. It's just so rare in a home environment.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 14
I have 3 HTPCs that can access the server at the same time. In any case, the server board has this function and I'm using it. This is a BCM RX67Q made for commercial use. It doesn't have the dual NIC issue with intel boards and WHS2011.

From what I can see, when streaming, the HTPC doesn't exceed bandwidth of a N WiFi link, which is less than 300Mb. So even with 3 HTPCs, they will not exceed 1Gb bandwidth in my network.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

I have 3 HTPCs that can access the server at the same time. In any case, the server board has this function and I'm using it. This is a BCM RX67Q made for commercial use. It doesn't have the dual NIC issue with intel boards and WHS2011.
From what I can see, when streaming, the HTPC doesn't exceed bandwidth of a N WiFi link, which is less than 300Mb. So even with 3 HTPCs, they will not exceed 1Gb bandwidth in my network.
Nothing you are "streaming" from your server exceeds 50mbps. smile.gif That's the max bitrate for a bluray, everything else is lower.

File copy is a different issue, but streaming...you'll be fine with a gigabit connection for up to 15 clients, if not more.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The real answer: so the marketing people have a bullet point to check off

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #10 of 20 Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Dual Lans are a marketing gimmick for HTPC

That said, I am experimenting with LACP between the server and switch and in between the switches to reduce network latency

My HDHomerun is very finicky and it uses the unreliable datagram protocol to send video to the server running the PVR. it starts tossing frames when there is the slightest hint of congestion. Lately it became worse as my Macs got more aggressive with the timemachine backups, this caused occasional spikes in network latency because of backup traffic. LACP aggregated between the switches and the server seems to help, the frame drops have disappeared. I might make this permanent.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have dual NICs on my EVGA motherboard in my HTPC. One goes to the House VLAN on my "core" switch, the other is connected to a small VLAN for my HDHomerun. Probably overkill but does work well.

-- Jim
post #12 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If be interested in a direct link from my workstation to my server that's fast for copy paste of movie folders.

Both machines gave dual LAN and each one intel.

Worth the trouble ? My drives write and read around 130mb speeds but my network always seems 90mb about.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

I have dual NICs on my EVGA motherboard in my HTPC. One goes to the House VLAN on my "core" switch, the other is connected to a small VLAN for my HDHomerun. Probably overkill but does work well.
Yup, I like to isolate the HDHomeRun traffic to the server as well since none of my client machines require direct access to them. Otherwise watching live TV on a client would result in double network traffic (HDHR -> server and server -> client). I run a separate switch for them instead of VLANs though.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

vladd did you ever test Sata2 vs sata 3 SSD raid ?

-

post #15 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Not yet. Since Thanksgiving, I pretty much blew my Christmas budget on the wife and kids and had to dip into my electronics budget. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to get new equiptment after the New Year though.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If be interested in a direct link from my workstation to my server that's fast for copy paste of movie folders.
Both machines gave dual LAN and each one intel.
Worth the trouble ? My drives write and read around 130mb speeds but my network always seems 90mb about.

The easiest thing to do is to turn on 9K Jumbo frames on the client and server, it gives me 125MBytes/s on my setup read/write to any client.

If you have already done so, your server software may be holding you back. I suggest you consider Win8 server and Win8 for your workstation, Microsoft improved their SMB file sharing protocol to support native aggregation of LAN links and remote DMA. The former can increase your thruput on multi NICs and the latter halves the network latency, your NIC and client must suport it. Win8 is still pretty new, there are a couple of bumps with it as a HTPC.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nope I have not adjusted anything ... I'll do a google search and check it out. Thanks.

-

post #18 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

The easiest thing to do is to turn on 9K Jumbo frames on the client and server, it gives me 125MBytes/s on my setup read/write to any client.
If you have already done so, your server software may be holding you back. I suggest you consider Win8 server and Win8 for your workstation, Microsoft improved their SMB file sharing protocol to support native aggregation of LAN links and remote DMA. The former can increase your thruput on multi NICs and the latter halves the network latency, your NIC and client must suport it. Win8 is still pretty new, there are a couple of bumps with it as a HTPC.

I have WHS2011 and Windows7 x64 PRO.

What should I expect. The run of cable between them is only 6 feet. I have an Asus Gigabit Switch connecting them .

-

post #19 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have WHS2011 and Windows7 x64 PRO.
What should I expect. The run of cable between them is only 6 feet. I have an Asus Gigabit Switch connecting them .

If it SSD->SSD you should see 125Mbytes/s which is the Max for GigE if you have a decent nic.

The numbers I mentioned earlier was from my i7950/W7Pro64bit coming off a 2TB Caviar Black to/from my ZFS box
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
For a server: Either improved performance or improved reliability
For a HTPC: Essentially useless, but it does improve reliability

Besides, you won't have to get a PCI-E NIC or a new motherboard if the NIC you're using dies.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page