Trinity or Ivy Bridge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife bought me a Habey mini-ITX (EMC-600B) case for Christmas and now I get a free pass to build myself a new computer! I've been wanting an HTPC since my Xbox started to bite the dust. My main use will be XBMC, but I definitely want to play games as well. When I first envisioned this machine I was gung ho on the AMD Trinity platform. But I ended up talking myself into an Ivy Bridge setup. Either way I planned on buying a larger power supply. Now that it's time to write a check I'm noticing that Trinity price tag again and having second thoughts. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate or anything. I just want to get the best all around system for my dollar.

I don't think any modern hardware will have any problems with XBMC so I think it all comes down to the gaming side. I hate first person shooters so I don't need bleeding edge capabilities. In fact, the Humble Bundles are my main source of computer games and I think those are somewhat easy on the requirements for the most part. But I'd love to play The Witcher series that I grabbed from GoG. Can the experienced crew here at AVS convince me which platform to build on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
If you are not going to use a discrete video card I would go with an a10-5700. It is 65w and has a good video card built in . If you are going to use a card I would go Intel for the superior cpu side. If you do use the AMD and no video card get the fastest ram you can afford.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post. This will definitely be an integrated video setup. I couldn't imagine trying to get a video card of any kind into that tiny case. The memory will be 8GB of the fastest supported RAM and probably an 840 SSD. It sounds like I have one vote for AMD so far...
post #4 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyolen View Post

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post. This will definitely be an integrated video setup. I couldn't imagine trying to get a video card of any kind into that tiny case. The memory will be 8GB of the fastest supported RAM and probably an 840 SSD. It sounds like I have one vote for AMD so far...

LOL now that I Googled that case I can see how a discrete video card would be impossible. Should be a fun build, good luck.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Yes, they are both more than adequate for HTPC. Trinity does the 23.xxx frame rate thing a better by default. If you plan on doing gaming like you mentioned Trinity is the better option, stay with the 65W version.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Trinity GPU is a lot better than Intel GPU, not only in gaming but also video playback, even cheap A6-5400K is better than Core i3-3225. For example,

- You can choose full RGB as well as limited RGB with AMD, while you can use only limited RGB with Intel.
- AMD's 23.976Hz is much more precise than Intel's.
- Intel GPU is not supported properly by XBMC (you will use CPU exclusively at video playback).
- Even A6-5400K, $75, is better than i3-3225, $145, for madVR. (A6-5400K supports BR 3D, BTW.)
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Trinity GPU is a lot better than Intel GPU, not only in gaming but also video playback, even cheap A6-5400K is better than Core i3-3225. For example,
- You can choose full RGB as well as limited RGB with AMD, while you can use only limited RGB with Intel.
- AMD's 23.976Hz is much more precise than Intel's.
- Intel GPU is not supported properly by XBMC (you will use CPU exclusively at video playback).
- Even A6-5400K, $75, is better than i3-3225, $145, for madVR. (A6-5400K supports BR 3D, BTW.)

I am thinking about Intel 3225 for my new HTPC because I want also online transcoding feature. Is AMD A6-5400 or A10-5700 better than i3-3225 also for my needs?

What is advantage of this feature "You can choose full RGB as well as limited RGB with AMD, while you can use only limited RGB with Intel.") in real usage?

Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVhifi View Post

I am thinking about Intel 3225 for my new HTPC because I want also online transcoding feature. Is AMD A6-5400 or A10-5700 better than i3-3225 also for my needs?
What is advantage of this feature "You can choose full RGB as well as limited RGB with AMD, while you can use only limited RGB with Intel.") in real usage?
Thanks for your help.

I would think the quad core could at least match the core i3 for transcoding, don't know for sure. Personally I think this type of stuff is best done on your desktop.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

I would think the quad core could at least match the core i3 for transcoding, don't know for sure. Personally I think this type of stuff is best done on your desktop.
FWIW using a Quick Sync enabled encoder such as the one from Mirillis really holds its own using the HD4000 graphics of the 3225. I base this on a non-scientific 'race' between my i3-3225 running Splash PRO EX and my i7-2600 running HandBrake. The i3 won.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVhifi View Post

Thanks for your help.
What's *online* transcoding? You mean transcoding "on the fly" = real-time? A10 is faster than i3-3225 in x264 (so non real-time) encoding and fast enough for real-time encoding. Intel's QuickSync is good for encoding, e.g. for mobile devices, but...

If you care about best PQ, full RGB is recommended.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

What's *online* transcoding? You mean transcoding "on the fly" = real-time? A10 is faster than i3-3225 in x264 (so non real-time) encoding and fast enough for real-time encoding. Intel's QuickSync is good for encoding, e.g. for mobile devices, but...
If you care about best PQ, full RGB is recommended.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, I mean "on the fly" = real-time transcoding. I need transcoding of content from NAS and live TV content for streaming via internet to my laptop or tablet (something like slingbox). Is A10-5700 good enough for it or will I need something from intel with QuickSync feature?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page