Best HTPC case today with design of AV component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is best HTPC case today with design of AV component by your opinion?

I am choosing between Fractal Design Node 605 and Silverstone GD04B. I like design of Node 605 very much, but by this review http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3505/7/f...production is Fractal Design Node 605 much more noiser than Silverstone GD04... It is very surprising for me, because I think that Node 605 is very quiet thanks to dampening material on top cover. Quiet case is one of my top requirements for cases and by this review is old Silverstone GD 04 much better variant for me although I prefer design of Node 605...

Do you think, that this review is credible enough, because I still cannot believe that case with dampening on top cover (Fractal Design Node 605) has worst results than simple case (Silverstone GD 04)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 AM

Liked: 12
Go for the biggest case you can accommodate in your cabinet because big case = low noise. It means you can have larger slow runningcase fans and cable management is easier to help avoid restricting air flow. You can damp the case as much as you want but in the end air flow noise will prevail. You can't damp the ventilation slots! I started off with a Moneual 320 because of the allure of building something small as practically possible but quickly realised the error of my ways and bought a OrigenAE S16V. I was then able to fit a passive/active cooled MSI GTX 650Ti which easily runs MadVR and the fan rarely goes above 900rpm regardless of the material I throw at it. The extra room allows for a large Scythe Shuriken CPU fan which also runs super quiet because it is never taxed.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had a number over the years and agree with Heuer, get the biggest one you can. After that, it's all up to personal preference.

There are two factors that contribute to noise. The fans and case rattle. The fans can be replaced, but case rattle can be difficult to fix. That is dependent on factors such as fit that are difficult to correct.

BTW, I have the GD04, and it is essentially silent. I'm sitting eight feet away from it as I type this, with no other noise sources and I can't hear it. It is a very sturdy steel case. The only problem is it's rather silly arrangement for the hard drives. I pulled the bracket out and stuffed in a CFP53 drive cage behind the PSU to give me 3.5"x3 drives. I also had an LC17 at one point and it was an excellent case as well. It serves to this day in my Brother-in-law's system. I had a Moneual 312B before the GD04. It was okay, but I needed more storage and wanted a case that matched my MD-209 Receiver better cosmetically. I had another Silverstone case, the number escapes me, that had the motherboard mounted upside down! Stll a good case.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
My problem with the 605 is no IR receiver window. You'd have to hide an external IR recever somewhere which might not be easy if you're going for clean and simple.

I like the GD04 as long as that's a door to hide the ODD behind and it's not some plate you remove that leaves the ODD exposed. Nothing screams "I'm a PC!" like an exposed ODD. I'd have to remove that giant Silverstone logo. What does the GD04 look like with the ODD installed?

One of my favorites is the Lian-Li PC-C50B.

post #5 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I highly suggest a full height case with enough room for cooling and heft for vibration dampening. It keeps you from having to limit your choices to mini-ATX mobos and half-height video cards in the future.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

My problem with the 605 is no IR receiver window. You'd have to hide an external IR recever somewhere which might not be easy if you're going for clean and simple.
I like the GD04 as long as that's a door to hide the ODD behind and it's not some plate you remove that leaves the ODD exposed. Nothing screams "I'm a PC!" like an exposed ODD. I'd have to remove that giant Silverstone logo. What does the GD04 look like with the ODD installed?
One of my favorites is the Lian-Li PC-C50B.

I think that GD04 also do not have IR receiver window, or am I wrong?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVhifi View Post

I have the GD04 and just drilled a hole in the front and added an internal one.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Morex 887. I am planning a new computer around it. Must use an intel DH61AG motherboard.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #9 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Morex 887. I am planning a new computer around it. Must use an intel DH61AG motherboard.

I have not been able to find this case for sale without a PC already built into it. I contacted Morex and they responded until I told them I was looking for a small batch of them.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM

I have the GD05 and I LOVE it. VERY quiet and plenty of room. I have my internal fans turned down along with CPU fan with no problem, plus it looks good with my other stuff. It does not have an IR receiver, but you can just get an external one, or make ur own internal. I prefer the external since I can point my remote anywhere and it will read it. BTW my case has 3 hard drives with an optical, and I replaced the optical drive door with a solid black door for a really clean look. And if I'm correct the GD04 is a slim drive optical only. So that was a killer for me.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVhifi View Post

Like Fanta,

I just drilled a Hole in mine using a metal drill bit, took all of 10 minutes. I used an Intest CIR receiver that plugged right into my intel mobo.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I have not been able to find this case for sale without a PC already built into it. I contacted Morex and they responded until I told them I was looking for a small batch of them.

Mitxpc carries a lot of Morex. They probably can get one for you if you ask them.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM

The GD04 has a plate that you affix to the front of the optical drive.

I use an RF keyboard, so no need to drill smile.gif
post #14 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Silverstone sells this alternative case now for the DH61AG. The only problem I see with both these cases is the lack of an I/O bracket slot on the back. it makes it difficult to add a PCIe tuner card. The Silverstone gives you more options as to the type of OOD you can use as it has a standard mount cut out instead of a slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Mini-ITX-Center-DH61AG-PT12B/dp/B009FU2B5S
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I like that this case has a built in IR receiver and usb on the front. Those two are important for me to use a standard remote and a Lenovo keypad.

I really really want to make it work - its just getting more expensive as I plan it thinking of all the new things I'll need. I love that my current pc has an FM tuner. I was thinking I could use a notebook style mini pcie tuner and drill a hole on the back for it. I would also need digital audio out, since my receiver doesnt support hdmi. I think that would be pretty easy to accomplish with the spdif header and some soldering.

Still trying to figure out if this is right for me. My core 2 duo pc and three USB hard drives are making too much noise and using too much electricity. I will need to move to some kind of NAS solution along with this new pc.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page