Boxing Day Plunder and a question regarding the cases I bought and advice on PSU and a few other questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Whew lined up at 5:30 am...... sales were okay but nothing amazing. Have a few mail in rebates....what a pain.

Okay bought almost enough stuff to make two computers

It would be appreciated if you could please take a look below. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Computer #1 HTPC, Blu Ray, 3D, light gamimg,, blu ray ripping, Netflix, eventual front end for my home theatre (server still to come), sharing of media on externals hooked to a laptop

Case: SilverStone GD06
-chose for looks, low profile, fits on my shelf with other components mind you this is 6" tall and the slot in shelf is 9"

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP
-chosen as it was on sale.... overclocking and what not are not of interest but nice for the future I suppose. Wasn't a H77 with a competitive price

CPU: i5-3570
-more powerful than I needed but it was about $30 more than the i3s so I decided to err on the side of power

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80
-Radiator is 120 mm x 152mm x 38 mm
-Fan is 120 x 120 x 25

QUESTION will this fit in the Silverstone (440mm Width x 150 mm height x 340 mm deep)? If not I can exchange it for a cheaper case.... kinda fond of the case below to be honest

SSD: Samsung 840 series 256 GB
-biggest drive at $160

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4 gb 1600 CL8

Hard Drive: 2 TB WD Green

PSU: Seasonic X400 fanless

QUESTION: Should I exchange this for a cheaper fanned psu since I bought this psu before choosing a cpu that was going to need cooling? Or is the lack of noise of the fanless still worth it?

Optical Drive: LG BH14 14x blu ray writer

Computer #2 Bedroom HTPC.... needs toslink audio to output to logitech 5.1 system, blu ray output (NO 3D necessary), netflix, sharing of movies and music from a laptop wtih externals

Case: Cool Master Elite 120 advance
-I liked the cubish shape and small size (9.4 inches wide x 8.2 inches high x 15.8 inches deep or 240mm x 207 mm x 401 mm)

Mobo: same as above.... reason needed toslink output of audio

CPU: to be determined store had G645 for $65 half the price of the i3s
QUESTION: I assume this is enough?

CPU cooler: OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS would a scythe shuriken be enough?

SSD: A DATA SX900 128 GB

Ram: G skill 2 x4 GB 1600 CL9

Hard Drive: Do I need an extra hard drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
If your not overclocking the stock intel CPU cooler should be ok... you don't need aftermarket unless you need a special fit or extra cooling.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page