HDD Drive choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I know previously people say go with the cheapest hard drives on the day as they are all the same. I have 2 Samsung F4 which i was comfortable buying but all the new drives seems like a crapshoot.
I have lost 2 drives in the recent past. 1 was a WD Black, which seems to be losing connection or data. RMA's and replaced The other was my fault, a spinning Seagate out of the external enclosure which i dropped onto a carpeted floor. Clicking and vibration followed. I probably should not even count this as a lost hdd :P

Just picked up, but not opened, 2 3TB WD My Booked Essentials hard drives to rip open and add to the htpc/server. These cost $119 each.

I just saw these online as well: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB for $119 and the Western Digital Red 3TB SATA3 64MB for $139.

Which would you guys go for?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Newegg has the 3TB seagate for $15 off I think... Get that.

Fastest of the bunch. Good track record. On par with energy consumption.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a 3Tb green and it uses about the same power at the Seagates but it is way slower when it fills up.

New they read about 100MB sec and near full they drop down to 40-60MB. I have same size and also full Seagate that reads 110MB... or double the Green speed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks. was reading about your wd green woes just now. i read somewhere to use a tool to turn off intellipark on the greens to prevent parking after 8 seconds on short idles.

the seagate 3tb seemed better, but also reading about chirping issues.

geez this stuff never ends lol. i guess jump off and hang on. deal with it if something goes wrong. kinda my philosophy when i started skydiving back in college. lol

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I hate to be so negative on the GREEN line because I think they are ok for general use. But they are dated in design and it's not 2010/2011 anymore. They really don'y have a power saving advantage I see over RED or even more modern designed HDD's. That was originally the benefit two years ago but many others have caught up in this area. Noise also. I think modern HDD's are much quieter than just a couple years ago. Warranty is a disadvantage for WD GREEN too. Shrinking the warranty on green and providing a longer warranty on a RED drives just suggests to me a long term reliability disparity. If it did not save them money then why do it ? If they know the greens would last at the same failure rate and long term use- then why not hold this advantage over Hitachi or Seagate or Samsung ?

A newer/better RED drive uses less power than a Green Drive. It performs better too. And- It has a longer warranty. It might be -$15 more expensive on average street prices daily but if catch a deal they are often the same prices. RED does not have the intellipark feature for headparking- and it is recommended for 24/7 use. I just don't see much value in GREEN drives today. I think many storage solutions today are based off servers and NAS boxes- for which RED and others make much more sense over a green drive IMO. But- Green holds a nice niche as a solid choice for in PC basic storage. So inside a HTPC or a simple desktop it makes sense. That was always it's original intended purpose. The consumer habits and applications have changed since then and that is why you see RED's and more appropriate drives recommended for RAID, NAS BOXES and servers.

Originally GREEN were available for a great price- and they were on a good trend of HDD's to be more efficient, cooler, quiter. Today they have lost much advantage in cool/quiet/energy since competition has improved in these areas. Greens are also not seen for great prices anymore. A great deal is the only reason I would see for buying a green drive today. If it's cheaper it's probably a solid move to snatch one and use it. If it's not cheaper- I would look for a cheaper drive or a better drive model for the same price.

Seagate 3TB's are the cheaper alternative. They are pretty solid performers, not terrible in energy/noise/heat and have a decent track record. It's a more modern HDD design. Pretty much any 3TB drive is the more modern design FYI. Smaller drives you would need to research more.

Green is not that bad- but there is some suspect reliability issues that may or may not be significant or true. I've personally had bad luck but I am open to the idea I might just be a personal experience that is not indicative of the general population.

I'd buy a green for less $- but I'd buy a RED or a Seagate for the same $$$.

Here is a good comparision:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2012/-26-Power-Requirement-at-Idle,2917.html

-

post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks again. i think i will feel better with seagate. these externals will go back.

and yes, i have read that greens have worked great for others with no issues. its been a very long time, but i have gone through all the brands too, many not in production.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same decision to make during Black Friday. The 3TB Seagates were on sale for $89 versus the WD reds for $149. Based on my research, I bought four Seagate 3TB drives to build a FlexRaid storage system. Even at the normal retail prices, I would still go with the Seagate drives.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page