Thinking about adding XBMC to my HTPC. - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Thinking about adding XBMC to my HTPC.

Home Theater Computers

hanly2's Avatar hanly2
11:28 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
12-27-2012 | Posts: 348
I just read a article on a site about xbmc now streaming content from a lot of site that I usually download it from. I currently use WMC on my htpc with media browser and for live tv with my prime and my xbox is also connected as a extender. I know that the xbox will not work but I can still use xbmc for the main theater room where the htpc is stored. My question is if I download and install xbmc will if effect anything that I already have working? I don't want to go breaking it and get yelled at by the wife and kids because tv isn't working or something. Let me know what the deal is, who is doing it and how it's working out. I was thinking about getting a netflix account but with this and my amazon prime video, I should be covered.
hanly2's Avatar hanly2
04:31 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 4
12-28-2012 | Posts: 348
Really no one has tried or is running xbmc and wmc?
Tong Chia's Avatar Tong Chia
04:49 PM Liked: 16
post #3 of 4
12-28-2012 | Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

I just read a article on a site about xbmc now streaming content from a lot of site that I usually download it from. I currently use WMC on my htpc with media browser and for live tv with my prime and my xbox is also connected as a extender. I know that the xbox will not work but I can still use xbmc for the main theater room where the htpc is stored. My question is if I download and install xbmc will if effect anything that I already have working? I don't want to go breaking it and get yelled at by the wife and kids because tv isn't working or something. Let me know what the deal is, who is doing it and how it's working out. I was thinking about getting a netflix account but with this and my amazon prime video, I should be covered.

It will not break anything, just make sure they don't launch XBMC by mistake.

XBMC uses plugins you can load from inside of XBMC .

Here is an example of a plugin for Netflix.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Flicks_-_Netflix_for_XBMC

I have not used this particular one, so take this as a means to get things rolling on researching your best needs.
kapone's Avatar kapone
05:45 PM Liked: 128
post #4 of 4
12-28-2012 | Posts: 4,437
I run both, but I use XBMC pretty much for it's Airplay target functionality (beats buying an Apple TV. smile.gif ). Everything else is WMC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread