hauppauge 1950 No Analog Channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Comcast basic cable and I'm trying to get my TV tuner to work properly. All the digital QAM channels come in fine but all the analog channels are static. I have tried WMC, win tv 7, and nPVR and all are not tuning any analog channels. I have replaced the 1950 tuner thinking the analog portion was bad but the replacement has the same results. I have the latest drivers (WinTV-HVR-1950 driver version 29010) and have tried to setup manually in windows media center. What am I missing? I was under the impression that I only needed a cable card reader box if I wanted access to HBO and other pay channels. I'm not using a set top box its plugged directly into cable from the wall. My operating system is Windows 7 64bit. Any help getting my analog channels would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Comcast in my area does not have any analog channels. You need a converter box for any non-digital TV. The lower (2-digit) numbers are standard def, but they are sent digitally over the cable.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

So, the problem is I need a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Digital CableCARD Receiver instead of the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 Hybrid TV Box? Damn, I was under the impression that the 1950 would pick up all channels except for pay channels like HBO.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

So should my 1950 pick up the standard def channels or do I need a different tuner? All I can pick up is qam channels
post #5 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Should Hauppauge 1950 be able to pick up slandered definition channels (channel 2,3,4,...) or do I need to get a cable card reader to do this?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes the tuner can pick up the analog channels however I never saw you list your area so I don't know if comcast has any analog in your area. If you plug in an old cable ready analog tv do you see any channels (you could try a digital tv that also supports ntsc but you may mistake some clear qam channels as analog) .

Comcast is one of the first to try and go all digital but it depends on the area, some have none, some have 2-13 (or 18), and some have 2-76 (or any other number up to 99)... I read recently that by April 1st they will be all digital nationwide and soon will also be encrypting the clear qam stations, including the locals so it would probably be best to get a cable card tuner. Right now I think the best deal is the SD HomeRun Prime with 3 tuners (I've seen some mistake the dual for the prime when ordering so be careful as that isn't cable card but does offer atsc tuning) as it can be got for $130 from amazon or newegg (I think this promotion ends tomorrow but its been around in the past)... A Hauppauge version of it that connects by USB rather than network with one less tuner is around $100 but I personally favor the ceton infinitv with 4 tuners.

I doubt this is your problem with the 1950 but my 5 or so year old hauppauge tuners (pvr-150, hvr-1600s, and a couple of others), recently lost their ability to tune my analog cable channels, I may get a snowy picture but usually nothing, tried new cable and checked if connections came loose, other computers, etc. However, the digital tuners (where applicable) in them still work as well as the analog rca or svid inputs, so I hooked up an old vcr to act as the analog tuner.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the guidance SIgncarver. I believe your right. I was mistaking the 2-99 channels for analog when they are standard def digital. Still not sure why the 1950 doesn't pick up standard def digital channels but I must need a cable card tuner. Maybe they are encrypted already here? I live just outside of Denver. 80026. I will be shopping for a cable card reader now.... Wish I didn't throw away the box to the 1950 tuner... Oh well, Thanks again for the informative reply, Happy New Years!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page