Is Blu-Ray Still Problematic, and If So, Why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This month I thought I'd give BR another try, so I turned BR back on for my Netflix subscription, and upgraded my software to the latest version. In the past I've avoided it because too many discs simply wouldn't play.

I was a bit concerned when the BR discs still had warnings on them about possibly needing to upgrade your player to play the disc, but the first four discs played just fine. Then came the fifth. The first two promos played, but then it quit at that point.

Very frustrating to have 0x0 resolution when you're looking to play a movie, so I turned off BR again on my Netflix subscription. Why does this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I don't have any problems playing any bluray discs? Which player software suite are you using?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PowerDVD 12, and the disc was Dark Knight Rises.

In the past, checking for updates would sometimes allow the disc to be played. It would depend on how old the disc was.
post #4 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

What error are you getting after the promos? Is the software just freezing? I can't speak for Power DVD but Arcsoft 5 played that movie just fine.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #5 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No error. It just quits and goes back to the main PowerDVD screen.

I assume this isn't just a problem for me. If it was, then those warnings about needing to update your player wouldn't exist at the beginning of every BR disc.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The problem is content protection, HDCP and PAP. Blu ray includes various schemes to block unauthorized use of their movie. These schemes are often cracked so the protections are constantly being changed. PowerDVD sometimes does not keep up with their updates and a disc may be unplayable. This week I played the Dark Knight Rising disc but I used MPC-HC as the player with Slysoft Any DVD doing the decryption.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I always have AnyDVD running on my PC, actually helps get rid of some issues when using TMT

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #8 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

The problem is content protection, HDCP and PAP. Blu ray includes various schemes to block unauthorized use of their movie. These schemes are often cracked so the protections are constantly being changed. PowerDVD sometimes does not keep up with their updates and a disc may be unplayable. This week I played the Dark Knight Rising disc but I used MPC-HC as the player with Slysoft Any DVD doing the decryption.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll just go back to DVD. If and when they come up with an actual standard I might try it again.
post #9 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a standard, they just continue to add new protection schemes to discs that may require you to download keys for.

FWIW, I haven't updated anything on my Panasonic bluray player in at least 18 months and it continues playing newer discs like Homeland and The Dark Knight Rises.

I think you're having a different kind of problem. Is your PowerDVD software set to look for updates? It should be loading them automatically and they should be few and far between. I think something else is causing your problems other than AACS keys.

My HTPC front end set up
post #10 of 35 Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just get a standalone BR player. Cheaper and less headaches...if you just wanna watch a rental disc.
pirspilane likes this.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #11 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Just get a standalone BR player. Cheaper and less headaches...if you just wanna watch a rental disc.

Or just invest in AnyDVD HD, its essential IMO for disc playback, it will get rid of any protection problems that PowerDVD has problems with , it has a Speedmenu option to remove all menus/trailers/warnings and get you straight into the movie on any disc.
It will enable any region BD playback if you import at all, and it enables you to use other freeware software players if needed.

There is no standalone player can play back discs from any region and get you straight to the movie in a few seconds (That I know of anyway)
post #12 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

Or just invest in AnyDVD HD, its essential IMO for disc playback, it will get rid of any protection problems that PowerDVD has problems with , it has a Speedmenu option to remove all menus/trailers/warnings and get you straight into the movie on any disc.
It will enable any region BD playback if you import at all, and it enables you to use other freeware software players if needed.
There is no standalone player can play back discs from any region and get you straight to the movie in a few seconds (That I know of anyway)

This. I consider AnyDVDHD (or makemkv for that matter) mandatory for PC BR use, with either MPC or a retail player like TMT. The ability to skip the crapware makes the PC platform noticeably superior to standalone players in that regard. If you play foreign media, that's another reason.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

AnyDVD HD is great, solves lots of problems, and I love Speedmenu, but it seems I keep getting more Cinavia protected Blurays (mostly rented from Netflix). I try to check online to see if it's protected and exit AnyDVD HD if it is, but its very annoying to get 15 minutes into a movie before you get the dreaded Cinavia popup in TMT5. I need to start watching my disks in MPC-HC or in my PS3. Cinavia is making TMT5 useless for me.

I've seen some cases where TMT5 won't play a disk unless AnyDVD HD is running, and I'm stuck if the disk has Cinavia.

Tim
acejh1987 likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

I would assume that would require that the player also have some access to the Internet at some point to get updates, because I assume those warnings at the beginning of every disc are intended for such players, not HTPCs. Not everyone has Internet access--my father for example.
post #15 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

AnyDVD HD is great, solves lots of problems, and I love Speedmenu, but it seems I keep getting more Cinavia protected Blurays (mostly rented from Netflix). I try to check online to see if it's protected and exit AnyDVD HD if it is, but its very annoying to get 15 minutes into a movie before you get the dreaded Cinavia popup in TMT5. I need to start watching my disks in MPC-HC or in my PS3. Cinavia is making TMT5 useless for me.
I've seen some cases where TMT5 won't play a disk unless AnyDVD HD is running, and I'm stuck if the disk has Cinavia.
Tim

Yes, Cinavia is a pain. Thats why AnyDVD HD is even more essential as it lets you playback discs/rentals on non commercial software like MPC-HC.
If you are using AnyDVD and Speedmenu's then why not just use a version of TMT5 without Cinavia? No need to update TMT past 146 as AnyDVD will take care of the new protection and can remove any BD-J menus that cause problems.
post #16 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a standalone player which hasn't been updated in over a year. I keep it offline for various reasons(some discs use BD live to d/l mandatory trailers). I also rent Blu Rays. I have never had any problems playing any movie whatsoever.
post #17 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

I have a standalone player which hasn't been updated in over a year. I keep it offline for various reasons(some discs use BD live to d/l mandatory trailers). I also rent Blu Rays. I have never had any problems playing any movie whatsoever.

I have 2 year old BD playback software on an old test PC, combined with AnyDVD HD & Speedmenu's I have never had a disc I owned or rented it could not play, including various region B/C locked discs. It just loads the main movie in seconds, again no standalone can do this, IMO if you already have a HTPC, don't bother with anything else.
HTPC can be just as good at playing the actual discs as any standalone.
Would I recommend anyone who already uses a Standalone player to go out and buy a HTPC for strictly Blu-ray playback from the disc - No, but if you already have a HTPC there is no need to use a standalone again for anything.
post #18 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
woul dvdfab passkey provide the same decrypting function as anydvdhd? Also, is it possible to ripand/or play br discs without an internet connection? My understanding is that dvdfab requires one. not sure about makemkv or the others.
post #19 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

woul dvdfab passkey provide the same decrypting function as anydvdhd? Also, is it possible to ripand/or play br discs without an internet connection? My understanding is that dvdfab requires one. not sure about makemkv or the others.

I haven't tried passkey, but it should be similar to AnyDVD HD in features.
You don't need an internet connection with AnyDVD, unless you have a disc that isn't in the local database (some new releases may not be)
MakeMKV does not require an internet connection either.
post #20 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Before I set up a HTPC four years ago I bought a PS3 which I still have and seem to only use on the rare occasions a blu-ray will not play on the HTPC, (Or when the HTPC is being repaired.) I can remember only one instance when a rental blu-ray was blocked from playing on both the PS3 and the HTPC running PowerDVD or MPC-HC combined with AnyDVD. I often try to get blu-ray disks on the first day they are available. That can make me vulnerable to encryption problems that are not resolved. However, blu-ray discs that will not play with one of the methods I have are very rare, I would estimate less than .5%
post #21 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Yes, its definitely rare, and getting rarer as new solutions/features become available, HTPC seems to have picked up a bad reputation on BD playback (From the disc) and people look at HTPC's as only been good for playing back TB's of ripped content, and it gets overlooked on how good a HTPC can be for disc playback too.
I too have a PS3 and Panasonic Standalone, I haven't used either to watch a full movie for a while.
post #22 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Is mpchc with anydvdhd preferred over tmt for the playback of br discs directly? And is there any difference in audio or video quality between playing a disc and playing a ripped copy from a hd?
post #23 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Is mpchc with anydvdhd preferred over tmt for the playback of br discs directly? And is there any difference in audio or video quality between playing a disc and playing a ripped copy from a hd?

Both MPC-HC and TMT combined with AnyDVD are pretty much equal for playing directly from the disc, TMT advantage being it can play menus/extras and 3D, MPC advantage is its free.
There would be no quality difference in playing ripped content made by AnyDVD or MakeMKV to playing directly from the disc, audio/video is exactly the same.
If you have the HDD space and just want the main movie, ripping MakeMKV would be the best solution as its free (Doesn't need AnyDVD) and leaves the video/audio untouched.
post #24 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Both MPC-HC and TMT combined with AnyDVD are pretty much equal for playing directly from the disc, TMT advantage being it can play menus/extras and 3D, MPC advantage is its free.
There would be no quality difference in playing ripped content made by AnyDVD or MakeMKV to playing directly from the disc, audio/video is exactly the same.
If you have the HDD space and just want the main movie, ripping MakeMKV would be the best solution as its free (Doesn't need AnyDVD) and leaves the video/audio untouched.
thanks. i will try the makemkv trial - will I receive lossless audio when played with mpc with the lav filters, and will mpc play mkvs without any additional steps?
post #25 of 35 Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

thanks. i will try the makemkv trial - will I receive lossless audio when played with mpc with the lav filters, and will mpc play mkvs without any additional steps?

Yes, if you have a compatible video card/receiver and MPC/LAV setup correctly, MKV's will playback perfectly with lossless audio.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I missed the significance of the reference to Passkey earlier. I'm going to give it a try.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

This month I thought I'd give BR another try, so I turned BR back on for my Netflix subscription, and upgraded my software to the latest version. In the past I've avoided it because too many discs simply wouldn't play.
I was a bit concerned when the BR discs still had warnings on them about possibly needing to upgrade your player to play the disc, but the first four discs played just fine. Then came the fifth. The first two promos played, but then it quit at that point.
Very frustrating to have 0x0 resolution when you're looking to play a movie, so I turned off BR again on my Netflix subscription. Why does this happen?

Having read about issues and needing to buy software to play disks, I never bothered with blu-ray. But in my new media PC, I finally installed a blu-ray player, mainly because it fit the budget on sale. I am using VLC Player with some key files, which is an open source free player.

So far I am 1 for 2 playing blu-ray disks. "Lord Of The Rings" plays fine using VLC player and looks real nice on my budget 720p LED projector. But "Sound Of Music" I got for my wife for Christmas does not play. frown.gif Error related to the keys and it is BD+, which I read can be a problem. Not happy that the movie I paid for will not play. Screw the industry and their DRM. Like other legitimate owners in terms of having bought a movie, I will find a way to break the DRM, just haven't got around to it yet. Also I will likely not bother paying for more blu-ray disks if they require messing around to play.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Having read about issues and needing to buy software to play disks, I never bothered with blu-ray. But in my new media PC, I finally installed a blu-ray player, mainly because it fit the budget on sale. I am using VLC Player with some key files, which is an open source free player.
So far I am 1 for 2 playing blu-ray disks. "Lord Of The Rings" plays fine using VLC player and looks real nice on my budget 720p LED projector. But "Sound Of Music" I got for my wife for Christmas does not play. frown.gif Error related to the keys and it is BD+, which I read can be a problem. Not happy that the movie I paid for will not play. Screw the industry and their DRM. Like other legitimate owners in terms of having bought a movie, I will find a way to break the DRM, just haven't got around to it yet

It will be hit and miss using VLC and libaacs.
You can try DVDFab Passkey Lite, and see if that helps.
If not you will have to buy either a commercial software player, or a 3rd party program to remove the protection.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
BR disks will always have that update notice because the studios will forever be introducing new encryption schemes. and because the BR standard allows them to do that is one of the main reasons the studios favored it over HD-DVD.
pirspilane likes this.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, if you have a compatible video card/receiver and MPC/LAV setup correctly, MKV's will playback perfectly with lossless audio.
MKVs are not playing on mpc hc - Do I need to do install anything other than mpc itself? Also, if I check lossless audio on the mkv rip will mpc with the lav filters installed decode the audio? I am not using a receiver - soundcard directly to amps. thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page