Add a CCTV security system as a channel in Windows Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I am soon to be adding a CCTV security system. This one to be exact:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=887164

What I want to do is take the output of the system and make it a channel that I can tune on my WMC from any TV in the house. Here is my WMC "server" setup:
Athena Power RM-2U2022S47 2U chassis with 470 Watt PowerSupply
ASUS P8Z77-M Pro Mother Board
Intel Core i5-3570K
2 Western Digital Red 3TB Drives
LG Blu-Ray Drive
16 GB Crucial RAM
Intel Gigabit NIC
2 Ceton Infini TV 4 Pci-E cards

I then have Ceton Echo's throughout the house for viewing TV.

Now the CCTV can output HDMI. So if I got an HDMI capture card added to my server, could I capture the HDMI signal and create a channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Just a suggestion: It might be easier for you to add a DVR PCIe Card to your system, which will accept the analog signal from the Cameras and convert to a digital
signal on your computer. An example is the Geovision 800 series (and there are a bunch of cheaper versions) I just know the Geovision works well with Win 7 64 bit.
You dedicate a spinner drive to store the data from the DVR board, and don't need the stand alone DVR in your link.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV800B.asp

I'm not familiar with Cetons and how to convert the signal to a channel...
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 123
What you are asking for is not that easy (or cheap) to do. You have to somehow take the output of your CCTV system, modulate it into a QAM signal and multiplex into your cable system. Quite a few things to do.

Unless I'm way behind things, and there are easier ways to do this.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to keep the DVR functionality separate from my whole home media server. I just want to be able to view it as a channel in WMC.

Here's another thought.

There is a VGA out on the Swann DVR. I could get a VGA to composite cable adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2509&CAWELAID=1329459273&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNHfrsr_w7QCFcsWMgodeWwAOQ

Then get a cheap RF Modulator:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

Then all I would need to do is add an analog tuner card to my server, and WMC should see it and add the channels.

How does that theory sound? Any favorite analog tuners out there?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I could get a VGA to composite cable adapter

That won't work as you have no control over the VGA signal; it needs to be set to 480i for that adapter to work.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 AM

Liked: 19
I don't use WMC or a CCTV DVR so just throwing this out there...
Usually the CCTV DVR box is able to connect to the network so you can view the camera over the internet or on another PC on the network.
Could you set the CCTV DVR up on the network, and access it from WMC maybe?
It might not be possible, just a thought.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I screwed around a bit with accessing my VCR from inside Windows Media Center. To "capture" the video this is what you would have to do:

Set up a new tuner (your capture device) in WMC and tell it you are using an external set top box. You are going to need a microsoft IR receiver with IR blaster ports to set it up. You would have to trick WMC into thinking that your CCTV DVR is a cable box, and would then have to manipulate the guide and so forth to create your channel.

I was ultimately not able to do it with my VCR because I don't have the IR blasters that WMC requires to be able to control the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgertge View Post

I really want to keep the DVR functionality separate from my whole home media server. I just want to be able to view it as a channel in WMC.
Here's another thought.
There is a VGA out on the Swann DVR. I could get a VGA to composite cable adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2509&CAWELAID=1329459273&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNHfrsr_w7QCFcsWMgodeWwAOQ
Then get a cheap RF Modulator:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095
Then all I would need to do is add an analog tuner card to my server, and WMC should see it and add the channels.
How does that theory sound? Any favorite analog tuners out there?

I'm not an expert, but have tried to usemultiple analog cameras before..and gave up in frustration
I only have one that plugs intomy Avermedia Tuner and with the 170 degree FOV can watch weather,
Meteors...stuff like that

Let's try this. I'm assuming you don't already have the DVR system linked in the first post yet....

Download the Ispy freeware, follow the link to get the (mediaportal?) fownload fror Windows Media Center.
Go with WIRELESS IP cams. Amazon has the Foscam with PTZ,. The older version with PTZ is #64/cam
I can control the IR light on the Foscam, so it sits inside, looking out a window. If you can't turn the IR off
it blinds the camera at night. I then have a few IR illuminators mounted outside that are tripped by moving heat
sources.

All of your cameras will be visible on your computers. Personally ,I don't use the Media Center Plaugin as
I can access my cams using an Itouch, and Ispy also has an android plug in .

It's a KISS system...one I can set up to run with my limited skills.

EDIT: If you are concerned others can hack into your wireless signal, then use Power Over Ethernet (POE)
This has the Cam hardwired to your Router and gets the necessary power either from an injector or the
suitable router. Just be careful when buying cams that all take the same Voltage, usually 12V.

One other beauty of a POE system is that you can power your cams/router and recording computer with an APS
incase you really think a perp will cut your power before breaking in.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well I really want a stand alone CCTV system, because it will have all the features built in like motion detection recording, date/time stamping and searching. I just want to output that CCTV as a channel that can be tuned in windows media center so I can take a quick peek any time I want. I'm not even looking to control anything through WMC, just view.

So reading through all the comments, I'm thinking my best bet is to find a CCTV system that has composite out capabilities. Then get a cheap RF modulator to output on analog channel 3/4. Then have an analog TV tuner card in the windows media center PC to tune that channel.

That being said. What is a good quality/low cost analog TV tuner compatible with windows 7 media center?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I believe something like an Avermedia M780 (1 digital, 1 analog tuner) should suffice. They can be had cheap on fleabay.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page