Finally got an SSD.. clone HDD or fresh install? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently had a 2tb drive with a partion for the OS and other apps. I really only have the OS, itunes, and a few other very important programs (paid for) that I care about. I'm wondering if it would just be easier to do a fresh install on the SSD rather than trying to clone the partion, which I have never done before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM

A fresh install worked well for me. It just seems cleaner.

That being said, there are many who have had success using the clone method. Do some research and check out some of the clone step-by-step tutorials to see how comfortable you would be with using this method.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Always do a fresh clean install. Way less problems.
post #4 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If you have iTunes and bought DRMed music from the store, deauthorize the machine before blowing away the install. The other paid programs may need similar treatment, check to see none of the licenses lock the software to the particular windows install.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Are things currently working OK? Then go ahead and clone. Acronis does it well and if you have a SeaGate or WD drive is free.
post #6 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Are things currently working OK? Then go ahead and clone.

+1

No need to install everything again (it's different from upgrading OS or changing the system platform from, say, AMD to Intel). Some SSDs come with a migration utility for free (actually you may need to download it from the manufacturer's site). For example, all Intel SSDs (Acronis OEM) and all Samsung SSDs (Samsung's own).
post #7 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It is an intel 520 which comes with migration software. I'm a noob on this so didn't want to screw up the current hdd in anyway. I only have the os, iTunes but only one song on it. the rest of music is streaming for another pc on the network. I do have anydvd which I don't want to lose. Everything else I can dl again for free. This pc is strictly a htpc so it's really empty with the exception of media files. Very few progs. Just kind of wanted to see what others have done. Thanks for all the input guys.
post #8 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Attach SSD, install the Intel (= Acronis) migration utility and do migration. Detach the original HDD and see how it goes. If something is terribly wrong, remove SSD, attach the original HDD and reconsider the strategy.

As for DRMed contents, follow Tong Chia's suggestion. Some programs may need deactivation + reactivation. AnyDVD should work (otherwise register it again with the supplied key).
post #9 of 43 Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Intel is one of the better SSD's to clone to, software wise.

Clone the drive with the migration software
Install Intel ssd tool box
Go to Intel download page and download SSD alignment software
Rerun Windows Experience Index
Manually turn off Windows hibernation

post #10 of 43 Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

I've cloned both a desktops and a laptop with no problems. I format the drives using Partition Wizard which partitions them perfectly for alignment. I have used both Acronis and Norton Ghost for the image. Drives used were OCZ, SanDisk and Patriot.
post #11 of 43 Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What about migrating (data/apps) to a new SSD as well as moving from XP to Win 7 -- using "clone' route would duplicate the OS, wouldn't it? I'd be glad to start a new thread if you feel this is too far off-topic.
post #12 of 43 Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Most XP installs are x86 and the most common 7 install is x64. There is no upgrade path so you would need a clean install. So no need to clone. You could use windows migration wizard to save your documents and settings, but would need to re install all the programs.

If simply have no way to reinstall the programs, You could clone the XP install then upgrade that to Windows 7 x86.

post #13 of 43 Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

cleanest is always a fresh install. i have done both multiple times and you tend to have many fewer problems with that. that being said, if reinstalling everything could take days, do a clone and just make sure the partitions are set right.
post #14 of 43 Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I returned the 120 gb for a 180 gb. It only cost 30% more but the drive was 50% larger capacity. I think I'm going to go try the clone route. I'll just try and clone that partition of the hdd to the ssd. My only concern was possibly losing data.
post #15 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now I just have to look into ide and ahci settings. I don't know what they are right now smile.gif.
post #16 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would vote for cloning.

One mistake I made with Acronis is it did not leave enough free space on the recovery partition, so I get warning messages every once in a while that the disc is low on space.
post #17 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Another vote for the cloning. I just did this with an Intel 520 and it worked flawlessly.

...and good call on checking AHCI, NCQ is a critical feature for a DVR.
post #18 of 43 Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah so I looked in BIOS last night and my controller is set to ide not ahci like recommended for ssd. What's the next step without losing data? I am new to this kind of thing. I definitely can't losing the data on that drive. I have to look to be sure but it doesn't look like I can set up some ports with IDE and some with AHCI. Now I'm wondering if I'll have any issues with my BDD.
post #19 of 43 Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

Yeah so I looked in BIOS last night and my controller is set to ide not ahci like recommended for ssd. What's the next step without losing data? I am new to this kind of thing. I definitely can't losing the data on that drive. I have to look to be sure but it doesn't look like I can set up some ports with IDE and some with AHCI. Now I'm wondering if I'll have any issues with my BDD.
Well the first step in a situation where you definitely can't lose your data is to back it up. If it's just the data you can probably just use the Windows backup tools.
post #20 of 43 Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Well the first step in a situation where you definitely can't lose your data is to back it up. If it's just the data you can probably just use the Windows backup tools.

Yeah the hard part is it a a 90% full 2TB hdd.. Well I probably should just buy another any how. So I'll make a copy of the data and then mess with it. If all goes well then the waste of time was only copying 2tb of data.

If anyone here could provide a brief step by step about how I should deal with the controller switch I would appreciate it!
post #21 of 43 Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Been a while since I had to enable AHCI after OS installation but ...

Install the AHCI/SATA/Raid driver for your motherboard/controller (recommended in case Windows does not natively support your controller)
or
Change the following registry value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Start = 0

Reboot and enable AHCI mode in BIOS.
Let Windows install the drivers on next boot.
Reboot.

If it doesn't work you won't have access to your drive but the data will still be there, resetting BIOS to IDE will allow you to access the data again. I would say a backup is not necessary for this but I can't argue against a backup.

Best thing to do is clone to the new SSD, then enable AHCI once you boot from the SSD. The data/installation on your 2TB drive will not be touched that way.
post #22 of 43 Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Or you can clean install smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 43 Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Hey guys,

Just a sideline to the OP's question but im sure would help others including me!!

What settings files etc are needed to be saved on a win7 build.
I need to install a new hdd and replace the current one as its getting finicky and won't install sp1 and other worn out issues im sure...

But what files and where do i need to save like recorded shows is easy but to be recorded programs list etc.... music list (not the actual music in my case thats on another drive) etc.....

Mine won't even accept new music atm drag flac files over (all of my music) and find the album info for it hit save/finish and it just stays the same as unknown!

Have been searching all morning and can't seem to find anything.... i must be getting old!
post #24 of 43 Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Best thing to do is clone to the new SSD, then enable AHCI once you boot from the SSD. The data/installation on your 2TB drive will not be touched that way.

This is great advice. Your hard drive will be untouched.

After the clone remove your hard drive completely and do the ACHI switch on the SSD. If anything goes wrong, your hard drive is your untouched backup.
Once your SSD is fully tested, reinstall the hard drive and delete the windows partition. (make sure you go into the Bios and set it to boot off of the SSD.)

post #25 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up buying another 2 tb drive, copying my data over to that drive leaving only the OS partition on my original drive. I then used the intel cloning software which worked without a hitch and quicker than I expected. The drive definitely loads app quicker but not the speed I was expecting. Also my boot times really don't seem to have improved. Now once I am in the windows screen the computer does respond quicker, I just expected it to get to the windows screen much quicker. My boot times are nowhere near 15-30 seconds. I tried to enable achi to see if that would help and then I couldn't boot at all so hard to revert back to ide. My mobo is only sata 2 wondering if a sata 3 board would help get to the 15-30 boot time. I've got a decent processor AMD phenom 965 BE x4 and 8 gb of ram so I don't see a bottle neck there... Anyone have similar experience after moving to ssd?
post #26 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I ended up buying another 2 tb drive, copying my data over to that drive leaving only the OS partition on my original drive. I then used the intel cloning software which worked without a hitch and quicker than I expected. The drive definitely loads app quicker but not the speed I was expecting. Also my boot times really don't seem to have improved. Now once I am in the windows screen the computer does respond quicker, I just expected it to get to the windows screen much quicker. My boot times are nowhere near 15-30 seconds. I tried to enable achi to see if that would help and then I couldn't boot at all so hard to revert back to ide. My mobo is only sata 2 wondering if a sata 3 board would help get to the 15-30 boot time. I've got a decent processor AMD phenom 965 BE x4 and 8 gb of ram so I don't see a bottle neck there... Anyone have similar experience after moving to ssd?

Should have clean installed. The OS didn't partition or align the SSD properly like it would have in a clean install.
post #27 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

post #28 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Free alignment software for Intel SSD

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20849

Looks like this only works with xp... I have win7.
post #29 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like this only works with xp... I have win7.

it should work, try it

post #30 of 43 Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll give it a try. Yeah my boots time are 65 secs.. If I unplug an external hdd I have attached it is 55 secs... So it definitely seems like something is up. Going to try alignment and if that doesn't help going to do a clean install.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page