Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I use this Asus coax SPDIF bracket:

on my MSI 880GMA-E45 motherboard:

As you can see from the photo, the cable has 5 pinholes but my motherboard only has 3 pins. Can I create my own replacement cable?

I ordered the ASUS optical bracket on eBay but I was wondering if this would also work. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 357

Connect:

- SPDIF_OUT to SPDIF
- GND to Ground

Ignore the other pins. Remove the 2 x 3 header connector and insert the two pins to a 1 x 2 header connector like this (order it here).
post #3 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, renethx. I'm picking up my home-theater-in-a-box tomorrow so I'll rig up the cable with spare parts I already have. I'll post again with results. Thank you, too, for the store link.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

It worked!

A word of warning though -- my motherboard's marking of pins 1-3 may be in reverse with the documentation. When I initially powered on the PC after making the connections with my rigged-up wire, thick black smoke came from the fast melting wire insulation. I didn't panic, though, because I read one reviewer at Amazon going through the same experience and so half-expected it to happen to me. I simply powered off then reversed the cable.

Now I have surround sound.

In case anyone's curious, I got the Sony DAVDZ170 home-theater-in-a-box. Really nice (I watched the old Spiderman-Tobey-Maguire movie) with the 1000W power.

Thanks, renethx.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 AM

why dont i need to wired up the+5v pin? with out wired it would it make signal lower than .5v since if there is +5v pin, there should be resister on circuit, otherwise that is just avr frying bracket, i really need to know cas i do looking on this module too
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
I made my own brackets and reused an optical bracket 5V was only needed to power optical leds it is not needed on my homemade coaxial brackets.But having a another look at that bracket I dont think it requires 5v at all.I do have a similar bracket to that one but it has a optical and coaxial and required the 5v but I was able to use a 4 pin sound cable from cdrom.which supplied the digital and 5v there was only 1 gnd connection on bracket but worked fine
Just to be clear coaxial is not 5v it is much less.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM

thank you, thank you.
well i know, coaxial is not 5v, it is actually 0.5v. and thats a point. WHY would this coaxial only bracket has 5v pin connector ??? / so i assume there might be a resister on that circuit, if i do not wired up 5v pin, so signal is going to be much less than 0.5v since it pass resister(if there were) , how dose this effect my dac or avr in this case.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
a quick google and it seems both your mobo and that sony both have HDMI. why not use that?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I made a SPDIF bracket just like is described in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/997533/howto-make-a-coax-spdif-output-bracket

It only takes 2 conductors, ground & signal. Not all SPDIF motherboard headers use the same pin arrangement so you should check with your mobo manual to determine which pin does what.

I have no idea why the bracket that is shown uses 5V. Maybe it's for the SPDIF_IN. Or maybe they are using some type of isolation circuitry for some reason. You would need to ask the manufacturer. But if you do a Google search on building a bracket you will find several articles & they only use signal & ground connections.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page