Realtek digital coax output can't push 5.1 surround on my new windows 7 64bit machine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have been searching for a solution for this with no success and I am at the point now where I believe Realtek just hasn't fixed a driver problem. I use SPDF coax out to my digital receiver. I had windows 7 32 bit and never had this problem, but I just built a new machine. I am using the latest realtek drivers from my mobos website. I can not get the digital out to display anything but stero 2 channel sound. I can however test the Dolby digital and DTS encoding through control panel>Sound>Real Tek digital output>supported formats tab. Here I see encoding formats and I see Dolby Digital, DTS Audio, and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio. When I highlight DTS and Dolby digital and click test it outputs a test to all 5.1 speakers and then the DTS or Dolby digital light on my receiver turns on to let me know its working. However, playing any dvds, games, anything that I know has a dolby digital audio stream doesn't work. It will not display dolby digital on my receiver and nothing except the front speakers will play. After doing the above test the dolby digital light stays on my receiver, but the second I play a Bluray in windows media player the light goes away and it plays in 2.0 stereo. Has Anyone found a solution to this? as I have tried everything I can think of! The realtek manager is no help as I do not see any digital sound settings to implement. It just has a "default Format" tab with a choice between different bit rates to default to. Please help thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Liked: 11
Is your media player set to output 5.1?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
what player & filters?.
sounds like its not set to Spdif passthru
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have tried. I was just doing some testing and I found played a dvd that had dolby digital audio. I currently have a digital coax going from my new computer to my digital receiver. I only get dolby digital through windows media player on that. But VLC, media player classic, and games(say skyrim) do not play in 5.1. Just my front two speakers are on. Funny thing is, when I use HDMI from my MSI GTX660 video card through my receiver to my TV(HDMI passthrough) I get 5.1 digital sound through everything. However my receiver gets HDCP errors and having the sound set up this way is a nightmare as it won't play anything through WMP and sometimes the sound gets all distorted. It also reverts my 1080p display to 1080i with a refresh rate of 30 instead of 60 for some reason. The receiver is kind of old(7 years).

Anyway, the video files I am using to test are encoded with different audio tracks. DTS HD and Dolby digital 7.1 etc.. I am pretty sure SPDF coax can't do 7.1, 6.1, etc... That is why the HDMI through my video card did do it. and I also think most games use dolby digital live to encode 5.1 audio which SPDF wouldn't be able to do either. I have a 5.1 speaker set up, however if I am viewing files or content that is above 5.1 say DTS HD 7.1 I will need to use HDMI to properly get 5.1 because it will downgrade it to a 5.1. The SPDF can't because it can't even read a 7.1 stream so it reverts to stereo 2.0. I guess I might be looking at a new receiver to achieve what I want. I might have to post this or something similar in the AV receiver forum instead.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered some v.1.4 HDMI cables too because it just dawned on me these cables I am using could be the old HDMI cables like when HDMI first came out. Could this cause my receiver to bomb on the video/audio when using the HDMI passthrough to my TV? I guess we will see... Thanks for your replies!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Anyway, the video files I am using to test are encoded with different audio tracks. DTS HD and Dolby digital 7.1 etc..
There is no Dolby Digital 7.1. The max is Dolby Digital EX, which was 6.1 and included a discrete surround back channel. Most receivers/pre-amps that do "7.1" with a Dolby Digital signal, perform extra processing to derive the 7th channel.
Quote:
I am pretty sure SPDF coax can't do 7.1, 6.1, etc...
7.1 - No
6.1 - Yes.
Quote:
That is why the HDMI through my video card did do it.
Not necessarily. It's a software configuration issue. With SPDIF, you have video going out through one mechanism and audio going out through another. Both need to be configured correctly. HDMI is much simpler and requires only a single configuration.
Quote:
and I also think most games use dolby digital live to encode 5.1 audio which SPDF wouldn't be able to do either.
Why not? DD is DD, whether encoded live or encoded on a disk. And it does work.
Quote:
I have a 5.1 speaker set up, however if I am viewing files or content that is above 5.1 say DTS HD 7.1 I will need to use HDMI to properly get 5.1 because it will downgrade it to a 5.1.
Wrong. Yes, you need to down convert to 5.1, but that has nothing to with HDMI.
Quote:
The SPDF can't because it can't even read a 7.1 stream so it reverts to stereo 2.0.
Wrong again. Has nothing to do with SPDIF. Software configuration issue.
Quote:
I guess I might be looking at a new receiver to achieve what I want.
That is of course your choice, but do it for the right reasons.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks so much for that informitive reply! So you think this problem is related to the drivers/software with the realtek audio drivers? because when I use HDMI passthrough to my receiver everything works as far as the sound when my receiver isn't screwing up due to HDCP errors or whatever the issue is. So it must be a configuration issue with the software of the real tek audio manager or the drivers. I just find it odd that media will not play in 5.1 through SPDF on my digital output interface for Realtek, but it will on HDMI through my video card. I guess that pretty much narrows it down to the drivers and/or software of the realtek onboard audio.

I have good reasons to get a new receiver I guess. I would like to consolidate all components to one cable and also having more than one HDMI input would be nice as now I have 3 devices that use HDMI. But, I have had a lot of trouble using my current HDMI passthrough(IE. it only allows my display to run as 1080i with a refresh rate of 30, but when I have HDMI from video card going straight to the TV I get 1080p with 60 for a refresh rate)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

So I was messing around and of course you were right. I installed AAC decoder which I thought my K-lite pack had, but after I made settings in there to do SDPIF output it all works now. The only thing that will not work is 5.1 in games. I found out this is due to the Realtek onboard audio on my Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen3 does not support this. So I am looking at either looking at doing HDMI passthrough or buying a new audio card that supports DDL and/or DTS connect. However with all the issues I am seeing with my HDMI passthrough on my current receiver I might have to get a new receiver if I go that route.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page