So, it's time for a new build. My current HTPC is 6 years old now and it is time for an upgrade.
I plan to use the HTPC for encoding and some gaming (not heavy but not light either) in addition to playback. I want a build that can handle madVR easily as I have a good amount of SD content. Finally, I'm a looking for at least 6 HDDs in addition to a SSD as the boot disk in the case. I am not interested in a media server - think NY apartment.
So here's the plan:
Mother Board: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
SSD: OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
BD Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Model ihes112-04 - OEM
Case: SilverStone Lascala LC10B-E HTPC Case (USB 3.0 Version) - Black
Here are my questions:
1. Remembering I plan on using this for encoding and some gaming, is the i7-3770K overkill or will and i5-3570k suffice?
2. Is the HD4000 going to be sufficient for madVR? I am thinking I'll try it and, if not, get a dedicated GPU later.
3. With 6 HDDs, an SSD, BD drive, and possibly a future GPU or even some USB drives, is my 750W PSU enough?
4. I'm not totally in love with the case but cannot find anything better to house 6 HDDs, an SSD and BD drive. Any suggestion?
5. I'm very concerned about heat with all those HDDs. Do cases usually come with fans? I cannot find anywhere where it mentions whether it does or not. Will the stock CPU cooler be sufficient? If not can you recommend something?
6. Does the memory see good enough or is there something better I should be looking at?
7. Am I forgetting anything imporant or other comments?
Thanks in advance. I'm very excited to get this all ordered and going.