Very confused about my set-up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my PC (Windows 7, Radeon HD 5670) connected to my TV (LG 32LC7D) via HDMI. From there I have an optical cable going from the TV out to my receiver. Stereo works fine but I have spent the entire day trying to get surround sound to work but am giving up in utter failure.

The problem started with my graphics card only showing up as 2-channel in windows and I spent half the day trying to fix that with various drivers and even an EDID override. After that failed I did some more reading and it looked like you can keep it set to 2-channel and have MPChc send DTS anyway which the receiver should decode. Best I could get was static. I am aware of the other options in sound cards or going from the PC to the receiver to the TV but I REALLY want that HDMI sound to work so I don't have to completely tear apart and complicate my whole system.

What truly confuses me is that I have my Xbox360 hooked up exactly the same way and surround sound works perfectly fine. Why is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 AM

Liked: 19
What program are you using to playback, if its MPC-HC, are you using LAV Filters?
If so open LAV Audio Decoder while playing back the file, and check the 'status tab' check what codec/channels are under output.
To Open LAV Audio Decoder, right click during playback - Filters - then select LAV Audio Decoder.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using MPC-HC. I tried using LAV filters and followed this guide to the T to set it up, but LAV Audio never pops up in the filters list for some reason, even though I am sure this movie is in DTS.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Why not just send the audio through the optical out of your motherboard in the first place straight to the receiver? It seems like having it go through hdmi through the tv and whatever the tv does to the audio then to the receiver is the long way around. At least try it and I bet you get the surround sound. Just make sure your optical out is set as your default audio device.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Are you sure surround sound works with this setup coming from your Xbox? Most TVs will only output 2 channel stereo from their optical ports. You may have gotten Dolby Pro Logic "surround" sound from your Xbox from this setup, but not Dolby Digital or DTS.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Why do you have it connected that way? it's certainly odd...

The normal way of doing it is: HTPC HDMI output -> Receiver, then HDMI output -> TV
post #7 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I assume the OP's receiver has no HDMI inputs. I have the same setup, and mine works fine. I found that windows doesn't necessarily report the actual state of the audio output correctly. Mine also says 2 CH but in reality is 5.1. Did you just go by the 2 CH indication in windows or actually confirm your receiver wasn't getting 5.1? You may want to put everything back the way it was originally and see what you get, ignoring what windows says.

Having said that, I think Puwaha's answer is the correct one and that you are seeing Pro Logic. I could be wrong, but I think your TV is probably too old to have the capability of passing 5.1 from an HDMI input out the optical port. My newer TV will, but my TV the same age as yours will not.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
My older Sony HDTV will not pass surround sound through the optical audio to the A/V receiver, only 2 channel stereo.

I have the HTPC's HDMI going to the TV and HTPC's digital coax audio going to the AVR which does not have HDMI inputs.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 199
sometimes tv's can pass dolby digital 5.1 out of the optical - thats for getting surround sound from ATSC broadcasts to a receiver.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #10 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yes, my HDTV will output DD5.1 from the optical if the source is from an ATSC broadcast coming in from the TV's tuner. But it will not pass through DD5.1 if the source is coming into the HDTV's HDMI input.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry my response is so delayed, thank you for the help.

First of all the reason I like this set up is for simplicity. All of my devices are hooked into my TV first, and then through an optical out on the TV the sound runs into my receiver. This means that all I have to do is choose an input on the TV for the device I want to use and that's it, no fiddling with the receiver ever. Up until now I was just living with stereo from my HTPC via a 3.5mm cord, but now it's time to get the surround sound working. Note that the receiver has no HDMI inputs.

My Xbox, which is hooked to my TV via HDMI-in and then the sound runs out of the TV via Optical-out and into the receiver, is indeed in Dolby Digital. The display on my receiver says "DD Digital" and according to the manual (pg.25) this means the signal is in Dolby Digital format. So this proves my TV is capable of sending surround sound through.

Which brings us back to the original question, why does this not work with my HTPC? Windows will only identify the HDMI sound as 2-channel and I can't seem to configure MPChc in a way to push the signal through...
post #12 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Just a follow-up. I tried playing with EDID overrides again and made some slight progress. I could not figure out how to create a working .INF of my own, but I tried a few of the premade ones and managed to get Dolby Digital to come through. However DTS did not work and it also killed the monitor, so obviously I would need a more specific EDID override that I don't have the capacity to create...

This was the thread I used...
post #13 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Please take this suggestion knowing that I understand budgets come in to play here, but if I were you I would really try to upgrade to a newer AVR with HDMI so you can run everything through it and then just one cable to your TV it will solve all your problems and has many benefits!. What your doing is kind of the backwards version of that. There are some reasonable prices on these AVR's these days plus you will get all the high resolution audio formats as well.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just turned my coffee table into a computer desk, that's how low on disposable cash I am. I'm convinced there is a way to get this working but I can't do it anymore, officially giving up, my heart can't take the tedium. Luckily I found another less efficient way to make it all work.

Thanks for the responses.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

How many optical inputs does you avr have? Have you tried just going from the motherboard to the avr with an optical and using that instead of the video card for the audio device?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page