Has anyone been able to use an HDMI splitter with WMC and CableCard? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Been racking my brain on this for probably close to a year. I have a projector and AVR in one room and a TV in another. I want my HTPC to be able to playback on both, preferably at the same time, but not a firm requirement. I know I can use an extender (I do that now), but there's the issue of playback of DVD and BluRay rips, so its not wife friendly. I could also put another HTPC in there, but then there is the issue of protected content. Splitting the output HDMI signal is the logical way to do it, but I just can't seem to make it work!

Obviously SOME devices work with HDMI splitters, but it seems like MSFT has put us in a special kind of hell in this regard. I have an Onkyo 709 that has a built in HDMI splitter, but unfortunately, I get the dreaded HDCP errors in WMC when I try to watch live TV. I just bought an HDMI detective and am trying to see if that might help.

Anyone find a splitter that will actually work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

I haven't had any problems with this one. It splits my htpc between a bedroom and my receiver for my living room. I used to have issues all the time with HDCP with just my receiver before the splitter was introduced. I figured out that if I switched the input of the receiver after every thing else was ready, especially the htpc, I wouldn't have those issues. I assume it was a handshake issue. Anyway, I set my harmony remote to include a nice delay before switching inputs and the problems went away.

Not sure if that is even relevant but thought I would mention it just in case.

Brett
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Maybe I'm dense, but can't you output HDMI >and< DVI from your HTPC at the same time?

If so, no need for a splitter. And there are DVI to HDMI cables
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettvdi View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2
I haven't had any problems with this one. It splits my htpc between a bedroom and my receiver for my living room. I used to have issues all the time with HDCP with just my receiver before the splitter was introduced. I figured out that if I switched the input of the receiver after every thing else was ready, especially the htpc, I wouldn't have those issues. I assume it was a handshake issue. Anyway, I set my harmony remote to include a nice delay before switching inputs and the problems went away.
Not sure if that is even relevant but thought I would mention it just in case.
Brett

Thanks. I tried one splitter, as well as the one built into my AVR. It works fine for everything BUT Live and Recorded TV. PlayReady seems to freak out at random and the HDCP error shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Maybe I'm dense, but can't you output HDMI >and< DVI from your HTPC at the same time?
If so, no need for a splitter. And there are DVI to HDMI cables

That works for everything BUT Live and Recorded TV. Like with the splitter, PlayReady freaks out and next thing I know I have no video anywhere. If you try to set up PlayReady with the desktop cloned to two monitors, it won't even set up, saying your system is incompatible. I did see a possible work around using a DVI to HDMI adapter that some people claim essentially eliminates any HDCP issues. Going to try that.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Try splitting the output of your AVR ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tried that as well, still no bueno.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Disclaimer: I am not an HDCP expert
In theory, this should be workable. As I understand it, an HDCP source can support up to 16 decryption keys (displays) for the same content. However CAN is the key word - it doesn't have to support 16, or even more than 1. I don't *THINK* this requires support on the part of the HDMI distributor, but I'm not certain of that. This is likely a limitation of your video card/drivers

tl;dr: try upgrading your video drivers, or change to a different brand video card, but you may be stuck

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks erick, From what I have read though, MSFT limits WMC to one HDCP connection at a time.

Now of course if you guys would just make your Echo play full Blu-Ray and DVD rips, I wouldn't have to bother with this! wink.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Thanks erick, From what I have read though, MSFT limits WMC to one HDCP connection at a time.
Now of course if you guys would just make your Echo play full Blu-Ray and DVD rips, I wouldn't have to bother with this! wink.gif

+3 (one for each tv smile.gif)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Disclaimer: I am not an HDCP expert
In theory, this should be workable. As I understand it, an HDCP source can support up to 16 decryption keys (displays) for the same content. However CAN is the key word - it doesn't have to support 16, or even more than 1. I don't *THINK* this requires support on the part of the HDMI distributor, but I'm not certain of that. This is likely a limitation of your video card/drivers
tl;dr: try upgrading your video drivers, or change to a different brand video card, but you may be stuck

This is a good read on HDMI and all the issues around it wrt testing and compatibility.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291855/official-oppo-bdp-93-owners-thread/21000_60#post_22040275

"Really the history of HDMI has been more Microsoft-like. I.e., add features first, then figure out how to get them to work.

And that's just at the chip level. HDMI is quite a bit more complicated than that, particularly now that you have devices with multiple inputs and outputs. Signal fan-out is a good example -- i.e., a signal sent to multiple outputs. The spec contemplates fan-out. It is an approved complexity. But that doesn't mean all the rough edges have been filed off it. Such as what if the device wants to send different signal characteristics to each output -- from a single, copy protected piece of content. How is copy protection supposed to be satisfied when the things at the other end of the two cables respond differently?"
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page