Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 - Windows Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if the Hauppauge HD-PVR2 can be recognized in Windows Media Center as a tuner? I see that the original HD-PVR does have Windows Media Center support, but I've not been able to find if the HD-PVR2 has that capability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Well, I'm trying like the devil to install it and WMC doesn't see it. Nor can I Google any information about doing that. I KNEW I should have gotten another 1212, but the BB nearest my house only had this one.
cTwining likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Cannot get WMC to see the device. WinTV is the only way to record and it starts with a page full of errors I can find little documentation on. The IR blaster does nothing. And WinTV only saves files as .ts. I'll catch the one thing I need to catch tonight, then the whole mess is going back.

PS: The included software comes with no uninstaller and most of the programs don't show up in the control panel. Removing all of them should be an exercise in frustration.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hauppauge drivers don't uninstall like normal drivers. You have to use a special utility that's usually found on the install disk. I believe it's called hcwclear or something to that effect.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully, somebody can figure out the IR blaster and Windows Media Center integration. I have a 1212 on another box and it runs pretty flawlessly under WMC.
I've installed WinTV7 twice and it still throws a half-dozen errors on startup. "Failed to attach TS slip" and so forth.

post #6 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI - Media Center can play .ts files just fine.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

I know that. I want to schedule the recordings via WMC like I do with the 1212. At least make the included IR blaster work with WinTV. That'd be nice too.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you recording from satellite or cable? If it's cable, is there a reason you don't want to use a cablecard tuner? It's a lot less hassle and pays for itself in the long run.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Are you recording from satellite or cable? If it's cable, is there a reason you don't want to use a cablecard tuner? It's a lot less hassle and pays for itself in the long run.
Cable. I had the InfiniTV installed, but Brighthouse Networks, like Time Warner, has the CCI bit set to "copy once" for every channel except broadcast. I need a degree of portability for programs I record. I never know where I'm going to watch a show.. might be on my HTPC, could be on the deck, my laptop on the plane, my wife's laptop.. a DVD player.. it was just nuts being restricted to just the computer it was recorded on. Could assign the tuners to other computers, but then I lose the 4-program capability, which I need.

So, for me, it's back to recording networks off of an antenna and cable programs off of the 1212 and this 1512.

post #10 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Email back from tech support. Nope. No Windows Media Center integration. "Not currently supported in the 1512" is the exact quote.

It also was not intended for multiple tuner installations. I have two 2250s. I added the 1512 to use with a cable box. That apparently wrecked a few things. The tech told me they hadn't considered someone using the 1512 and one of the other cards at the same time. The IR blaster assumes the 2250. Did a registry hack to make Blast CFG assume a 1512, but there's still no output from the blaster's emitter. So, that's a problem for another day.

post #11 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Cannot get WMC to see the device. WinTV is the only way to record and it starts with a page full of errors I can find little documentation on. The IR blaster does nothing. And WinTV only saves files as .ts. I'll catch the one thing I need to catch tonight, then the whole mess is going back.

PS: The included software comes with no uninstaller and most of the programs don't show up in the control panel. Removing all of them should be an exercise in frustration.
No 'HCWClear.EXE'???
post #12 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

No 'HCWClear.EXE'???
I had to download that.

post #13 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Quote:

No 'HCWClear.EXE'???
I had to download that.
In fairness to Hauppauge they aren't the only piece of complicated modern software to require a download to clean them up. Others that come to mind are Nero and most any Anti-Virus software.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

In fairness to Hauppauge they aren't the only piece of complicated modern software to require a download to clean them up. Others that come to mind are Nero and most any Anti-Virus software.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I just like it when something I install can be removed from the Control Panel. Makes it easier to re-install. I have 6 2250 tuners and the 1212. All of those work as advertised. This one seems to have needed some more time in beta.

post #15 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
Since my cable provider has recently encrypted all channels leaving nothing in the clear I had to reconfigure my HTPC systems. As compensation subscribers are entitled to a free (for a year) cable box if they already have one or two free set top boxes (for a year) if they don't. So I took a free HD Motorola box (for a total of three) and a CableCard (for a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime triple tuner).

I have been trying to decide between a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212, the new Hauppauge HD PVR 2 1512 or a Hauppauge Colossus for the extra HD cable box. I guess I have little choice but to drop the new 1512 from consideration.

For what its worth there was no Media Center support for theHauppauge HD PVR 1212 when it was first released either by Hauppauge or DVBLink. I personally still use DVBLink and find it to be a superior solution to the Hauppauge Media Center software offering. I don't think the DVBLink for Hauppauge HD PVR would work with the new 1512 version though.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
For my Cable TV needs, I am Ceton all the way. I have two InfiniTV-4s in my HTPC server, feeding 5 Ceton Echo extenders in the house.

My main reason for the original question is that I am going to be installing a video surveillance system soon with an HDMI out. I'd like to somehow dump that signal back into WMC so I can just tune a channel on my extenders and see what's displaying on the surveillance system.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

According to the tech I've been dealing with, there's not GONNA be any WMC support.

post #18 of 21 Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

According to the tech I've been dealing with, there's not GONNA be any WMC support.

WHAT!? I bought one of these just for Media Center because the Hauppauge Press Release says:
Quote:
The new model for home media users is called HD PVR 2 model 1512. HD PVR 2 users can create a library of their favorite cable TV or satellite TV programs in HD. HD PVR 2 has a built-in high definition video recorder plus an IR blaster to control channel changing on a set top box. HD PVR 2 .... HD PVR 2 is also compatible with Windows Media Center from Windows 7 and Windows 8.

See the bold? The Tech I contacted said it was coming, but that was a few months ago. I was willing to wait a few months for the bits to show up, but if it's never coming, this thing is getting returned ASAP.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Bought it for the same reason. "Compatible with Media Center" means WMC will play the files the 1512 records using WinTV7. Now, that's according to the tech who just sent me a new beta to try to resolve my problems. He still insists there aren't drivers for WMC being developed by them. I hope a) he's wrong or b) someone else develops the drivers. Can't be rocket science.

post #20 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 166

Any update on whether or not the model 1512 is going to be fully compatible with WMC?

I have a WinTV-HVR-950Q and haven't had any troubles getting it to record OTA NTSC HD and SD channels thru Windows 8 WMC.  Due to lack of an IR blaster, I am currently forced to use the WinTV software to record content from the DirecTV receiver using the provided AV cables (which only support SD content).  It works ok, but the interface is hideous.  Rather than purchase a separate IR blaster in order to allow me to use my current tuner thru WMC for recording SD content from a STB, I figured that I would just purchase the HD PVR w/ included IR blaster, allowing me to kill two birds with one stone: 1) record STB video thru WMC and 2) record STB video in HD.

When I saw that the new HD PVR 2 was going to be able to record both component and non-HDCP HDMI content in up to 1080p, I was ecstatic.  Now, I'm not sure if I should buy the HD PVR 2 for the better resolution/connectivity options and hope that they add WMC support later on, or buy the older model (1212) for the WMC compatibility and settle for 1080i/720p recordings from component devices (no support for non-HDCP HDMI).  My ultimate goal is to be able to record in HD from all of the devices in my house including set top boxes and gaming consoles using XBMC as the front end of the PVR software solution.  I already have WMC, so using it as the backend would be ideal, but I am flexible on that part so long as the HD capture device and my existing tuner are both able to work with the XBMC interface.

It baffles me that Hauppauge would even consider hamstringing their top-notch hardware by restricting it to work only with their less-than-desirable software.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Any update on whether or not the model 1512 is going to be fully compatible with WMC? ...
It baffles me that Hauppauge would even consider hamstringing their top-notch hardware by restricting it to work only with their less-than-desirable software.
Nothing that I know of and I check rather frequently. I think this was simply aimed at gamers to capture gameplay. There was little thought to WMC support since it appeared - at the time they were most likely developing it - That Microsoft was going to discontinue WMC with Win8.. which a lot of us thought was true.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page