RAID - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know of a HTPC sized device that also has RAID for basic home server use with minimal HTPC use? Jsut something in a small form factor. Want to replace my old HP Mediasmart with something that has more functionality.

------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Silverstone GD06 has a pair of hot-swap bays in the front hidden by a panel, if that's what you're looking for. Use a motherboard that supports RAID and you should be good to go.

TV: Panasonic 50" ST50 1080p Plasma
Audio: Yamaha Aventage A710 / Polk Audio RM510 5.1
Remote: Logitech Harmony 510 / Logitech MX Air mouse / Lenovo N5902
HTPC: Silverstone SG06 / Intel i7-3770S / XFX 7870 DD / 840 Pro 256GB / Windows 8 Pro / Synology DS413 + 4x3TB WD Red RAID5
Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Many MB will give you RAID function. Or you can use a SW RAID program, or not use RAID at all. MiniITX form factor small enough?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm more looking for a plug & play option. My days of building out systems are behind me. This is a 80% work system and 20% fun. So I don't want to risk a BYOB system. I was hoping I could add a RAID option to a dell 660s but that is not possible. Need to keep looking.

post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

I'm more looking for a plug & play option. My days of building out systems are behind me. This is a 80% work system and 20% fun. So I don't want to risk a BYOB system. I was hoping I could add a RAID option to a dell 660s but that is not possible. Need to keep looking.

Is this just for a file server or do you need it to do more? I'm curious about why you don't want to build your own system, I find it's still the most cost effective way to go.

Looky here!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Over the last few years I've found by buying a pre-built system theylast longer.

It isn't so much a file server. I use it to run cubby between two offices and sync files between multiple computers. I know a synology type setup with two file servers runing the synology sync would be better but they are a lot more money for two. Also the boss (at his house) can't be trusted to work through a web interface with any ease so I need files to sync directly to his desktop.

And no we don't want to do DropBox or Google Drive and put it in the cloud. Too expensive for the GB's we have to store.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

Over the last few years I've found by buying a pre-built system theylast longer.
It isn't so much a file server. I use it to run cubby between two offices and sync files between multiple computers. I know a synology type setup with two file servers runing the synology sync would be better but they are a lot more money for two. Also the boss (at his house) can't be trusted to work through a web interface with any ease so I need files to sync directly to his desktop.
And no we don't want to do DropBox or Google Drive and put it in the cloud. Too expensive for the GB's we have to store.

We use supermicro hardware for all of our backup and archival storage. We have over a dozen rack mount servers running now, the only thing we've had to replace is some failed drives. My company business is built around large data sets and has some very strict retention policies on even our archived data, so we have to trust the hardware we put it on.

This chassis will hold 8 hot swap SAS or SATA drives to start, with an additional drive bay they can hold up to 13.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7046/SYS-7046A-3.cfm

You'd need to add CPU/RAM/RAID controller. For RAID these are solid and a good value. They also ship with the cables you need for that chassis:

http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/MegaRAIDSAS9270-8i.aspx

All the hardware is OS agnostic, so you can run pretty much anything you want on it.

I use the bare bones version of that workstations at home for my media server.

Looky here!
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
HP Proliant N40L...RAID 0/1...out of the box. Pretty big userbase out there. WHS 2011//FREENAS, w/XBMC...Solaris...take your pick
Guys are running HD 5450/6450 to handle what the CPU cannot. I have a 5450/WHS 2011/PLEX running 24/7...(still setting up, mind you, but am very pleased) You can regularly catch some good combo deals at NewEgg, sometimes with a drive, sometimes RAM...I caught it with 2 extra gigs of RAM for 269.00

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes I've been looking at those HP Proliant's for a while. I'm waiting for an update and may jump on that.

But it isn't too much of a HTPC. I'd like minor HTPC use also.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't realize Acer released a WHS box in the last few months. May be a great replacement to my mediasmart. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321094&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4003003&SID=1ifj225kc2a5c

But being headless with the ACER support (aka non existant) may not be the best idea....

post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Yes I've been looking at those HP Proliant's for a while. I'm waiting for an update and may jump on that.
But it isn't too much of a HTPC. I'd like minor HTPC use also.
There are a lot of guys using as HTPC duty...I guess it depends on how you intend to utilize it. It may not be a conversion or transcoding BEAST, but for file transfer, and storage...it works for my needs. The GPU in the 5450 will take the load off the CPU for video/audio...
I have spec'd a couple of builds using Assassin's guide, and this was my least expensive route...(I already had the 5450, and a 1tb drive...) I would still love to build a nice rig, but cannot justify spending the extra.
Right now, waiting to get the warranty repair on my Onkyo 807, so I can put my theater back in order, and see how it looks on my projector.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page