Has anyone modified a case to use an Intel CIR receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I've been delaying order a bunch of parts to finally replaced my core 2 duo system because for the life of me I cannot find a case that I'm happy with.

I'd really like to do something slim based on the Intel DH61AG board, but the cost to do that is escalating quickly due to the specialized nature of all the parts I'd need (mini pcie fm tuner, slot load bluray, etc)

Does anyone know of, or could help create, a tutorial for adding an ir window to a pc? I've been using the 3.5" Imon receiver and it works well, but most of the cases I am looking at for this are slim and do not have an external 3.5 receiver.

I'm not terribly afraid of using a drill, I'd just like this to look as neat as possible. I intend to use this http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-intel-cir-receiver.aspx if I can't find something else that fits my needs.

So sad Antec, Thermaltake, and Zalman quit making their cases with IR windows. Wesensa and Streacom seem be the only ones using them, and their cases are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the other parts I am looking at

i3-3225 (finally have been talked out of an i5)

2x4GB Gskill DDR3 1600

OCZ 128GB SSD

ASRock H77M board

the power supply will depend on which case I decide on. I've never bought a power supply before. I will try out the stock cooler for a bit. I can use my current Zalman copper one if I need to.

I'd like to put them in a slim case of some sort.

What I already have:

5.25" bluray drive
ATI 650 tuner
ATI usb DCT
Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive.

My Windows installation has recently become quite corrupted (no clue how - something is seriously wrong) so I'd like to just start completely over. I am also looking at buying two 3TB hard drives and a Mediasonic four bay case to put the two new drives and two of my existing drives into.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #3 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have an inexpensive usb hp ir receiver which I have had for a number of years and I do not know if the model is still available. It works reasonably well and you might look into a usb solution. I doubt it will turn the computer on but it should work for everything else.

I am using an I5 HD 4000 CPU/GPU and I am very impressed with video smoothness, color rendition, and picture detail. But, like most posters, I do not have a second computer with an I3 HD 2500 to do a direct comparison.

Renethx posted in Oct. that to use MPC-HC with MadVR and the Jinc scaler you would need the HD 4000 and fast memory and an ivy bridge mobo. However, some poster state that they like other scalers better.

All I can say is that I doubt you would be disappointed with the I5 HD 4000, 2400 DRAM and an ivy bridge motherboard.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Something along these lines. There are all kinds of front panel indicator hardware out there. just search for variations of panel lenses.

http://vcclite.com/led-lenses/panel-lenses-10mm-led/
post #5 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've kicked around the idea of buying a motherboard with the HTPC header so I can add a recording LED light. I remember trying to turn my HDD led into a recording indicator, but I just screwed around with the program a bit and never really committed to it.

So you think a small clear LED lense would allow the receiver to pick up the signal? That would very easy - just use the appropriate drill bit and pop it in.

My general idea was to drill a dime sized hole, figure out a way to cut a piece of plastic to fit cleanly, and then add the receiver behind it.

My HTPC front end set up
post #6 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Why do you need this?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have had good luck with the Inteset USB internal IR receiver. I hate to have to drill a hole in a otherwise perfect case front panel. If you're handy with soldering, you might want to try my mod which worked with several cases.

For this particular case, you can connect the power LED to and LED housing on the right side of the front panel which transmits light along the right side. For other cases you would have to forgo the power light.

If you're not comfortable with soldering you can look for an internal USB receiver board with the 3-pin IR receiver already on extension wires. The model I saw awhile back appeared to be some OEM version of the Inteset board. I will post a link once I found it.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Why do you need this?

so i can use my remote. i can't seem to find any micro atx cases with an external 5.25 bay and ir receiver for around $100

gazebo, thats a really great idea. do you think it would likely fit where a case LED indicator is? i wonder if i can find one of those at radioshack to screw around with.

My HTPC front end set up
post #9 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I've been delaying order a bunch of parts to finally replaced my core 2 duo system because for the life of me I cannot find a case that I'm happy with.
I'd really like to do something slim based on the Intel DH61AG board, but the cost to do that is escalating quickly due to the specialized nature of all the parts I'd need (mini pcie fm tuner, slot load bluray, etc)
Does anyone know of, or could help create, a tutorial for adding an ir window to a pc? I've been using the 3.5" Imon receiver and it works well, but most of the cases I am looking at for this are slim and do not have an external 3.5 receiver.
I'm not terribly afraid of using a drill, I'd just like this to look as neat as possible. I intend to use this http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-intel-cir-receiver.aspx if I can't find something else that fits my needs.
So sad Antec, Thermaltake, and Zalman quit making their cases with IR windows. Wesensa and Streacom seem be the only ones using them, and their cases are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I purchaed the same Inteset CIR for my intel board and my Silverstone GD04 case didn't have a hole for the "EYE" so I did drill. I drilled from the inside out using a metal drill bit, took a while since i was drilling slowly to avoid messing up the case. The finished products looks almost factory, the only thing being that there is not plastic cover for the hole like a not CE box would. But from 6-9 feet away were I sit, you can't even tell.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

gazebo, thats a really great idea. do you think it would likely fit where a case LED indicator is? i wonder if i can find one of those at radioshack to screw around with.

The IR sensor's lens (5-6mm) is quite a bit larger than most case LEDs (most likely 1/8", or 3.175mm). I found this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049727&filterName=Category but can't tell if it would work with the Inteset IR receiver, though it has the 38KHz filter like the Vishay I use.

I found the product I mentioned in an earlier post. It wasn't an OEM of the Inteset I thought, but an OEM of some other MCE remote. Here's the link: http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_rsfiles&view=files&layout=download&path=manuals%2F600-vista-gp.pdf&Itemid=159. It appears to be a very flexible receiver: It can be turned from an external USB receiver into an internal receiver, and its sensor can be extended from the receiver board.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

The IR sensor's lens (5-6mm) is quite a bit larger than most case LEDs (most likely 1/8", or 3.175mm). I found this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049727&filterName=Category but can't tell if it would work with the Inteset IR receiver, though it has the 38KHz filter like the Vishay I use.
Yes it would. I built a CIR receiver with that part (it didn't have the metal casing though), a 10 mFarad capacitor and a resistor (can't remember the value). I'll post the exact part numbers tomorrow.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Run the ir receiver on a long cable out the back and under the bottom of the case to the bottom of the front. If it's too noticible, make a nice little housing for it..
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page