Help with BR Cataloging - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I'm just in the beginning stages of starting to catalog my collection (mostly Blu-Rays but have some DVDs). Planing to buy a lifetime subscription to anydvd hd this weekend since its 20% off (still seems quite high at about $125 USD for lifetime).

Anyways my question comes on how to best catalog everything. I have a file server located in the basement that will hold most everything. Have some parts on order to restore one of my old pcs to make it a HTPC.

I want to the most flexibility i can get. I can see myself occasionally wanting to watch the videos on my ipad or other devices. I will probably mostly watch the video with my HTPC on my home theater system but who knows what will happen in the future. When streaming boxes get better maybe i'll swap it out with a streaming box but right now i'm unhappy with whats out there for streaming boxes.

Anyways would it be best rip everything to VOBs and just covert, as needed, to whatever you need or would it be better to to rip everything to maybe MP4/H264?

If i convert to some type of file format from VOBs is MP4/H264 generally the most compatible with the most devices? What format of audio do you recommend? I know while MKV support everything the compatibility isn't that great.

I'll probably be on here asking a lot of questions as i learn them like handbrake.

As aside i'm about to buy a blu-ray drive for ripping. Any recommendations or are all of them pretty close? I was thinking on picking up this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136252

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 214
your goals seem to be a bit at odds - you want flexibility, which to me could mean two very things:

-you want an original untouched copy of your disc to manipulate as needed in the future
-you want to convert your movies into files that will be easily compatible with all your devices

if I were you, I would do the following. this will depend on having a moderately recent/powerful cpu:

id remux and save all my discs to mkv files - this means untouched video and sound for both bluray and dvd. your new htpc will be able to play these.

id also run something like plex - this is where the powerful cpu will come in handy. plex is the best transcoding solution out there. if you want to watch a very high bitrate bluray rip on your ipad, something that its too much for your wifi network to send, you can have your cpu compress it down so that the video fits over your wifi network and the audio is compatible with your ipad. it could also work to allow the same with streaming boxes.

if you really want to convert everything to a common standard format, the mp4 container with lower bitrate h264 video and aac audio seems to be the default standard these days. it will require a very powerful cpu to do your bluray discs quickly.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

your goals seem to be a bit at odds - you want flexibility, which to me could mean two very things:
-you want an original untouched copy of your disc to manipulate as needed in the future
-you want to convert your movies into files that will be easily compatible with all your devices
if I were you, I would do the following. this will depend on having a moderately recent/powerful cpu:
id remux and save all my discs to mkv files - this means untouched video and sound for both bluray and dvd. your new htpc will be able to play these.
id also run something like plex - this is where the powerful cpu will come in handy. plex is the best transcoding solution out there. if you want to watch a very high bitrate bluray rip on your ipad, something that its too much for your wifi network to send, you cant have your cpu compress it down so that the video fits over your wifi network and the audio is compatible with your ipad. it could also work to allow the same with streaming boxes.
if you really want to convert everything to a common standard format, the mp4 container with lower bitrate h264 video and aac audio seems to be the default standard these days. it will require a very powerful cpu to do your bluray discs quickly.

I second ripping to MKV and using Plex. There's even an upcoming feature called Plex Sync that allows your to easily store an offline version of the movie on your phone or tablet. No messing with handbrake or anything. Makemkv is good for ripping to mkv.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 20
I agree too, no point buying AnyDVD HD in this case. I too would recommend using MakeMKV to rip to MKV for HTPC playback, and use something like Plex to deliver/transcode for your other devices.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks guys for all the help. Yes all of you are very right my goals are at odds. I will change my goals so that highest audio/video to my home theater system is the most important. Previously i was talking about the scenario i wanted to take a couple movies with my when on the road but when that happens i will just use something like formatfactory to quickly create a couple mp4 files.

Just as a FYI my home theater PC will be running XBMC.

As acejh suggested i will try to use MakeMKV. It seems like a pretty simple program. First question is does it retain all the losseless audio formats: TrueHD & DTS-HD?

Second what advantage does putting the rip into an mkv container vs just a straight rip directly to my hard drive? It appears mkv won't give you any compression advantage. More things would be able to play the mkv then a straight rip? FYI...i also bought anydvd hd. I thought what the heck its expensive but i'll need it in the future.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage View Post

Thanks guys for all the help. Yes all of you are very right my goals are at odds. I will change my goals so that highest audio/video to my home theater system is the most important. Previously i was talking about the scenario i wanted to take a couple movies with my when on the road but when that happens i will just use something like formatfactory to quickly create a couple mp4 files.
Just as a FYI my home theater PC will be running XBMC.
As acejh suggested i will try to use MakeMKV. It seems like a pretty simple program. First question is does it retain all the losseless audio formats: TrueHD & DTS-HD?
Second what advantage does putting the rip into an mkv container vs just a straight rip directly to my hard drive? It appears mkv won't give you any compression advantage. More things would be able to play the mkv then a straight rip? FYI...i also bought anydvd hd. I thought what the heck its expensive but i'll need it in the future.

Yes MakeMKV retains all the loseless audio formats, it leaves the video/audio untouched.

No major advantage of a MKV compared to full rip, MKV is compatible with a lot more things and if you use MakeMKV its free where as you usually need to pay to get full rips on your HDD.

You didn't need AnyDVD HD but it can be very useful in the future if your needs change or if you want to play directly from the disc with XBMC anytime.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page