post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

We are about ready to purchase a new MB and CPU

Looked in here for qute a while but I still have a few questions/concerns

My use for this HTPC is basic audio/video payback from the hard drive and internet. Basic computer use for showing spreadsheets/presentations to small groups and as a 24/7 computer that works with my home automation software which is not much more than playing back audio files.

I am looking at the Corei3 3220. I like the 3220T more for the power savings but I can save about $40 by getting the 3220. Is there really that much powere use difference with the CPU at idle most of the time anyway?

One use in the future might be adding more storage for network backups and a file server in this PC. I see many people purchasing ASRock motherboards. We want to keep cost low. Which ASRock MB would be a good choice? My current MB used digital optical audio for sound. Is there any need for this anymore with HDMI?

Oh and one other issue we have now. We use 720P playback to make the screen more readable. Our current PC connects to our receiver and the receiver connects to the TV. Our TV does not have a way to turn off overscan so the video information on the edges is not visable. We need to pick something that eliminates this issue. It sounds like ASRock has a lot of options. Is this fixable from the PC side?

Thx

Scott Wood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking over more reviews for the ASRock motherboards. There sure seems to be a lot of DOA units. Kind of thinking twice about this brand?

Hope to get some ideas for the other questions. I would greatly appricate any viewpoints.

Thx

Scott Wood
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I have an Asrock H77M and it has been great. Easy to setup with a straightforward BIOS, gigabit ethernet, USB 3 and very good price. There are plenty of bad reviews for most products but going by the power users on this board (assassin) Asrock is a popular choice.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Is there really that much powere use difference with the CPU at idle most of the time anyway?

No, basically they are the same at idle and moderate load such as video playback. You will see some difference (5-10W) only at full load (because "T" operates at lower clock / lower voltage)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I recommend the i3 3220 for any basic box. Far better than a Celeron and has grunt to spare. The T version is a waste. If you have the 3225 for an additional $10-$15 consider it, otherwise the 3220 is more than sufficient. Asrock is also a good choice. I'd get a B75 board either the Pro 3 for full ATX or pro 3 M for m-ATX. If you Tv can't turn off overscan (odd) you can try to fiddle with Intel's control panel to alleviate the issue.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for the replies. Looked at some reviews for the HD 4000 graphic vs the 2500. What would I gain with the HD 4000 for a basic HTPC? Looks like it draws a little more power as well.

Thx again

Scott Wood
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page