- Am I correct in saying that a simple “mechanical connector” (no electronics involved) can be used to switch in EITHER direction between Display Port, HDMI and DVI? And further in one direction DOWN to VGA, i.e. (DP, HDMI, DVI to VGA)?
- Is it likely with the hardware mentioned below that I will have a better quality picture/video/spreadsheet, etc. from a graphics card than I will from the onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics?
- Is it true that Nvidia cards will be more compatible with my hardware because they use the same chipset as Intel?
Please recommend a good graphics board to me.
Here are my needs:
- Hopefully between $50- $80
- I typically have maybe 30 windows open between IE, Outlook, Windows Media Center, Excel, Windows Explorer, etc., etc.
- Although this is still up in the air, I think I would like the board to have a HDMI, a VGA (unless I can convert a digital port to VGA with a simple connector) and either a DVI or a Display port.
- I DON’T do any gaming and maybe a little video editing 3 or 4 times a year.
- If my understanding is correct in my converter question above and I can only support 2 monitors/TVs per MB or GC then here is my preference for the highest quality results on my Monitors/TV:
- 40” 1080p, 120 Hz LED TV - a lot of watching Windows Media Center via HDMI, maybe DVI
- maybe a new 24” monitor with either HDMI, DVI or maybe display port (although DP is doubtful as it doesn’t seem like that is very common and affordable yet on the monitor or graphics card)
- 19” VGA monitor for office work
- 19” VGA monitor - occasionally watching Windows Media Center
Here is my newly built system:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Processor: Intel I5 3570K
Memory: 2 x 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 running at 1600
Boot disk: Crucial 128 GB SSD Model #: CT128M4SSD2
Currently the 2nd disk is a Western Digital 1 TB Model # WD1001FALS
NOTHING IS OVERCLOCKED.
RUNNING ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH FACTORY DEFAULTS.
Windows 7 64 bit has all its updates!
Believe it or not, in the 2 weeks that I have had this running, I have had maybe 12 BSD!!!! Once while updating the driver on a Radeon HD6450 (FYI this is the graphics card I am looking to replace). Several times when I was just trying to restart!
I also get flickering from both the VGA and HDMI port off of the MB which I don’t get with the Radeon.
Is Gigabyte just as good as any other MB?
If you have any ideas and/or answers to these problems I would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks so much for your input!