Smart TVs - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

The only point I'm making is that you can buy 55" tvs from $999 to over $3000 with picture quality more or less varying directly with price. They tack on more extra features as you go up in price too. $500 isn't getting you DLNA, it's getting you a higher quality tv set with deeper contrast and more connections. And I know Sears at least has sold the 6100 on sale for $1099.
Of the 2011 models, we didn't carry a single Samsung, Sony, Sharp, or LG LED above 32" without some combination of web apps and DLNA. Samsung released a few models for 2012 that didn't have it and normally those were closer to $100 less, also with an inferior picture.
The only tv features/issues that I'd look for with htpc are 0-255 color, no known EDID issues, and possibly a game mode that shuts off any TV image processing (Sharp calls this Vyper drive). And possibly 24p, if you're a masochist.

Yes, A full set of calibration controls is a must and 240fps is a multiple of 24 so I think that is covered. I'd have to check but I think it has the Samsung "PC" mode for color space and would presume it has the ability to shut off DNR and Motion Flow.. But this is why I will read the manual before I buy too.

Sammy2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Karyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Yes, A full set of calibration controls is a must and 240fps is a multiple of 24 so I think that is covered. I'd have to check but I think it has the Samsung "PC" mode for color space and would presume it has the ability to shut off DNR and Motion Flow.. But this is why I will read the manual before I buy too.

I don't think mine does much of anything when it is told the connection is a PC, and many of the choices get grayed out. Oddly the range of some of the adjustments which remain are affected by that too. On mine I have to adjust the contrast up through the video card to get an acceptable picture. If it thinks it's connected to a DVR there's no such issue with contrast (but then you have to deal with overscan).
Karyk is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

The only point I'm making is that you can buy 55" tvs from $999 to over $3000 with picture quality more or less varying directly with price. They tack on more extra features as you go up in price too. $500 isn't getting you DLNA, it's getting you a higher quality tv set with deeper contrast and more connections. And I know Sears at least has sold the 6100 on sale for $1099.
Of the 2011 models, we didn't carry a single Samsung, Sony, Sharp, or LG LED above 32" without some combination of web apps and DLNA. Samsung released a few models for 2012 that didn't have it and normally those were closer to $100 less, also with an inferior picture.
The only tv features/issues that I'd look for with htpc are 0-255 color, no known EDID issues, and possibly a game mode that shuts off any TV image processing (Sharp calls this Vyper drive). And possibly 24p, if you're a masochist.

Which set do you think has come the closest to DLNA streaming DVD quality video?

They can all handle mp3 and jpg from windows shares correct?

I got really put off by DLNA sharing with the PS3 and Sony's Bravia implementation where everything had to be re-organized in a poorly documented way in order for the set to recognize it

Is there something already, or are we still waiting on h264 and MPEG2 capabilities?

Knowing that you've sold them makes me want to ask all these questions like a noob who's too lazy to do the research, but I don't really follow them as heavily as other tech areas
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #34 of 43 Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Which set do you think has come the closest to DLNA streaming DVD quality video?
They can all handle mp3 and jpg from windows shares correct?
I got really put off by DLNA sharing with the PS3 and Sony's Bravia implementation where everything had to be re-organized in a poorly documented way in order for the set to recognize it
Is there something already, or are we still waiting on h264 and MPEG2 capabilities?
Knowing that you've sold them makes me want to ask all these questions like a noob who's too lazy to do the research, but I don't really follow them as heavily as other tech areas

The problem with the connected tv's is the same problem with a lot of the streamer boxes - seemingly random and artificial limitations as it relates to codec and container support . Out of Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and LG it was Samsung that seemed to support the largest number of different options.

MPEG2 worked in .mpg, .mpeg, and .ts containers (mkv noticeably absent) with a bitrate up to 30mbps along with AC3 - enough for digital cable. DTS however was only available in avi and mkv files. h264 was only supported up to 20 or 25mbps. VC1 worked in .ts. srt files actually work on a number of models as well. The only chance for getting surround audio out is thru ARC, and LPCM is likely the only option.

music and pictures are pretty widely supported. my only experience with windows connect was with a Logitech Revue so I can't be a good judge of that for a server, though mp3 and jpg are the easiest across the board to make work.

5-8 years ago, the playback capabilities in the tv would be able to do anything an htpc could. Not quite true anymore.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is online now  
post #35 of 43 Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
galileo2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

So I'm lurking through the new HDTV info since I predict a new TV purchase will happen within a year (I'll be cascading the Samsung 7 series DLP to the parents)
It's somewhat nauseating to see the amount of junk available from Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Panasonic etc. by way of "app-enabled" sets
More frustrating is the idea of a TV drifting into HTPC territory and further away from a display
I like consumer choice, and there are plenty of consumers out there that just want to mount one of these suckers on a wall, listen to stereo audio from the included speakers, and watch Netflix or Hulu. That's great for them, and they have lots of choices. What about you or me? I'd rather not see so many options on the TV.
HDMI-CEC, quick input switching, and full PQ calibration tools with a nice learning programmable remote would be fine. Bigger, lighter, best pq, and cheapest come to mind, but I could really care less about the current app-enabled options. I feel this way because I've used both Sony and Samsung (while knowing that Panasonic and Vizio have offerings) smart tvs and to call them half-baked is a compliment. Clutter is the most apt description, especially the intrusiveness of Sony's app-implementation
I get a laugh when I read an article saying the same thing, especially in the comments http://www.zdnet.com/are-consumers-really-asking-for-smart-tvs-7000009479/
It looks like plenty of others have reached similar conclusions google search evidence
SO, I pose the question to those of you with similar setups, what do you use? Is there a good bang for your buck display currently manufactured without half baked HTPC options?
Internet connectivity makes sense as an option as do apps (especially for FW upgrades), but it would be nice to know if anyone still makes "display" only TVs
Another nice idea would be manufacturers including customizable SoCs that could handle some variant of XBMC. If a decent software house were to get involved with the firmware or an open source option was available, the term "Smart" would actually be given justice when describing the TV

My Sharp 80" can access Netflix etc, but most importantly my Plex server. Anything can be played from the server...wait, let me take it back, not anything, just something.
But I bought it for the size, not for DLNA or , as you said, half-baked HTPC features biggrin.gif

Actually, cheap Chinese Android stick can turn any TV into smart TV for around $30-50. I mean it. I have one attached to my bedroom Visio 32" TV and it is marvelous.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
galileo2000 is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Karyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Here's a story about the new Samsungs, which purportedly have more powerful processors than the typical current Smart TV.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/145072-samsungs-new-quad-core-tv-could-be-powerful-enough-to-actually-be-a-smart-tv
Karyk is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 24,265
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

No. They aren't that smart. It basically streams from the web and has weather apps.

That seems a gimmick feature. I can do that from basically everything in my house already... lol

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,442
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Smart TVs bring back the memories of TVs with built in DVD players, VCRs, all in one PCs with the PC built into the monitor...

We all know where that trend went.
kapone is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
To me they look like a giant tablet littered with tiles and icons.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 214
The BIGGEST problem with them (and probably one of htpc's top advantages) is upgradability - and not just in terms of hardware.

LG started putting Flash on their smart tv's - which was great. But they never updated it, so if the web video you tried to watch said to download the newer version you were sol.

The manufacturers seem to be trying to create development platforms that will be consistent year to year, but many of the tv sets and bluray players are getting left behind as new things are being developed and new hardware released - just like many smartphones.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is online now  
post #41 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Karyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That seems a gimmick feature. I can do that from basically everything in my house already... lol

Please post a picture of your streaming toilet! wink.gif
Karyk is offline  
post #42 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
ljo000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You want a screen with no excess features? Get a projector! However, just because a TV has Smart apps, doesn't mean you have to use them. For me Vizio is good for secondary locations as they include amazon prime.
ljo000 is offline  
post #43 of 43 Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

You want a screen with no excess features? Get a projector! However, just because a TV has Smart apps, doesn't mean you have to use them. For me Vizio is good for secondary locations as they include amazon prime.

Yes, but not exactly practical in everybody's situation. I, for example, have a Family Room for a HT and it has light bleeding in and white walls to boot.

Sammy2 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off