Intermittent Choppy Playback of 1080p over Blu ray and Hard Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an HTPC that provides content in my Home Theater to a Panasonic AE 7000. Until a couple of months or so ago, I was getting perfect playback but lately at intermittent times, the video will temporarily freeze up, then correct, then stutter again. I've noticed this only seems to happen with 1080p content whether from Blu Ray or network. I have not noticed this so far from direct Hard Drive in local machine.

Here are my specs:

MSI nforce 730i Chipset Motherboard
2 Core Quad 6600
2 GB Memory
LG Blu ray / HD DVD Combo Drive
AMD HD 6850 Video Card
Windows 7 SP1 32 bit

I use Media Browser and the internal player for playing movies off hard drive and TMT 3 for playing Blu-rays.

At first I noticed the starting and stalling of playback streamed over my gigabit network from my media server. I thought it might be network related so changed some cords and ports and it temporarily went away... until the next time I fired up the system to play and got it again.

I got Bond 50 for Christmas and playing all the new Blu Rays was when I really started to notice the problem also occurs when playing Blu Rays. This is not judder, it literally plays in fits and starts, corrects for a bit and does the same thing again. For example we were watching Goldfinger and got 2/3 through the movie when it started to act up. I went to a standard def version where I had backed up my Goldfinger DVD and streamed it over the network and played fine and completed the showing.

I've tried changing refersh rate and disabling and reenabling Hardware acceleration without affecting the result. I measured CPU usage and it was in single digits during DXVA and up to 60% without DXVA. Memory was not maxed out.

I ran SpeedFan to check for temps and it showed CPU operating in the 30's C and the GPU operating at 54C. I'm not sure where to go next for a solution so I need some help. Do give up and buy a standalone network Blu Ray player?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page